Citadel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Citadel Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2017

3.2

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Citadel in October 2016.

Interview

Applied on campus career website. Chosen to have an on-campus interview with a quant at Citadel. The interview took about one hour, went through resume and asked questions about machine learning, especially linear regression. Then asked sorting algorithms and complexity.

Interview Questions

• What sorting algorithms do you know? Advantages of each?   Answer Question

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Citadel in October 2016.

Interview

I was referred to Citadel by a colleague. After less than a week I was contacted by someone in the HR department. Two Citadel employees visited my college campus to interview other referred students like myself. My interview was held on the campus of my college and was an hour long.

Interview Questions

• What is the best way to model a response, y, given a large set of indicators, say x_1,...,x_100? As I walked him through the process he would continually ask why I was choosing to do what I was doing.   2 Answers

FPGA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Citadel (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

A recruiter from Citadel contacted me on LinkedIn. We shared a phone call to discuss my background and my general interest in joining Citadel. The phone call went well so I was invited to come for an on-site interview. The topics to be discussed during the onsite interview were FPGA and very basic embedded software questions.
    A room was reserved for my interviews, but the HR came and told me that the hiring manager was not available to meet with me anymore because he had an important deadline to meet.
    During the morning of the interview for a position as an FPGA Engineer, I did not meet a single FPGA engineer and did not have any questions about FPGA development. I only met with software engineers asking algorithm questions. The questions themselves were pretty easy and straightforward.
    At the end of the day, the HR told me that she would have an answer for me in the next week and a half.
    I sent an email inquiring about the status of my candidacy after two weeks, she answered that she needed more time. I sent weekly emails two weeks in a row for a status update that were not answered. After a month and a half, I wrote an email asking for a feedback. She set up a phone call and explained to me that there has been a complete change in the teams and that the position they came after me for did not exist anymore but I did great on my interview so they wanted to introduce me to other teams with similar need. I was to call her back the following Friday for an update.
    I called that Friday, then the following Monday, and finally Wednesday after giving up.

Interview Questions

• Two data lines with same numbered packets arriving in order but not synchronized. Make sure you only send the packet once and discard the latest same packet to arrive.   1 Answer

Investment Trading Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Citadel (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through handshake from my university. The screening process took about 2 weeks. It's a Campus interview. 1:1. about 45 min. Then I proceed to the superday. It's on-site interview.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Citadel.

Interview

Started with questions about personal projects/research followed by a series of technical questions. Need to walk through solution on a whiteboard. Interviewer was patience and provided some hints when I got stuck. Overall, good process and experience.

Interview Questions

• All probability and statistics. Mostly fundamentals but some advanced topics.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Citadel (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

On campus. Talking for 25 minutes, and implementing a java code sample. The code sample is about arrays. He introduced a new data structure and let me to implements add, delete and other methods of this data structure.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to know about Citadel? Do you have any questions?   Answer Question

Quantitative Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Citadel (Cambridge, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

After the interviewer talked about himself and the group he's in, he just ask me to go through the resume in detail and then ask me a few math and cs questions. Finally, he talked to me about something in finance and let me ask him a few questions. Generally speaking the interview is not hard.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Citadel (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Interview process was long and detailed. Be prepared to give concrete examples of past success and translatable goals /steps for new role. I was a former employee so the process may have been slightly different and questions more tailored to past interactions.

Interview Questions

• Challenge of coming back to work at a firm I had already been a part of.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Citadel in August 2016.

Interview

The interviewer first asked about the background, then asked about the difference between iterator and generator, which is pretty easy. Then he went for the coding problem, which is pretty easy. But I took it slowly thinking about some optimal solution and answered it correctly. Then he asked an open-ended question, which I think the question is not stated very clearly.

Interview Questions

• The open-ended question he asked is: given a bunch of optimal buying/selling time point over different time horizon, say 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 1 year, 2 years..., what is the optimal buying/selling time point over a new time horizon, say 1.5 years?   Answer Question

Network Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Citadel (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

Very long process. Overall took about two months. Took over a month to receive written offer. Very smart, intimidating people. Straight to the point.

-First round was phone call with recruiter to see if I was a "good fit" for the work environment. Basic background interview. No technical questions.
    -Second round was phone call with department manager asking basic questions about experience. A few networking questions (TCP/IP, VPN configuration) just to see if you have a basic understanding of the terms.
    -Third round on-site interview. Consisted of 5 separate interviews.
       •1st interviewer was recently hired employee to give description of "what it's like to work here". Mainly me asking questions
       •2nd interviewer was experienced employee. Very technical and difficult. Problem-solving/scenario type technical questions. (i.e. How would you solve this problem...)
       •3rd interviewer asked questions about background to determine which role. More behavioral type interview.
       •4th interviewer was from HR. Also behavioral type interview. Asked scenario type questions (i.e. Can you explain a time when...)
       •5th interviewer was manager in IT. Technical terminology questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit for Citadel?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years   Answer Question
    • If a user was experiencing a problem in --, what would be your process for troubleshooting the issue?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you were faced with an ethical dilemma in the workplace and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    • What is TCP/IP? DNS? FTP? AD? SMTP? LDAP? DCHP? HTTP?
      How do you configure a VPN connection?
      How does an IP address work? Difference between Host name? Domain name? Server name?
      Answer Question
    • Two words to best describe yourself and how those qualities can bring value to the team.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation needed.