Cisco Systems Network Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems Network Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 5, 2018

61 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA).

Interview

I interned for Cisco during the summer of 2017. I applied for a full time position for this role back in June 2017. I heard back about my application at the end of September and was invited for a Cisco Day; this took place at the end of October. I think there were around 25 candidates. We were split into groups of 4. We were given an overview of the company and the roles we were interviewing for as well. There are three rounds of interviews: behavioral, presentation and technical.

-Behavioral

Meet with a manager and basically asks the "tell me about yourself" question. Asks about hobbies and why you would like to work for Cisco.

-Presentation

You need to choose a topic to present on prior to coming to the Cisco Day. You are given a list of available topics. Try to keep the presentation slides to a minimum and choose your words wisely since most Cisco interviewers do not want to just read off of the power point. This interviews evaluates your public speaking and presentation skills.

-Technical

You are given different scenarios in which you need to troubleshoot the network topology and come up with a solution. I had 6 different scenarios. Make sure you know your CCNA fundamentals. Out of all the interviews this was the most difficult and only interview in which two engineers interviewed me at the same time.

The Network Engineer position has two roles:

Network Consulting Engineer
Customer Support Engineer

Depending on your preference and experience, you would be assigned accordingly.

Interview Questions

• I think all the questions were fair.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I was contacted through a conference to interview for this position. The first was a phone screen where the engineer asked me networking basic questions and how to troubleshoot. After that, I was flown out to San Jose, CA for Cisco Day. The interview consisted of 3 rounds (technical, behavior, and presentation). My behavior and presentation interviewers were really nice. Two people interviewed me for the technical round, and one of them was extremely rude and condescending. The technical interview consisted of troubleshooting scenarios. It also involved subnet calculations. I was told by one of the interviewers that if you are interested in coding and software engineering, then this is not a good position to be in because a network engineer mostly deals with customers and is on the phone all day.

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Very difficult. Alot of technical questions about stuff unrelated to the position. The interviewer was unprofessional and asked questions to technncal and hard without prior knowledge of a full technical interview

Interview Questions

• I was asked alot of questions on a certification exam that had no relation to the current position I was applying for. The interviewer kept asking in regards to this even though it wasn't expected   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Tempe, AZ) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied through college recruiting and within 2 weeks was called into a campus interview.
    Within one week was called to interview in San Jose for the final round interviews which include behavioral, technical, and a presentation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in September 2017.

Interview

At first, i had a phone screening and then I had an interview on webex and then there an on-site interview which is called CISCO day. This process really took only 3 weeks of a span. Had to do a presentation in the choosen project.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in September 2017.

Interview

Initially got a call through career fair. Was called for an on campus interview. The interview was very basic with basic logical reasoning and resume based networking questions. It lasted for about 35 mins.

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

I met a recruiter on my campus and they scheduled me for an interview at the end of that same week. My interview was a one on one. I was asked mostly questions about my resume and if the job sounded interesting and if I thought I had the skills they were looking for. I was also asked a few simple technical questions about networking for the interviewer to gauge my skill level. My interviewer helped me through the questions and gave me an example before asking me the more in-depth questions. Still waiting to hear response/decision from Cisco. It's been a week.

Interview Questions

• What is an IP address?   3 Answers
    • What is the lowest and highest IP address that could exist on a network, given a specific subnet mask?   Answer Question
    • What is a subnet mask?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

Was offered interview after visiting career fair. Interview was the same week. Only one or two HR type questions, rest were more technical. uestions ranged from problem solving to knowing terminology. Interviewer was very friendly and I never felt pressured.

Interview Questions

• Find the lowest possible number a times you would need to use a scale to find an outlier (heavier or smaller) in a group of otherwise similar objects   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

Met Cisco rep at a job fair and applied online for co-op position. Conducted a video chat interview covering soft skills and hard skills. The technical questions were rudimentary and did not require any problem-solving.

Interview Questions

• Describe the 7-layer OSI model   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

Met a Cisco rep at a campus recruitment event. The guy hyped me up for the network engineer position even though I didn't have great experience with networks specifically. He told me they were looking for transferable skills.
    I interviewed a week later, and the interviewer was a young software developer who was arrogant and acted like he did not want to be there. The questions were very technical, which surprised me after my conversation with the rep. He asked a combination of puzzle questions and very specific networking questions.

Interview Questions

• If you could cut a donut 3 times, what cuts would give you the most pieces?   Answer Question