Cisco Systems Network Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems Network Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Cisco Systems

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied in person at a campus event and had an on-campus interview the week after. The interviewer was very nice and was mainly behavioral questions and the interviewer reviewed my resume with me. I asked the interviewer about the different roles that interns may have at Cisco. I received an offer about a month after my interview.

Interview Questions

• Why Cisco? What was the most significant thing you learned from your previous internship?   Answer Question

I wasn't interested in a network engineer position.

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Research Triangle Park, NC) in September 2016.

Interview

Four interviews in total: first round consisted of one on campus interview. Asked me behavioral questions.

Final round was three interviews: Behavioral, presentation and technical. In the technical interview, make sure to say I DO NOT KNOW, if you don't know the answer to the question. DO NOT BLUFF

Interview Questions

• Present about something that cisco is providing new to the world today?

How do you talk between two different hosts on two different vlans? What is port channeling? What is STP?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Greensboro, NC) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a WebEx interview, which consisted of basic and behavioral questions. It would have been technical but the interview is tailored to your resume, so the more technical your resume is, the more technical questions they will ask. I was also asked two "problem-solving" questions.

Interview Questions

• Q. Do you know any Cisco router or switch products?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online. Was contacted about a week after. I had a webex meeting with one of the manager. About a week later I received a rejection letter ( we regret to inform you... you are not a good fit...). I thought that was it I didn't get the job fine i'll move on. BUT I received an email after another week asking me to come for an on-site interview... WHAAT??... OK.. Sure
    They flew m to their HQs in San Jose. Nice city, nice hotel. The interview was divided into three parts:
    Core: more like behavioral, Be honest, don't say you never made a mistake, own it. If you do not know an answer to something it's okay to tell them you don't know!
    Presentation: Choose a innovation topic connected to Cisco, I did IoE
    Technical: Very hard. It's as though they where trying to find your weak points. Like they keep asking you questions until they find a topic you don't know and examine your reaction to it. again its okay to say you don't know, with Cisco it works this way , with other companies like Google never give up.

Interview Questions

• STP, VLAN, IP, Subnetting, ARP, How a packets are sent from one workstation to another, Network connectivity troubleshooting, Know the Basics!   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

Since I was applying from across the country it was all handled over phone and webex. There was a primary phone call that lasted about half an hour and had questions that gauged knowledge on basic to advanced networking concepts.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Had an interview over webex about some basic stuff. STP, why a router is needed etc. The person who interviewed me was really nice and helped me out when I stumbled on a question. Heard back about 3 weeks later about an in person interview. 3 different interviews, Behavioral, presentation and technical. Behavioral was just a conversation, nothing stressful. Presentation was just 1-on-1 so no need to stress about it. I didn't know about that and spent way too much time creating mine. Now the technical.... I got torn apart in mine. It wasn't that it was difficult, just the interviewer really drilled down into details to the point where I pretty much forgot some basic stuff. It's difficult if you don't have a really solid grasp on networking. If you have solid CCNA level knowledge that you can easily explain to non-techies, you will ace it. Just know the basics of how switchers and routers talk to each other and tell them when you don't know a topic. Don't try to guess. If I could do it again, I would have spent way more time brushing up on my CCNA level knowledge instead of presentation. I was told within 3 days that I did not get the job. Interview took place in November 2016 at San Jose and this was a University Jobs application.

Interview Questions

• How does a switch talk to another switch? What would you do if your phone lost connection at Starbucks? How would you troubleshoot?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

2 Rounds. First round was behavioral. Typical questions asking about my background in CS, any projects I have, etc. Second round was Technical. They asked 3 questions. All 3 were related to data structures and algorithms. Pretty basic stuff.They got back to me within 3 days both times.

Interview Questions

• What's the least amount of time it would take to sort an array from smallest to largest   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered pay that was commensurate with my experience and around the industry average. Since it was my first internship I didn't feel like I had much room to negotiate so I took it. I had friends who were able to negotiate up to $35 an hour because of previous experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

Went to Cisco's "Day in the Lobby" at my University. The recruiter was very pleasant and eager to set up an interview for me. The interview date was set to three weeks after I spoke with the recruiter. The interviewer made me feel very comfortable, but he expected precise answers. Make sure to know the basics of the OSI Model, how the internet works, and routing and switching protocols

Interview Questions

• Explain the difference between OSPF and IEGRP   1 Answer

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

I met a recruiter on my campus and they scheduled me for an interview at the end of that same week. My interview was a one on one. I was asked mostly questions about my resume and if the job sounded interesting and if I thought I had the skills they were looking for. I was also asked a few simple technical questions about networking for the interviewer to gauge my skill level. My interviewer helped me through the questions and gave me an example before asking me the more in-depth questions. Still waiting to hear response/decision from Cisco. It's been a week.

Interview Questions

• What is an IP address?   3 Answers
    • What is the lowest and highest IP address that could exist on a network, given a specific subnet mask?   1 Answer
    • What is a subnet mask?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

Was offered interview after visiting career fair. Interview was the same week. Only one or two HR type questions, rest were more technical. uestions ranged from problem solving to knowing terminology. Interviewer was very friendly and I never felt pressured.

Interview Questions

• Find the lowest possible number a times you would need to use a scale to find an outlier (heavier or smaller) in a group of otherwise similar objects   1 Answer