Cisco Systems Interview Questions in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Interviews at Cisco Systems

2.9

Community Relations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First round consisted of very standard interview questions, and meeting, via WebEx, with two members of the Community Relations team.

I would like to high-light that I felt like the interviewers didn't take the process seriously (or just didn't take me seriously as a candidate)--and I say this, because one of the interviewers had her boyfriend laying in the background during the WebEx interview. It was a bit strange, uncomfortable and, personally, I think it high-lighted a lack of professionalism. Ultimately, I didn't get the job--but after the interview experience, I knew this wasn't a team I would be interested in joining.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel your skill-sets align with the position? Have you worked on projects where you had to coordinate with multiple departments?

The questions were easy and standard...nothing surprising.   2 Answers

Cisco Systems Response

Feb 19, 2019 – Social Media Manager

We appreciate the honest review - we can't get better if we don't know what candidates are saying. We can't blame you for not wanting to join a team where an interviewer made you uncomfortable. We... More

Consulting Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in July 2008.

Interview

Internal transfer, and was offered the job without any real interview

Interview Questions

• How would you like to join sales?   1 Answer

Negotiation

none

Consulting Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Several telephone technical interviews followed by several deep and intense technical and business level interviews. I was thoroughly questioned on the technologies that I was expected to be a subject matter expert for. I was also thoroughly questioned on the state of the markets and what were the most important areas of technology that I thought were going to impact organizations world wide.

Interview Questions

• What technologies do you see as being the primary focus of the industry in both the near (couple of years) and long (five years+) terms.   1 Answer

Contract Negotiator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Had a 7 person panel interview, followed by an interview by HR at 9:30 p.m. HR offered an excessively low salary (less than half of my previous salary), and when I informed HR of that, their response was "Well, maybe this isn't where you want to work, then."

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Cisco was very arrogant in their HR/negotiation process, and came in with very low salaries, confident that their stock options were a huge draw; wheras the stock price dropped immediately after being hired, and never recovered (for 12 years!), which made compensation extremely low, and Cisco never tried to correct that.

Associate Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA).

Interview

You can apply at any time for an Associate Systems Engineer position in the US, but they typically only do two interview days each year, sometimes only one. They typically occur around October-November and April-May. Applicants for the Sales Associates Program must be less than 2 years out of college as well, so if you're beyond that, talk to a recruiter about other opportunities available.

Leading up to the interview day, there are typically two steps to trim down the applicant pool: a short 2-minute video submission on a given topic, and a virtual video interview with someone. These may be reversed depending on when/where you apply. The video interview is typically with someone who has gone through the training program before, and it's fairly informal.

About 20-30 applicants are invited to the interview days on-site at either North Carolina or San Jose if you're applying for a US position, and typically last from about 9am to 4-5pm. A couple activities to expect are a written technical skills test, a behavioral interview with 1-3 interviewers, a role-playing sales interview, and a presentation on a topic they give you in advance. If you make it through all of this and are extended an offer, you should hear back in a week or two.

Overall I felt the interview was a good test of skills needed for the job/training program. If you enjoy the interview process, you will probably enjoy the program. If you felt the interviews or questions were silly, this probably isn't a good job for you.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected part for me was during the presentation. Don't be surprised if someone intentionally stops paying attention (i.e. starts checking their e-mail on their phone). They want to see how you handle it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There's not much salary negotiation to be had in this program. Each year the training group's salary is set, and it's the same for everyone. Your re-location package might be up for debate, but I felt mine was generous and didn't argue it.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

initial phone screening by the implementation partner (Tech M), after that the scheduled for a webex interview, its a Code challenge. it was easy and questions are mostly from Core java. this doesnt help you much if you are appling for a fulltime position

Interview Questions

• interview questions completely Depends on the requirement and i applied for the contract position so these questions doesnt help you much   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Milpitas, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with an online coding test. Interviewed by phone with technical questions. Then interviewed onsite by 3 developers.

It took a long time to hear back about the offer. Over a month in fact. This was out of the control of the recruiter and the company so I can't complain but it certainly wasn't a good experience waiting that long. The actual interview experience was great. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. No arrogance at all compared to other companies / interviews.

Interview Questions

• Write a singleton class in Java.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA).

Interview

I was directly called for an onsite interview. Couple of guys asked programming questions on the board. They were usually hard questions. The interviewers were friendly guys from different nations. The whole process took about 2 hours.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

Cisco hiring is very intensive. It is a 5 round process. Usually they will ask whats on your resume.
    They will test your automation skills. It ends with talk with Project manager and Director.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

1. Define Storage Classes and explain application domain.
    register - tell to the compiler for use a CPU register for fast aceess for that variable.

auto - it's a variable created and initialized when it is defined. It is not visible outside of the block.

static - defined inside of the function retain its value between calls. Always is initialized with 0. Defined as global in a file is visible on for the functions from that file.

extern - the definition of the variable is in another file.

2. Define the Storage Qualifiers

const - define a variable that can not change its value along the program execution.

volatile - define a variable that can be changed indirectly. An example can be a counter register that is updated by hardware.

mutuable - a member of a structure or object can be changed even if the structure, for example is declared const:

Ex: struct complex {mutuable int x; int y;};

const complex Mycomplex = {1, 2};

Mycomplex.x = 3; /* correct */

3. Give an example for a variable "const" and "volatile". Is it possible?

Yes, a status register for a microcontroller.

4. Detect if a linked list is circular.

Need to use 2 pointers, one incrementing by 1 and another by 2. If the list is circular, then pointer that is incremented by 2 elements will pass over the first pointer.

5. Have you any remarks?

#define res(a) a*a

Using in this form the result will not be like we expect. Thinking that "a" is replaced with (2+3), then we will obtain 2+3*2+3 = 11 instead (2+3)*(2+3) = 25.

Use always #define res(a) (a)*(a)

6. Define a "dangling" pointer

Dangling pointer is obtained by using the address of an object which was freed.

7. Any difference between "const int*ptr" and int *const ptr" ?

Yes, it's a major difference. First define a constant data and second define a constant pointer.

8. What is the declaration and definition of a variable?

The definition contains the implementation for a method or variable declaration. This is just an example.

9. Give a solution for a stack overflow situation.

func_call() {

funct_call();

}

Every time the above function is called the return address is stored onto the stack. Calling in this infinite loop will cause a stack overflow.

10. Give 4 examples for an infinite loop.

a. while (1) {}