Cisco Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Cisco Systems

2.9

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in January 2007.

Interview

received a phone call after initial HR filtering. Had the first phone interview with HR. Was invited to the location for a complete interview. The manager had 1:1 with me and showed the working area and explained work requirements. Then there were 2 panel/group interviews with completely technical questions. I then met a few more people and answered some questions.

Was offered the position before I reached home.

Negotiation

I did not negotiate much, as I was in need of a job. However, I regret that decision as I already had better offers from smaller companies.

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in February 2009.

Interview

No respect for any thing you did for the whole time in your career. They started off with C questions and ended with C questions. No one even cared to see what was on the resume. They just asked the questions that they were familiar with. All the C questions were from the web sites. No creativity there. None of them smiled. None of them looked happy either!

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

Pretty decent experience. Just consisted of a phone interview followed by a 1-on-1 interview. This was for the Cisco Choice Program. Very friendly person. Interview wasn't too technical. More like a conversation really. Not too bad experience overall!

Interview Questions

• What group experience have you had in projects?   1 Answer
    • Give me some reasons for deadlocka and how you would prevent them   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in March 2010.

Interview

Basic C questions (Pointer,Structures,linked list, arrays,data types), Computer Networking concepts (TCP/IP,UDP).

I was interviewed for 1 hour. It was pretty simple. Though I screwed up in some of them.
    I could not answer most efficient way in finding number of 1's in a given number.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

Apllied through my friend's friend who is an employee of Cisco. The interview was with three people one-to-one, each averages 45 mins. They needed somebody with expertise in OS, device drivers and C. Most of the questions were from what we find on internet, the standard questions including C programs. Lack of preparation cost me.

Interview Questions

• Details of memory storage for different type of variable definitions in C.

int i;
      int j=0;
      int k=1;
      const int l;

which goes to data, bss, rodata, etc.   1 Answer
    • In virtual memory, can two different processes have the same address? When you answer "No" which is correct, how one process can access another process' memory, for example the debugger can access the variables and change them while debugging?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

Applied online and got a phone interview with Cisco Systems for a software engineering position. The interviewer was very friendly and first started asking questions on my resume and previous projects. Then slowly started asking more difficult questions geared towards programming and networking knowledge. The interview lasted for almost one hour with most questions of the type "what are threads?, what are local and global variables?, what is heap memory?, explain tcp sliding window mechanism and congestion avoidance", etc. Overall it was a fairly good interview experience and I'm waiting to hear back from them about the results.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Got a phone interview in May, and was interviewed by the hiring manager on topics ranging from networking to Operating systems. He called me the next day to set up an onsite at . The onsite was an exhausting experience.4 hrs with 5 interviewers. Had to wait for a month before any sort of reply from them after that.

Interview Questions

• Just the usual on data structures and Operating Systems   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in April 2010.

Interview

Had a phone interview where I was asked basic networking questions and some C questions. It was all very simple. Later had onsite. Had 5 rounds. 4 rounds of technical interview which tested my C skills, OS concepts, networking and my past work experience. And later a HR kinda interview with hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• From your network concepts learnt academically, explain what happens when you try to connect from your laptop at home to a server in your college. Decribe whatever you feel is relevant in this scenario   1 Answer

Didnt like the position offered

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Richfield, OH) in May 2010.

Interview

- 1 was asked a number of technical questions by the hiring manager and his staff.
    - I was asked a number of organizational questions by the staff.
    - I was invited back and I was asked general questions by the executives within the organization.
    - I was asked about the my education and specific classed that I attended.

I asked for more money.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Austin, TX) in April 2010.

Interview

Had two one hour phone interviews, one with the hiring manager, one with a technical lead. Both went well and a two day in-person interview was being scheduled. However, the day before the interview the hiring manager got in touch with me to let me know that the job req. was no longer available, but more would be opening in the next quarter. Waited until the next quarter and got my in-person interview. There was a programming test with three developers asking me questions. I ran long on the first one, the second question was based on code one of the interviewers put on the board (which had an unintentional bug), and the third one I dealt with well. Next came a one-on-one interview with another developer, but no technical questions were asked. The hiring manager was also too busy to actually interview me. At the end of the first day the hiring manager informed me he would be contacting me later that day to let me know the results. He did not get back to me until the next day to say they would not be extending me an offer.

Interview Questions

• Write a file copy function in the language of your choice   Answer Question
    • What does the following function do:
      unsigned int