Cisco Systems Interview Questions in North Carolina | Glassdoor

Updated May 11, 2017

3.1

JIRA Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

Webex with manager and 2 staff members, it was a very streamlined and get to the point process allowing both sides to get a good idea of what things would be like.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions on linux and jira. It was refreshing to have tech questions on the first go instead of the normal HR generic questions that are generally outdated and irrelevant.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Research Triangle Park, NC) in March 2017.

Interview

I took part in three steps:
    1. Skills quiz with 50 questions which need be solved for 30 minutes. There were 5 different themes in the quiz: Groovy/Java, Gradle, Docker, Logical
    2. Phone interview. Questions about my experience and some general questions about technologies like "what are benefits of using DI?".
    3. Face to face interview with three people. I was asked about understanding different technologies, drawing on the board a scheme of a simple web service.

Interview Questions

• What is docker and how do you understand it? What are the benefits of using docker?   1 Answer
    • How React virtual DOM is redrawn?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

I went to Cisco's networking night at my college and had a mini-interview with a recruiter. I gave her my resume and applied online, and was then contacted to interview for a position within the company. The interview was fairly relaxed, and I didn't get asked any technical questions, but it seemed like I was extremely under qualified for the position based on the questions he was asking me.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the projects you've worked on?   Answer Question
    • Are you familiar with any other languages (Python, Ruby, etc.)?   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online via my university's job finding service and was contacted a couple days later for an interview at my university's career development center. It was a single interview that lasted for approximately 45 minutes and consisted of some very interesting back and forth conversation between myself and a network engineer from Cisco. There were very few technical questions asked, and most were very open-ended and had more to do with what my academic experience entailed thus far as well as how I view networking as a field. IoT technology was also a heavy go-to topic due to Cisco's direction as a company.

After almost two whole months in limbo, I finally received a decision explaining that I was not selected for the position. I was very, very disappointed with how status updates were refused to be given by Cisco's HR and how poor the overall communication was, though that still doesn't tilt it into a negative overall experience for me due to how awesome the interviewer in particular was.

Interview Questions

• What do you know of IoT and adjacent technologies to the phenomena of (IoT)?   2 Answers

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

Was offered interview after visiting career fair. Interview was the same week. Only one or two HR type questions, rest were more technical. uestions ranged from problem solving to knowing terminology. Interviewer was very friendly and I never felt pressured.

Interview Questions

• Find the lowest possible number a times you would need to use a scale to find an outlier (heavier or smaller) in a group of otherwise similar objects   1 Answer

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Going through the motions... if they already have an internal candidate, they have to interview 3 people for legal process. LOTS of work and build up when the hiring manager already knows you are not the one. Usually the actual manager will not even do an interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Networking questions asked.
    Programming.
    Interviewer was a good guy.
    High level programming languages expected
    Good networking concepts needed.
    L2 L3 concepts.
    Programming language like python is helpful.
    Not many behavioral questions.
    Maybe in the next round.
    Cisco certifications like CCNA or CCNP or CCIE help.
    Give you more scope of discussion.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Research Triangle Park, NC) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied for a Recruiting Coordinator position, was contacted by the agency that handles contract employees for Cisco. Basic phone interview, went over my background and the opportunities they had available.

A few days later, the recruiter contacted me to set up an in-person interview. The interview process had 10 people in it. We were all given a presentation about Cisco and the position. Then each of us was interviewed by two separate people and given a written assessment. Overall, there was a lot of waiting around.

The in-person interviews were standard. The interviewers were friendly and professional. The written assessment was not particularly hard. It was looking to determine your attention to detail and your customer service skills.

Overall, it was a good experience. The recruiter prepared me well for what to expect.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Research Triangle Park, NC).

Interview

Met with 4 individuals separately over the telephone. Each had a core interest in the role since they were supported by this financial analyst.
    The first interview was face to face but others were over the phone since they were located in other states. Each interviewer was pleasant and the questions were fair and related to the role at hand.

