City Colleges of Chicago Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at City Colleges of Chicago

2.7

Adjunct Faculty Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at City Colleges of Chicago (Chicago, IL) in March 2011.

Interview

it was quick but very disjointed. miscommunication. weirdness and lots of other stuff. easy process but you better have patience because there is no system nor process in place. and there are petty people on interview committee

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no. there is no negotiation because of lame 1600 contract

Adjunct Faculty Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City Colleges of Chicago (Chicago, IL) in August 2011.

Interview

It was over the phone. I was called from some resume pool and nobody asked me anything specific about pedagogy; it was clear they just needed bodies in front of students. I was hired Friday afternoon and started teaching that Monday morning. I had to chase down a text book. I even had to beg rosters and markers for the dry erase board. I knew it was a Machine Nightmare before starting, but was there to protect my brother and sister veterans from getting a education taught by apathy. I believe Wal-Mart has a more selective hiring process to be a greeter. Nobody asked me what I wanted to be in five years, or where I see this position leading me, or if I'd like the chance to move up in the system. Nobody cared so long as I stood in front of my classes and kept PC. Anybody familiar with adjuncting knows this is standard, but CCC just doesn't try to hide their apathy for making sure boxes are checked and classes have teachers.

Interview Questions

• Can you teach at this time and date?
      You OK with not being paid for six weeks?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none. They expected you knew the low pay and never even told you what it was. You had to find that out yourself.

Adjunct Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City Colleges of Chicago (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

First you have an interview with the department chair. You will probably go back and forth between emails until you have to meet. At the in person interview it is not as bad (depends on dept chair). They may ask your prior experience, what can you bring the to college, and what are your expectations. Next you will hear back if you passed this interview. If you did you will have to meet with the Dean of instruction for an interview (not every college has this). He/she will ask you more in depth questions mentioned below. Lastly if you pass this you will have to fill out a million pages of paperwork, pass background checks, drug tests, etc. It takes a good month or so because things move slowly between departments.

Interview Questions

• What is your prior experience?   1 Answer
    • What can you personally bring to the college that can better it and the students' learning?   Answer Question

Adjunct Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at City Colleges of Chicago (Chicago, IL) in March 2018.

Interview

They were all over the place .. They were slow and the person interviewing me did not know what he was doing .. Long background check .. There was a panel of people and then you wait even longer and longer ... no process in place

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City Colleges of Chicago (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

The HR rep, did a brief phone interview, reading-off a brief list of questions clearly derived from the job posting. She probably had a low to moderate understanding of the job content herself, so stuck to basics here.

Passing that, she sent me a little performance task. It was surprisingly, fairly non-technical, and really only asked me to prepare to give a short PP presentation to the "Decision Support" (Strategy) team, a proposal of my ideas for how to manage/structure the evaluation metrics for a given strategic initiative ("Reinvention") for different participants across the colleges. I found this a bit too simple, really, to deserve a 15 minute power point (So maybe I missed something?) But, on my interview day, I delivered a few slides on the topic, as asked.

For my Interview day, I met with the heads of two, related, departments at the same time, as they both had research/data analytic roles to fill. Then, I gave my PP to the larger team, of maybe 8 staff, with a little discussion. All folks were positive, and engaged. I think they easily could tell that in some areas I was a bit "green", but our exchange was quite polite and positive; I made light of some of my previous nonprofit jobs simply not offering very rigorous data challenges yet. And, in all, I think they saw I had strong skills and some useful experience, still.

Also, the HR rep, was super kind throughout the process, had a fairly practical, honest way about her. She had asked about salary range a bit, and I told her about a few other organizations I was also interviewing with, and the range for them. She admitted that they were only currently able to offer around the very bottom of that range. I got the sense hat she was disappointed, and that it would be bureaucratically difficult to improve their offer range. So...

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at City Colleges of Chicago (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

They ask some pretty basic interview questions, what are you good at, what are you bad at what are your flaws, etc. It is very pressurising having to answer these questions and makes me nervous.

Testing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City Colleges of Chicago (Chicago, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a Skype interview about two weeks later. I was told to come in for a interview, which i did. I interviewed with 4 individuals. My supervisor, hr, VP and President. The interview was laid back and easy going. They took turns asking questions and I heard something back about 2 weeks later. I accepted the position.

Interview Questions

• Why I would be a good fit for the position.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City Colleges of Chicago in August 2014.

Interview

Process was faster than usual took about 4 weeks for everything. Typically takes two to three months for hiring process from what I was told. They are working to improve this process. I met with two executives and a director.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall any truly difficult questions I think the interview was straight to the point and asked valid and relevant questions. If you are a person that answers things truthfully and are qualified for the job it should not be a problem prepare the same as any interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried negotiating for more funds, it did not happen but I really wanted the job so I took the initial offer anyways.

Assistant Registrar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at City Colleges of Chicago (Chicago, IL) in February 2018.

Interview

I submitted an application and heard back 12 days later (a rather quick turnaround from what I’m told.) I was called on a Monday to schedule an interview that same Thursday. The interview was brief—only about 30 minutes. During the interview I was told I would hear back by early the following week, but didn’t actually hear anything until the following week.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very routine “why do you want to work here” questions. There was one intentional curveball question   Answer Question

Student Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City Colleges of Chicago (Chicago, IL) in April 2012.

Interview

Simple interview process. All employers are friendly and helpful.