Cisco Systems Software Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems Software Engineer II Interview Questions

Interviews at Cisco Systems

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in August 2007.

Interview

1 hour phone interview. Topics were on Network concepts, Resume, projects, Operating system basics, Data structures, Algorithms and others. Overall understanding of network concepts would be helpful to clear the phone interview. Onsite interview would be all day long with 5-6 individual 1 hour interviews.

Interview Questions

• How would you find size of structure without using sizeof operator?   1 Answer
  • How would you reverse a single linked list?
    How would you define bit fields in C?
    What are the common IPC techniques in UNIX?
    What is the difference between micro-kernel and macro-kernel?
    Briefly explain the need for memory protection
    Why do we need POSIX standards?
    Thread synchronization and critical sections
    Instruction pipelining
    TCP connection establishment and tear down process
    MIPS architecture and need for RISC processors in Embedded environment
    C questions to check familiarity with pointer arithmetic.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

I did an on campus interview which went pretty well. I was invited for onsite, and that's where all the trouble started: the Cisco Travel got me a flight that would arrive after the interview! I had to call them and eventually this was fixed. Then the recruiter messed up and for some weired reason she had disqualified me and canceled my flight, and did not notify me! I go to the airport, 2 in the morning, I don't have a ticket! Anyway, the story goes on and on, and despite a dozen of emails and phone calls, they still haven't interviewed me! A very unorganized company.

Interview Questions

• Print the elements in a linked list in reverse order.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview was very relaxed, although I was tensed in the first place. It was completely conducted online on WebEx. I had several interview sessions. The first stage was about me, mostly what I have been doing so far, then they asked me about a few real situations, so I share my opinion. They told me about the team and current projects. After the interview I felt I'd get hired, and I was.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

Got the call through an employee referral. Phone screening included a simple coding round. Later there were 3 onsite interviews with the manager, lead and one more developer from the same team.

Interview Questions

• NDAed. Basic data structures and algorithms. Interview is not that hard compared to other top Bay area companies like Facebook and Google.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

The manager of the team called and took a 1 hour phone screen round which was resume based. Immediately called onsite since I'm a local candidate. Onsite interview was a rigorous 4 hour interview, with questions about my work and past experience, along with a few C programming questions and basic networking/ OS questions

Interview Questions

• C programming questions typically asked in interviews.   1 Answer

Negotiation

In some cases, negotiation works.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Basically more from the resume and less technical. The interviewer asked a lot about the past projects and what was the challenging part in those projects. He made sure I worked on all my projects and gave a healthy contribution.

Some simple technical questions related to Java and DB

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging project that you took?   1 Answer
    • CRUD operations of MongoDB and why MongoDB over other DBs?   1 Answer
    • Why Cisco?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Had a 30 min phone interview with one engineer. Discussed my school projects mostly.
    Then was called fora a full day onsite interview with 5 engineers. Asked questions on string manipulation, perl scripting , network technologies (TCPIP, UDP mostly), testing questions

Interview Questions

• In case on telephonic communications which is preferred TCP or UDP   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Santa Clara, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

It is a campus interview so things maybe look different. Most likely they will go through your resume and ask your questions on your project. My project focus on big data so they ask me a lot of questions on that.

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Columbus, OH) in August 2013.

Interview

campus interviews, I had only one interview , they selected based on grade point average , interview was kind of a formality. It was only a 45 minute interview conducted by 2 Cisco engineers

Interview Questions

• resume based
      how does ping work
      Data structures ti store ip address   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

Phone Interview, followed by onsite interview.

Interviewed by 7-8 people on site.

Small code snippets to write in C : reverse arrays, linked lists etc.

Design a stack.

Specific questions around TCP/IP, IPv6. Routing algorithms.

Got an indication of an offer on the day of the interview itself..but the official offer took 5 weeks to arrive.

Interview Questions

• TCP/IP fundamentals.
      Challenging work situation, team play.   Answer Question