Interview Questions

• Experience with multi-tasking.   1 Answer

Associate Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in November 2016.

Interview

Tips
    1. This position is EXTREMELY competitive. Show that you want this job.
    2. If you don't know something during the interview process, don't BS, admit it.
    3. It is impossible to feel fully prepared during this interview process. Understand the basics on what they're going to ask you about and be able to explain it to someone who has no idea about the subject. 4. Don't get too wound up into the technical, it's a waste of time for now.
    5. Find a way to stand out from the rest of the applicants. For me, I have previous sales experience and a music background.
    6. Sales experience. I can't emphasize this point enough. This gave me a very competitive edge. Even if you haven't sold anything before, practice role playing with people who have.
    7. They're looking for people who can hold conversations, are honest, have sales/business acumen and will work hard. Treat interviews as conversations.
    8. Don't be hostile to other candidates during the final round. Make friends, not enemies. You never know when someone can give you some great advice or hook you up with a job opportunity in the future.
    9. Connect with current CSAP employees to answer questions you may have. Talk to your recruiter.
    10. DO NOT WRITE ON THE WHITEBOARD AND SPEAK AT THE SAME TIME.

~Every year the interviews are run slightly different~

Round 1: 2 Minute Video
    Cisco gives you about 2 weeks(?) to make a video answering a behavioral question.
    I did a little bit of editing and had a photography friend help me out. Dress nicely and tell a story relating your 3 points.

Round 2: WebEx Interview
    All ASE applicants had 2 parts to this interview: behavioral and technical. This will be done over WebEx (Cisco's version of Skype) and will be about an hour in length.

Behavioral:
    Don't BS. Your interviewer will ask a variety of behavioral questions. The STAR approach is great for organizing your ideas and answering questions.

Technical:
    Cisco provides 3 questions to have answered before through code. Further questions were asked based on these 3 questions to test my knowledge. Personally, I felt I dropped the ball with my responses. I forgot what polymorphism is and couldn't give a good response to the differences between functions and variables in python. Because of this, I followed up this interview with emails explaining my answers with both words and more code. I think if I didn't do this I would have probably been knocked out this round.

Round 3: Final Interview
    They will fly you down to their training/research facility in Raleigh, North Carolina for a day of interviews. As mentioned above, this is a whole day with other applicants who spent just as much or more time than you preparing for this interview. Study hard, work hard and be confident. Remember, they wouldn't be investing this much time into you if they weren't interested. Interviewers will be in person or over WebEx. The interview process is divided into 4 activities in no precise order:

Aptitude test
    10 hard multiple choice questions you can't study for. Even if you get just 2 right, it doesn't mean you're disqualified. Quick tip for this: I think Cisco wants to see how you handle failure before going into the other parts of the interview. Don't think too much about this section. You can't control the past, only the present to shape your future.

Behavioral interview
    For this one I was in front of 2 managers. The first part consists of behavioral questions. The second part of this also tested my knowledge of networks. For this part, Cisco gives you an hour video explaining all of the information that will be asked. Given the off chance that the interviewer asks you something you don't know, admit it. Do not BS. Work your way through a solution and email the interviewer afterwards with a correct answer. Treat as a conversation.

Sales Role Play
    This is where you show your sales/business acumen. You will be provided with a test case weeks before the interview to study. Consider this. How much does the potential client know about networking? Do they need someone else to sign off on an investment like this? What is the most important problem they need fixed? Provide studies and cases to affirm your solutions through a conversation. Use the whiteboard. Don't go over 20 minutes.

Presentation
    For this part you'll have 10 minutes to explain something to 3 Cisco Employees.
    How does Cisco's Digital Network Architecture (DNA) provide customers a competitive edge?
    This may seem basic, but remember to answer the question. Engage the audience and explain things through analogies. Use the whiteboard.

I received a letter of intent to hire the next day. Others may take weeks.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't try to negotiate nor do I think you can.