City Year Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

City Year Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Jan 9, 2017

2.8

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

Phone interview about why I wanted to be a corps member as well as experiences I had. The interviewer was very nice and made me feel very much at ease during the whole thing. I had originally applied to a different site and was directed to the one I ended up at and the whole process went very smoothly.

Interview Questions

• I don't really remember as it was some time ago but I was asked about a conflict and how I handled it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for City Year

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swarthmore, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at City Year (Swarthmore, PA) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I was contacted by the recruiter for one 30 min phone interview. I expected the interview to be "awkward" in that I thought the interviewer would take more time to type out questions. It wasn't really like that; it felt like a regular phone interview, with the interviewer responding to each of my responses (e.g., "that sounds like a great experience"). All of the interview questions here on glassdoor are super accurate. Go through them & prepare concise narratives accordingly.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City Year (Boston, MA).

Interview

After submitting a resume and a cover letter, I was given the option of either coming in for an in person interview, or an interview over skype. I chose the latter. My interviewer was very cordial and kind. It was a fun interview and lasted around 45 minutes. She asked me for details around my resume and about why I wanted to be a Corps Member.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about wearing a uniform every day?
      How do you keep yourself organized. Give an example of ways that you've been able to stay on top of deadlines.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

Submit application and statement, phone interview, tough questions. First phone interview was not as tough as the second one. Second one was with someone higher up in the company. Both people were very nice. Asked about experience, weaknesses, background, etc. I don't remember that much because it's been years since I was at City Year.
    Glassdoor is making me submit a city where the interview took place but the whole thing was done entirely over the phone.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember verbatim but it was something along the lines of how do we know you won't quit?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

Fairly easy interview process. Began by applying online and sending electronic reference requests to two peofessional references. Following the online submission I received a phone call from City Year headquarters asking about my interests and a few other basic phone screeing questions and was told if I "passed" the phone interview I would hear from the CY Site I was applying to. I was selected and went in for an in person interview with a Program Manager. The in person interview was very normal and was more like a conversation. Overall process from start to finish was less than 2 weeks

Interview Questions

• How would you handle working with a teammate who might not be as knowledgeable as you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City Year (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and within a week received an email to schedule a phone interview. I had a 45-minute phone interview with someone on the East Coast even though I had chosen West Coast as my preferred location. The interviewer asks you a series of 18 questions very quickly and types your responses. This is not a conversational interview -- it is a question and answer interview. The best thing to prepare is read all the interview questions on Glassdoor beforehand (which is what I did) and I worked hard to thoroughly prepare my answer. You will be asked about why you want to serve with City Year specifically, what kinds of social justice issues you are passionate about, what experience you have working with kids, etc.

Interview Questions

• City Year requires a lot of self-reflection. Discuss a time when you engaged in self-reflection and how did it help you?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever worked in an organization that was bigger than yourself and everyone worked toward a large, common goal?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at City Year (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied during rolling admissions in early June. My application and two references were both submitted within 24hrs. I applied for the North East Region, and during that preference interview, told them that I preferred New York.

I got an email telling me that I was chosen to have a selection interview with the NY branch within 6 hours of my preference interview.

My selection interview was the following week. I basically scraped this site (glassdoor) all the way to the bottom of the barrel for any question I thought they might ask me, and wrote it down on paper along with a well thought out answer. In the end, this made my interview process 1,000x easier, because I was think about potential questions and answers days ahead of time, and have them written on paper for my use during the actual interview.

Bring up one of the founding stories (and make sure you know enough about it... especially if you can relate it to an experience you had that would impress them). My interviewer seemed really impressed with that.

Either apply as SOON as applications open, or apply during rolling admissions. Those are your best bets for getting in. With City Year or any internship/job/service/college you'll apply for in your life, your chances are always higher in the beginning (they're more lenient on who they'll take because there's so much room) or during rolling admissions (they're short on people and are more likely to take you even if you feel some part of your application isn't that strong).

Prepare ahead of time by using sites like this to scout out questions.

Smile over the phone. They can tell.

Overall, the interview process was pretty easy. However, I'm pretty well versed in phone interviews so I was pretty certain I would have the position once the interview was over. If you prepare, you can be too.

Interview Questions

• How do you plan to stay motivated during the duration of the 11-month internship?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at City Year (Riverside, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position online. Within a week, I received an email to set-up an interview. I did an on-campus interview. The interviewer was very pleasant and made me feel comfortable. He was just recording what I was saying. He assured me that if I needed questions repeated or time to think about my answers then it was okay to do so.

Interview Questions

• How would you interact with teachers when dealing with a conflict? What does wearing the City Year uniform mean to you?   Answer Question
    • Is there anything you want to highlight about you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Interview with the National Recruitment Office to Serve Where Most Needed. It was a 15 minute long Skype conversation (could opt for phone only). The interviewer was kind and casual. First telling me about the interview process then asking only a few questions. Be prepared to talk about your experiences that are related to the CY ideal.

Interview Questions

• What are some experiences you have had that make you a good candidate for CY?   Answer Question
    • What was the most rewarding thing about these experiences?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at City Year (Little Rock, AR) in March 2015.

Interview

The interviewers were very friendly and professional. I spoke with a recruiter first and she explained to me in detail the next steps to the hiring process as well as some topics that would be covered in the interview. If you can definitely meet up with a recruiter and ask questions! The first round of interviews was conducted by the national committee as I checked serve where most needed. The interview took about 10-15 minutes and was very average. Asking experience with children, why you chose to serve where most needed. The next interview was after I was placed and that took about the full hour. Ask a lot of questions afterwards and have more of a conversation- even while you're having the conversation my interviewer was still typing some things that I was saying down.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose City Year even though there are other companies like Teach for America out there?
      When was a time you handled conflict and what was your role?
      How will you be able to stay motivated throughout the 11 months?
      Answer Question