Cisco Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Cisco Systems

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2013.

Interview

Applied through through my university just a 30 minute interview with one of the software engineers there. Super simple process. FOLLOW UP WITH THE APPLICATION DON'T JUST APPLY AND WAIT the HR loved how I keep following up with her.

Interview Questions

• How do you delete a node in a linked list. Code it on the white board   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

I went to the career fair and got an phone interview in couple of weeks. The interview is half behavior and half technical. The interviewer asked me some questions based on my resume including detailed knowledge in networks.

Interview Questions

• asked me some detailed knowledge about the networks.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Got an on-campus interview scheduled through the school.
    Since it was a full time entry position, had two senior software engineering interviewing me in a room.
    Asked some basic questions on the resume.
    Asked what my favorite language was and OO concepts. What is good about it and how it is powerful compared to others. What 'static' variables meant.
    Programming questions like: code in java for binary search. reverse a double linked nodes.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

1. Define Storage Classes and explain application domain.
    register - tell to the compiler for use a CPU register for fast aceess for that variable.

auto - it's a variable created and initialized when it is defined. It is not visible outside of the block.

static - defined inside of the function retain its value between calls. Always is initialized with 0. Defined as global in a file is visible on for the functions from that file.

extern - the definition of the variable is in another file.

2. Define the Storage Qualifiers

const - define a variable that can not change its value along the program execution.

volatile - define a variable that can be changed indirectly. An example can be a counter register that is updated by hardware.

mutuable - a member of a structure or object can be changed even if the structure, for example is declared const:

Ex: struct complex {mutuable int x; int y;};

const complex Mycomplex = {1, 2};

Mycomplex.x = 3; /* correct */

3. Give an example for a variable "const" and "volatile". Is it possible?

Yes, a status register for a microcontroller.

4. Detect if a linked list is circular.

Need to use 2 pointers, one incrementing by 1 and another by 2. If the list is circular, then pointer that is incremented by 2 elements will pass over the first pointer.

5. Have you any remarks?

#define res(a) a*a

Using in this form the result will not be like we expect. Thinking that "a" is replaced with (2+3), then we will obtain 2+3*2+3 = 11 instead (2+3)*(2+3) = 25.

Use always #define res(a) (a)*(a)

6. Define a "dangling" pointer

Dangling pointer is obtained by using the address of an object which was freed.

7. Any difference between "const int*ptr" and int *const ptr" ?

Yes, it's a major difference. First define a constant data and second define a constant pointer.

8. What is the declaration and definition of a variable?

The definition contains the implementation for a method or variable declaration. This is just an example.

9. Give a solution for a stack overflow situation.

func_call() {

funct_call();

}

Every time the above function is called the return address is stored onto the stack. Calling in this infinite loop will cause a stack overflow.

10. Give 4 examples for an infinite loop.

a. while (1) {}

b. for (;;) {}

c. do {}while{1};

d. label:

goto label;

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

technical interview. coding question on traversing a linked list. improving the speed of execution of an algorithm. i wrote an algorithm that was O(n). i then made it O(log n) and then I made it O(1).
    I was then asked to write an algorithm to delete something in a linked list only traversing it once

Interview Questions

Negotiation

bad. HR did not let me negotiate

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The previous company was purchased by Cisco Systems. So, we do not need to go through the interview process.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Process took a few weeks. Simple behavioral interview through University Program

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation where you found a solution   Answer Question

Negotiation

Set salary. No room for negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Milpitas, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

2 rounds phone interview. On site has 2 rounds. Each interview is half an hour. Questions from big kettle endian to driving programming and troubleshooting. Not very tricky and no brain tricks. Director will interview engineers as last round. Usually take 2-3 days to have response.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Added 20 percent sign on bonus

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems in April 2014.

Interview

got a call from manager went over CV arranged for a interview through webex. Talked asked about my current experience and threads, dead locks, datastructures, css, javascript basic questions, asked to write double linked list program, string reversal, they would accept any language you are comfortable in.

Interview Questions

• String concatination, how canyou write a better concatination with out using existing menthods like .concat etc... can a dead lock happen with three threads, the job description has nothing to do with these questions. The concentration was on basics of programming, was asked to write doule linked list program...if you are comfortable with sting programs and linked list concepts it is very easy to crack...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

I had telephone interview followed by couple of more Interviews and finally had a one on one interview.Had to go thru layers of screening before getting the Interview.Senior level mangers took more time in the process