Cisco Systems Software Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems Software Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated Feb 7, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

This is for Master's in CS university recruitment:
3 rounds spanning over 2 weeks (I had another offer waiting, but it seems like it can go on for up to 4 weeks if you don't rush it)

1st Interview (45 minutes): Done over WebEx (one of cisco's web conferencing tools): This was mostly behavioral; we went over my internships on my resume and some classes. It was more of a conversation rather than him drilling questions

2nd interview (45 minutes): Phone interview with hiring manager of a team. This was more technical over OO questions and data structures. Some simple questions about algorithms as well, nothing that you can't do off the top of your head. Questions were tailored based off of my resume/classes taken.

3rd Interview (1.5 hours): Done over WebEx and met with 3 different people, each 30 minutes. Technical questions varied, but no coding questions asked. They were more interested in asking about industry experience conventions ie Agile, Test driven development, and some networking questions and some audio/visual encoding questions.
This might vary based off of your resume as the first thing I was asked was if I was doing real development work at my current internship (Which I was). There is a whiteboarding feature on the WebEx tool, so be prepared for some coding questions if you have the same process as me, but I believe they have an older school of thought when it comes to interviewing (they will emphasize experience first, over your ability to solve some dynamic programming question in a time frame).

Overall impressions:
-Go over data structures and OO (mine was C++ based so I had virtual tables, pointers and so on type questions)
-If you have networking background, go over that (I did an internship with Bluetooth, so I was asked about that stack)
-Review resume
-Do some array based coding practice questions just in case

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Dallas, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Cisco has a pathetic interview process. It has been more than 50 days since my second interview but I haven't yet heard back. HR is also not replying. I got a call from career fair in my school. The first interview was scheduled the next day face to face with one of their engineers. This was technical interview. One month after this interview I got call for another interview. Second interviewer was some Manager and this was behavioral interview - standard HR questions. After this I got an email which said that my applications is under consideration. I haven't heard back from them after that. I don't understand why do these guys hire recruiters if all the interview process is so miserable and poor.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of strings find the common prefix. e.g. -> (Cots, Cot, Cotton, coterminal) Ans: cot   1 Answer
    • If in your server you are frequently getting "Out of memory" error what all things will you check.   1 Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

One phone interview on campus. Very basic questions asked. Not tough at all. Just go through the resume and basic data structures questions. You should know you resume in and out. Thats all

Interview Questions

• All general Behavioral questions. One phone interview on campus. Very basic questions asked. Not tough at all. Just go through the resume and basic data structures questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Research Triangle Park, NC) in February 2016.

Interview

The process began with an initial phone screen and 6 on-site interviews.
    The phone interview focused on Systems. I was asked about Threads/Processes, Synchronization Primitives, Parallelization and Distributed Systems. The phone screen ended with networking concepts (VLANs and MPLS).
    The on-site interviews focused on Networking, Systems and programming (C language). Each and every concept in the Operating Systems book were visited. The interviewers were very interested in knowing the design decisions I made while implementing the system level projects.
    Networking related questions covered VLANs, MPLS, VPNs, ARP, STP, BGP, OSPF, VRRP, etc. The fundamental concepts behind the protocols were tested.
    I was asked to write 3 programs - String based, bit manipulation and linked list based.

Interview Questions

• I was time and again asked about the design decisions - Why use a concept and not the other one ? The interviewers were really interested to know whether I know the fundamental concepts.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

First phone interview of very basic questions related to networking like TCP UDP difference, ICMP protocol, ARP, DHCP. Followed by 2 hours of onsite interview at Santa Clara conducted by 4 people. Asked about same topics and Subnetting in detail and also asked to write simple codes on Python. Called for another onsite interview round since there was a tie. This interview was conducted by 3 other people. Interview went excellent with their senior network engineer and Tech lead but and the end a senior Development manager (IIT and Berkley) asked me confusing questions and said I need to work more on the basics.

Interview Questions

• Why VLANs used? Sorting of array in Python, Virtualization basics   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

An average Interview process. Had one phone scree, followed by five rounds of onsite interview. Phone interview was testing my basic networking knowledge. Onsite Interviews were between average to difficult. Two rounds of full coding testing algorithms and solving problems. Two rounds of networking interview. One was average and other was difficult. Fifth round was interview with manager who again asked coding and networking stuffs.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I had an offer before. So they increased by pay after negotiating.

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

The manager of the team called and took a 1 hour phone screen round which was resume based. Immediately called onsite since I'm a local candidate. Onsite interview was a rigorous 4 hour interview, with questions about my work and past experience, along with a few C programming questions and basic networking/ OS questions

Interview Questions

• C programming questions typically asked in interviews.   1 Answer

Negotiation

In some cases, negotiation works.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Four people interview, it is pretty easy.

Every round is 45 minutes.

OS, C, data structure question.

One people do not watch me while the interview.

The other four are good at interview.

Question about the OS, C, data structure and computer architecture, atomic operation.

The interview is not so hard.

Prepare and try, they will hire you not because you are capable, it is because your loyalty.

Interview Questions

• 1. mutex, semaphore.
      2. OS
      3. C programming question and data structure
      1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Atlanta, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

directly on-site with three engineers for the position. It was local so I guess the hiring manager does not bother doing a phone interview.

It has been one month after the on-site and since I did not get a reply from my follow-up email, I guess I was passed.

They are quite specific about past experience but not academic questions. So be prepared about what you did before.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Was very well planned and simple, I got an on campus interview call, it was scheduled for 3 days after the phone call. Interview was mainly about systems and networking.