City Year Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 5, 2017

2.8

82 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Submitted an application, then got an email a few days later. Interview was very generic and they asked typical questions of this type of organization. Didn't seem as though they had even looked at my resume.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for City Year

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at City Year (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

It was a very easy simple interview process. The whole application process took about 3 months, consisting of a simple online application and an interview. The interview was very straightforward and not overwhelming at all and the lady that interview me was very sweet and easy to talk to, which was nice because it eased my nerves. She asked about 15 questions (all very similar to the ones on here). To prepare I went through all these questions and felt totally prepared.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you worked in a group. How did you grow from this experience? What would you have done differently   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Straight forward interview (2 questions and 2 recommenders required). Phone interview is also pretty straight forward - around 1 hour and majority of questions are already on here. Go through all of these in preparation and research the company as a whole.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year (New York, NY).

Interview

After the application was submitted, I received a request for a phone interview that was about 45 minutes long and after that a couple weeks later I got the letter that I got the job.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City Year (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

I submitted an online application which requires me to choose a service location, and provided spaces for information that included preferred name, among other categories. The provided literature describes the role in some detail and outlined company values. The onboarding process was tedious and the company was often out of contact between offer and start date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year (Boston, MA).

Interview

First, I went through an extensive online application process - essays, questionnaires, references, contact information, background information, education, etc. A few weeks later I received an email notifying me I had been granted an in-person or Skype interview. Given my proximity to the headquarters, I selected an in-person interview in Boston. I walked into the office and there were several other candidates waiting to be interviewed as well. My interviewer took me into a large conference room with a huge table where she awkwardly sat far away from me. In addition, she typed up all my responses verbatim onto her laptop, thus making it even more awkward. Aside from that, the questions were easy.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked for an organization or company that was working toward a goal bigger than yourself?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about City Year?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to serve with City Year?   Answer Question
    • When working with students are who racially, ethnically, economically, linguistically different from you, how do bridge this gap?   Answer Question
    • How do you feel working with someone more or less experienced than you?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

It consisted of 2 phone interviews. The first was with a Program Manager who was very serious and stiff. The second was with the HR person who was friendly and open. The second interview lasted about an hour long. I was originally on the wait-list until I was officially accepted.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No. It is a set in stone stipend of $550 biweekly.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

I had put in an application and had emailed the recruiting individual. After a month we set up an interview over the phone. Then I had a second phone interview. On the third phone call I found out I got the job and had a week to accept it and register to work.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to register after the official start date because I was traveling out of state. There is no compensation for traveling expenses. There is free monthly bus passes given to all the workers. There is a Facebook group made for you to find roommates for others like yourself getting hired for the new school year. There is a background check and a TB shot that's required before you work at the school. You also get finger printed and trained in CPR. And finally there's trainings for about a month before school starts.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

The interview process focuses on your commitment to service and desire to support your community. There is a strong emphasis on teamwork and community. You must be a team player.

Interview Questions

• There are a lot of culture pieces, including model behavior for students. Some of the questions revolve around jay-walking and other safety measures since you may be working with young students.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City Year (Philadelphia, PA) in November 2015.

Interview

I had to answer 4 short essay questions for the online application. They got back to me soon after the deadline to set up an interview. I had an in person interview because I live in the area and it was about 45 minutes (depends on how lengthy your answers are). I prepared a fair amount by looking at the interview reviews on this website, looking at their website, etc. The woman who interviewed me was really nice, but like most reviews on here say, there was not much back and forth or replying to my answers. She typed out my answers and gave me time to answer questions that I wasn't expecting. Overall positive experience.

Interview Questions

• 1. What do you know about City Year?
      2. Tell me about a time you handled a conflict on a team.
      3. When was a time when you engaged in self-reflection and how did it help you?   2 Answers