Cisco Systems Interview Questions in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

Interviews at Cisco Systems

2.9

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in May 2008.

Interview

My opinion is limited obviously to the one experience I have had. My first contact was with the recruiter. The recruiter was very friendly and gave me a good overview of what the team did and what the job role was. He sent me the detailed job description which helped me prepare for the interview. It was followed by a 30 minute phone interview. Onsite interview soon followed - which was fully technical - "C" coding questions and OS and Networking questions and some design questions -- all of above average difficulty level.

Interview Questions

• Delete a node in a linked list.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in March 2009.

Interview

I got in through University recruitment program. I had 2 rounds one on campus at the school and the other one at the company's head quarters.
    Interview was very long and asked everything from A-Z
    There were 8 people in all who interviewed me other than a director and a VP.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

They asked the usual interview questions. They try to see at what level you are in your skills. They are very quick to respond if they choose you.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever disagreed with a collegue and/or professor and what did you do?   Answer Question
    • What class did you think was least useful?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Milpitas, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

The HR keeps asking about what courses I have taken in my graduate study. I list some courses about computer engineering. It seems she is not satisfied with that. And she asked me again about what other courses except the CS course ....

And she also asked why cisco, why chose cisco and why should cisco need me

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

got an interview from employee referral, everything went smoothly, mostly nontechnical question (even though it was an engineering position). heard a word from manager that my offer was being processed, and then the whole financial fiasco started. they had a major hiring freeze for couple of quarters, and finally decided not to hire for that position due to budget cut.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

Applied online.
    Initial phone screening for 2.5 hrs. Discussions involving OS concepts, DS, algorithms, resume based projects, some amount of behavioral.
    Scheduled second round involving a series of 4 webex interviews on the same day.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

I submitted my resume through Cisco.com for a Software Engineering internship position. It took about a month for them to contact me back. The recruiter called me for a phone interview, the questions were pretty easy. It's more of a review of my resume and background. I was called into an onsite interview about a week later with the hiring manager. The questions were pretty easy, I guess it was because I was applying for an internship position. He asked me basic PHP questions, how does web application works, some networking fundamentals and some design questions. Then, I was interviewed individually by the entire team and extended team. It was a pretty long 5 hours interview. The interviewer were really nice and took a lot of notes during the interviews. You should really study and prepare for the interviews in both technical and soft skills questions. They offered me the internship about two weeks later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

There are no self-introduction part or CV questions. It went straight forward to a program analysis question, asking me to figure out all the possible errors in that program. Some are obvious syntax error. But there are some errors that are not obvious and require a sound programming foundation. There might be some other questions after this but when I failed to solve this question. The interviewer showed no further interest and stopped the interview. The 1 on 1 interview is stressful and the interviewer hope to find someone who are really experienced with programming, regardless of what programming language he / she is using.

Interview Questions

• Find all errors in a program   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Milpitas, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

I had two phone interviews (one including the manager). After a week and a half, I was invited to have an onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of 6 one-on-one meetings with members from the team including members from other teams (which included a hardware perspective and architecture perspective). Once the on-site interview was complete, I was told they were interested and they asked what amount I was looking for.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach updating a code-base to support 64-bit?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, they agreed to what I offered.

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Milpitas, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

Cisco Recruiter called me that she is trying to fill a position for past several months and she thinks my profile on LinkedIn is perfect fit. I ask her to send job description. When she did and I reviewed, I said it is not perfect fit. She said, it is match - she suggested me to speak to Tech Leader. I spoke to Tech Leader and he did a phone screen as well. Then, after a week or so, I went for an in-person interview with 4 engineers... for about 4 hrs. Then, after another week, there was another in-person interview with 2 more engineers, 2 directors. Then, they made me an offer - negotiation, reference checks etc took another 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a thread pool in Java?
      Why do you need threads?
      How do you detect stale db connections?
      Can you do code review of this class from my code? (Interviewer shared code)
      Design for several readers reading from queue and several writers writing into it
      Details on how a web-app is developed
      What happens end to end when user types a URL to view books on Amazon.com
      Singleton - how to write for delayed instantiation but also thread safety   Answer Question

Negotiation

Their base salaries are usually lesser than start-ups. Don't compare base salaries alone and compare total package. I asked for a sign-on bonus as they mentioned they can't go higher in base salary. They offered 10k lower than what I asked but, gave that in sign-on bonus.
    Bonus is big part of Cisco package. Every year employees get bonus based on their grade. E.g. a grade 10 employee has 15% as bonus target. Now, employees get anywhere from 0% to 300% of their bonus target, based on performance. i.e. if an extremely well performing grade 10 employee is there - he can get up to 45% of base salary bonus and poorly performing employee can get only 0%. So, there's reward to being good employee at Cisco, not just hard working but collaborative.
    So, don't overlook bonus part when you get offer.