Cisco Systems Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems Software Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at Cisco Systems

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Research Triangle Park, NC) in November 2009.

Interview

Simple technical questions - mostly networking knowledge and coding/debugging skills

Interview Questions

Negotiation

asked for relocation and got it

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Got a phone call from recruiter and then attended on-site interview.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

The interview requirements are different across different BUs, some BUs have high threshold on technical details, some BUs are more focused on communications and collaboration, and it depends on different managers, some rely on the reference and relations, some rely on your documentation achievement, such as how many patents, basically, that's better to get information before the interview about who will interview you, and who is the hiring manager , and do some homework.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

it's on campus for summer intern, no technical interview, it is one to one, the other side might be human resource, not like an engineer. she asked me very general non-technical questions, not challenger, maybe they focus on whether you are a good team player?

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Went to career fair, afterwards called me for an interview. was asked some basic questions about programming, and some brain teasers, pretty simple.

Interview Questions

• how would you arrange an array backwards?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

Applied online, phone interview, then onsite. Offer negotiation.

Interview Questions

• Give logic for implementing "diff" command in Linux.
      Consider various test cases and explain what will happen in each. The two files are source code and are huge..
      For e.g.
      File 1: 1-2-3-4
      File 2: 1-3-4-2   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Knoxville, TN).

Interview

This is specific to the Knoxville office of Cisco which has a separate interview process. There is a phone interview, a webex interview and then an in person interview with actual coding and problem solving.

The phone interview question include what is deadlock, what are race conditions, what is thrashing? In C how do you divide by two without using the /.

The webex interview has a lot of C code where you have to say what is wrong with it. Understanding pointers is a large part of these questions. There is also some coding in the webex interview such as in C how to reverse a linked list O(n) time.

The in person interview has actual coding and security problems. Certain levels in the exploit-exercises.com VMs were used for some of this as well as other coding questions.

Interview Questions

• There was an imaginary computer programming language that you were supposed to decode the output of.   1 Answer

The job was too secretive.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Very reasonable interview process. Phone interview with hiring manager, followed by group technical interview and closing interview with senior management.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Asked basic networking questions from course I took in college. Nothing too difficult. Also had some programming questions and asked about each of the 7 layers in networking.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Portland, OR).

Interview

I went through a 45 minute phone interview, and then a 2.5 hour on-site interview. The phone interview consisted mostly of resume and background related questions, and a few very basic Object Oriented Programming questions.

The on-site interview was conducted by 5 people in 3 different sessions. They started asking more technical questions here like reviewing snippets of code for improvements or errors, asking about more detail about my knowledge of the languages on my resume, and some brain teasers.

Overall they were friendly and encouraging.