Cisco Systems Software Engineer IV Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 13, 2017

3.2

51 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer IV Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Interview was easy and hiring manager set a clear expectation of what he was looking for that role and responsibilities. 3 rounds of interview was done and there were coding questions.

Interview Questions

• what was the toughest challenges faced in my previous projects and how did i resolve them?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Champaign, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

Very relaxed. Went straight to technical questions regarding work on my resume (lots of C and x86 programming). Whole thing was about 45 minutes, made sure to answer past what he asked to show the depth of my answer.

Interview Questions

• Difference between process and thread? How does malloc and calloc work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Hartford, CT) in October 2015.

Interview

They said they would phone me at 4:00pm and they actually phoned me at 4:02pm. I spoke to a nice gentlemen on the phone who was the head manager for about fourteen minutes. He was very eager to have me in the offices as soon as possible and said he would call back Monday for an interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with getting Cisco certified?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview took place through a video chat over Cisco's webEx software. It was quite brief as the interviewer only had 15 minutes, so she delved right into details about my skills. For the software engineer intern, the interviewer asked about programming, networking experience, and web design such as html. Almost no discussion of personality or technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect out of this internship?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Rigorous process with several engineers & managers. Several technical & managerial questions were asked. Technical questions dealt with both wired & wireless networking and also mesh network technology.

Interview was conducted over a period of several days with both teams from the wired and wireless networking divisions and also involved an in depth discussion with the Test Director.

Interview Questions

• Wireless Protocols- Security, Power Save etc   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

you get completed in new devise software automatic discover and built in your life this great for your life. You get experience earn in your live.cisco is a easy system in working.

Interview Questions

• What you built in discover?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview was straight forward, Spoke with all the members of the team.
    They revived me on different aspects of my experience
    Technical knowledge
    Domain Expertise
    Problem solving and people handling.
    As a lead role the company is looking for some one whose had prior experience leading people.
    The Manager kept me informed and the process was smooth but a little length one.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Portland, OR) in December 2014.

Interview

First interviewed by a "Team Leader". This was general and not too technical. Then a technical interview by a couple of engineers over phone. That was moderately technical it also involved a coding test on a shared screen. Then a face to face interview at site. That was a moderately technical interview by a group of engineers (separately) and the manager.

Interview Questions

• A C coding test without using any library functions to do some string manipulation.   1 Answer

Software Engineer IV Interview

Interview

Initial phone interview followed by onsite. The onsite interview is split among four different individuals and the interviews are coordinated such that you are not asked the same questions multiple times. Cisco uses behavioral interviewing -- meaning that they are looking for practical experience from your past to demonstrate your answers, not just theoretical "what would I do if...." type answers.

Software Engineer IV Interview

Interview

First, I talked to hiring manager and two people from the team over the phone. Then I traveled to job location for half day interview with 6-7 team members and managers. Then hiring manager called and made an offer. The culture is excellent at cisco. They manage to keep the startup culture and treat you as human.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I had negotiated in salary and they accepted. cisco tends to offer less base salary in exchange for stock options, but this was valid before 2001 bubble burst.