Cisco Systems Principal Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems Principal Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2017

3.7

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Bengaluru (India)) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview Questions

• networking os general programming questions c, c++ with data structures and algortihms, routing algortihms, semaphores, reader's writers lock, multi threading concepts, previous work experience, resume walk, previous projects work related to job role applied for   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Principal Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2011.

Interview

Initially Cisco manager called me for a phone screening via' email exchanges and called on time for a 20 mins technical evaluation. Later heard from recruiter who sent me agenda for the onsite interview. 6 people interviewed me varying from senior engineers, leads, manager and the director. All were very technical and grilled me in depth on my Linux and virtualization experience. It was a interesting mix of technical and problem (analytical) problem skills questions. Interview went very well as I expected.

Interview Questions

• How do you debug a data corruption problem in network driver developer   1 Answer
    • What are you leaving your current job?   1 Answer

Principal Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems in September 2010.

Interview

I was contacted via phone by a Cisco recruiter in response to my online application. Cisco was very slow to schedule interviews, which included a telepresence (video conference) with the hiring manager and 6 phone interviews with various team members. But once the interviews were complete a job offer was very quick to arrive.

Interview Questions

• What are the biggest challenges facing the network industry?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated a slightly higher base pay and a much higher annual bonus, as well as a fairly large relocation bonus, simply by challenging the recruiter with competing job offers. They responded most sharply to job offers from Cisco competitors, but were also responsive to non-competitor job offers. I didn't provide details on the companies, just on their offers, and the recruiter pushed for Cisco to beat these slightly.

One negative note: the benefits are ok on the surface, but there are some caveats that I wasn't aware of until after being hired. This includes a medical plan that has a deductible instead of a co-pay, i.e. for doctor visits. Also, the company has a mandatory PTO period around the Christmas / New Years holiday every year. The effect of this mandatory PTO, if you're not already planning to take those days off, is that your 20 days of PTO is reduced to 15 days that you can use as desired plus 5 extra holiday days off around Christmas. However you want to look at it, I felt cheated because it wasn't described to me until after I accepted the new job. (My former job gave me 25 days PTO in addition to 10 regular holidays, so I feel this difference pretty severely.)