Cisco Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Cisco Systems

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in February 2009.

Interview

No respect for any thing you did for the whole time in your career. They started off with C questions and ended with C questions. No one even cared to see what was on the resume. They just asked the questions that they were familiar with. All the C questions were from the web sites. No creativity there. None of them smiled. None of them looked happy either!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

Pretty decent experience. Just consisted of a phone interview followed by a 1-on-1 interview. This was for the Cisco Choice Program. Very friendly person. Interview wasn't too technical. More like a conversation really. Not too bad experience overall!

Interview Questions

• What group experience have you had in projects?   1 Answer
    • Give me some reasons for deadlocka and how you would prevent them   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in January 2007.

Interview

received a phone call after initial HR filtering. Had the first phone interview with HR. Was invited to the location for a complete interview. The manager had 1:1 with me and showed the working area and explained work requirements. Then there were 2 panel/group interviews with completely technical questions. I then met a few more people and answered some questions.

Was offered the position before I reached home.

Negotiation

I did not negotiate much, as I was in need of a job. However, I regret that decision as I already had better offers from smaller companies.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Richfield, OH) in May 2010.

Interview

- 1 was asked a number of technical questions by the hiring manager and his staff.
    - I was asked a number of organizational questions by the staff.
    - I was invited back and I was asked general questions by the executives within the organization.
    - I was asked about the my education and specific classed that I attended.

I asked for more money.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Austin, TX) in April 2010.

Interview

Had two one hour phone interviews, one with the hiring manager, one with a technical lead. Both went well and a two day in-person interview was being scheduled. However, the day before the interview the hiring manager got in touch with me to let me know that the job req. was no longer available, but more would be opening in the next quarter. Waited until the next quarter and got my in-person interview. There was a programming test with three developers asking me questions. I ran long on the first one, the second question was based on code one of the interviewers put on the board (which had an unintentional bug), and the third one I dealt with well. Next came a one-on-one interview with another developer, but no technical questions were asked. The hiring manager was also too busy to actually interview me. At the end of the first day the hiring manager informed me he would be contacting me later that day to let me know the results. He did not get back to me until the next day to say they would not be extending me an offer.

Interview Questions

• Write a file copy function in the language of your choice   Answer Question
    • What does the following function do:
      unsigned int
          return z;
      }   3 Answers
    • Write a string reversal function   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in September 2009.

Interview

Data strcutures, C and OS is the thing that rules for a cisco interview...if you know them you can get through...

first round : C
    second round : OS
    third round DS

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (College Station, TX) in April 2010.

Interview

Had a background check and then went on for a 3 hr online interview with they watching me on a webcam. I thought I dint prepare well enough for interview it was basically about C programming skills, algorithms and datastructures.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boxborough, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Boxborough, MA) in March 2008.

Interview

On-site visit and interview with hiring manager, as well as, staff in the group. Explanation of product/technology developing. Group discussion answering questions about my previous work experiences and skill-sets.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Applied online and got a call from the HR to setup a pre-pre-screen! This was a 15-min. interview in which the HR went thru the motions talking abt my resume and experience. Few days later had a C-test. Not the easiest. If you are not a regular in C then you will take some time even though your C knowledge is complete. This was followed by two 45-min interviews with team member and engg. manager. I was very well prepared and the first interview went very well. He was thoroughly impressed. Then came the engg. manager. He seemed 'unprepared' about what to ask and started random questions on my experience. This also went well, later I thought some of my answers were incomplete but thought had done enough to get an onsite. Got a reject mail in a few days.
    Overall I thought the employees were very polite. It doesn't seem that Cisco needs brilliant people. People with good programming skills who know simple things like code optimization,data structures, few relevant projects go thru to the final stage. But,what I learned was that one position has about 10 people contesting and say 5 are upto the mark. After this I think the hiring decision becomes a subjective one . The engg. manager clearly seemed to have a bias towards CS guys. I was EE and his mood changed after hearing this.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Got a phone interview in May, and was interviewed by the hiring manager on topics ranging from networking to Operating systems. He called me the next day to set up an onsite at . The onsite was an exhausting experience.4 hrs with 5 interviewers. Had to wait for a month before any sort of reply from them after that.

Interview Questions

• Just the usual on data structures and Operating Systems   1 Answer