City Year City Year Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

City Year City Year Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2017

2.9

City Year Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

Questions about working together, and education interest, how you have assisted in projects before. Very direct in their questions. Very good experience overall. Opportunity for skype, in-person interviews. What does City Year mean to you.

Interview Questions

• What is the longest commitment you've made?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for City Year

City Year Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

Two phone interviews, one for my placement because I checked serve where most needed and the second to be acceptance in milwaukee. Pretty standard interview questions nothing surprising and you get the chance to ask any questions that you have.

City Year Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year in February 2017.

Interview

It was pretty simple application process. 2 essay questions and recommendations. Maybe a week after I submitted, I was contacted for an interview. It was over the phone, very basic questions about team work and leadership roles. Only lasted about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for city year?
      Why are you applying for City Year as opposed to TFA?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City Year (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

It was an online application which was very straight forward. It had 2 essay questions (why do you want to join City Year and how would City Year help you achieve your personal goals). You also need 2 references. After submitting, the next day I was informed that I was selected for an interview. I had the interview the next week. Interview process was pretty simple. It was an in-person interview which lasted about 45 min. The person I had scheduled my interview with did not actually interview me (another person from city Year did which kind of threw me off). The interviewer explained how she would read the questions off of her laptop and type out all my answers. The questions were mostly behavioral questions (this page really helped). Following the questions, the interviewer asked if I had any questions for her. Make sure you do your research on City Year.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about City Year?   Answer Question
    • What excites you?   Answer Question
    • What makes you nervous?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with team conflict. How did you resolve it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • What aspects of your identity would help you relate to students?   Answer Question
    • What aspects of your identity might City Year challenge?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked really hard for something. What was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Case study question about a child who needed to complete an assignment by Friday but has not been participating in class and has been acting out. Basically asked how would you deal with the issue.   1 Answer
    • Anything else you would like City Year to know about you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City Year (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The entire application process was simple. Once the application was turned in, I got the email letting me know that I was selected for the interview. The interview is pretty straightforward--they ask you questions about yourself and then situational questions. The recruiter was extremely kind and considerate. She was taking notes while I talked. All around great experience.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a team conflict?
      Why are you interested in City Year and not Teach for America?
      Answer Question

City Year Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

The entire process could not have been easier in my experience applying to several other jobs. It comprised of an online application that took me less than a day to fill out. Again, this depends person to person and on how quickly one can generate responses to prompt but it was preferred that the responses were simple and concise. They do ask for references to reach out to as they'd like a general idea of your work ethic and leadership, but you are able to see how they gauge that by seeing the exact form they send to your references. In fact, I downloaded the form myself and was able to give my references a heads up that they'd be receiving a request to fill this out from CityYear.

Once my application was processed, I was asked to schedule an interview that matched up with my convenience/preferences. I chose skype as I was unable to drive into the city for the date I was available. You do have the option of interviewing in person. They do also send out a text reminder before your skype interview which I found very thoughtful and considerate of any last minute technological issues that could occur. The interview was conducted by a City Year representative/coordinator and very much behavioral as well as to a get to know you session. My interview lasted about an hour and went fairly smoothly. Be able to articulate why you'd be good fit for this program as it is tough and demanding; you really are working for the kids and the stipend is just enough to make ends meet.

I applied to the Philadelphia area and would highly recommend keeping in contact and reaching out to Ashlee if you can! She never failed to respond quickly to my emails and always gave me great answers to any questions I came up with during my application process. I would also highly recommend watching the deadlines as they do have guaranteed interviews if you manage to submit your application by a certain date, this is pretty ideal if you're passionate about securing this opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time where you faced a difficult decision and how you approached it? What were the results?   Answer Question
    • How will you handle being in a position of leadership as a younger person who may have less experience than the people you'll be in charge of?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year (Boston, MA).

Interview

I had a phone interview with one of the recruiting managers after submitting my online application, followed by in person interview with an impact manager. The entire process took less than 1 week because they were looking to fill the position quickly.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City Year (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

phone call with about 15 questions that have already been described by others on here. You can also do an in person interview. She asked me questions by phone and then wrote them down after I answered them. The delay between questions can throw some people but she made me feel comfortable. Over phone interview, i was unable to discern if my responses were being judged positively.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City Year (Boston, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

It was a very pleasant, albeit cordial in person interview. It lasted an hour and it was a series of 18 questions. The interviewer was incredibly polite and thanked me for every answer after he was finished recording my response. Each response is typed as you write but it didn't feel awkward.

Interview Questions

• Why City Year instead of TFA, PeaceCorps etc?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time you worked in a group and had to problem solve.   Answer Question
    • How do you plan to connect with students who are in under resourced schools, have troubled home lives and are of a different socioeconomic status?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City Year (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Application is online. You need 2 letter of recommendations (which can be sent via email). If they are interested in you, you receive an email and sign up for a date and time. Interviews will be done in-person or on the phone. Set a time and they will call you at that time.

Most of the questions listed were mentioned in my interview which helped a lot. Also if possible, attend a Shadow Day with City Year; it can give some really nice insight at what you would be doing as well as your chance to talk to City Year members.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about City Year?   Answer Question
    • How would you work with someone who has less and/or more experience than you do?   Answer Question