City Year Interview Questions | Glassdoor

City Year Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City Year (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

It was an online application which was very straight forward. It had 2 essay questions (why do you want to join City Year and how would City Year help you achieve your personal goals). You also need 2 references. After submitting, the next day I was informed that I was selected for an interview. I had the interview the next week. Interview process was pretty simple. It was an in-person interview which lasted about 45 min. The person I had scheduled my interview with did not actually interview me (another person from city Year did which kind of threw me off). The interviewer explained how she would read the questions off of her laptop and type out all my answers. The questions were mostly behavioral questions (this page really helped). Following the questions, the interviewer asked if I had any questions for her. Make sure you do your research on City Year.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about City Year?   Answer Question
    • What excites you?   Answer Question
    • What makes you nervous?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with team conflict. How did you resolve it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • What aspects of your identity would help you relate to students?   Answer Question
    • What aspects of your identity might City Year challenge?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked really hard for something. What was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Case study question about a child who needed to complete an assignment by Friday but has not been participating in class and has been acting out. Basically asked how would you deal with the issue.   Answer Question
    • Anything else you would like City Year to know about you?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at City Year in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through the fairly straightforward online application, and was given a link to pick a time for a Skype interview the following week. The interview itself was a bit strange, in that my interviewer was in a very busy location and she seemed slightly disinterested in the whole process. She read predetermined questions to me and that's all it was.

Interview Questions

• Give me one example of a time you resolved a conflict.   Answer Question

Career Services Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at City Year in November 2016.

Interview

The process took super long, 2+months. It was 1 phone screening and 2 in-person interviews, and each process took about 4+ week to hear back and schedule. The organization also didn't give a clear idea on the application process at all.

Interview Questions

• - go through the resume and describe highs and lows for each job   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City Year (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The entire application process was simple. Once the application was turned in, I got the email letting me know that I was selected for the interview. The interview is pretty straightforward--they ask you questions about yourself and then situational questions. The recruiter was extremely kind and considerate. She was taking notes while I talked. All around great experience.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a team conflict?
      Why are you interested in City Year and not Teach for America?
      Answer Question

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

A very simple interview process that was either over the phone or in person, depending on your location to their general offices. They ask questions for about 20 to 30 minutes, and then give you to the opportunity to ask questions yourself. A decision on your acceptance is reached within a week.

Interview Questions

• Explain a difficulty you had with a colleague or personal experience and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Impace Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at City Year (New York, NY).

Interview

It took almost four months to get through the entire process. It was painful throughout and usually wouldn't post on a site like this but it's because I would like to warn others. HR was fine even nice but it was a deceptive and tedious process. I had to produce a video which took a day and a half. They changed the title of the role during the four month process. I've never in my life had that happen before. They need to get their act together. It's embarrassing and many red signs were given so in many ways glad I was not offered a position. I wish the org the bes

Interview Questions

• What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer

City Year Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

The entire process could not have been easier in my experience applying to several other jobs. It comprised of an online application that took me less than a day to fill out. Again, this depends person to person and on how quickly one can generate responses to prompt but it was preferred that the responses were simple and concise. They do ask for references to reach out to as they'd like a general idea of your work ethic and leadership, but you are able to see how they gauge that by seeing the exact form they send to your references. In fact, I downloaded the form myself and was able to give my references a heads up that they'd be receiving a request to fill this out from CityYear.

Once my application was processed, I was asked to schedule an interview that matched up with my convenience/preferences. I chose skype as I was unable to drive into the city for the date I was available. You do have the option of interviewing in person. They do also send out a text reminder before your skype interview which I found very thoughtful and considerate of any last minute technological issues that could occur. The interview was conducted by a City Year representative/coordinator and very much behavioral as well as to a get to know you session. My interview lasted about an hour and went fairly smoothly. Be able to articulate why you'd be good fit for this program as it is tough and demanding; you really are working for the kids and the stipend is just enough to make ends meet.

I applied to the Philadelphia area and would highly recommend keeping in contact and reaching out to Ashlee if you can! She never failed to respond quickly to my emails and always gave me great answers to any questions I came up with during my application process. I would also highly recommend watching the deadlines as they do have guaranteed interviews if you manage to submit your application by a certain date, this is pretty ideal if you're passionate about securing this opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time where you faced a difficult decision and how you approached it? What were the results?   Answer Question
    • How will you handle being in a position of leadership as a younger person who may have less experience than the people you'll be in charge of?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year (New York, NY).

Interview

After the application was submitted, I received a request for a phone interview that was about 45 minutes long and after that a couple weeks later I got the letter that I got the job.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at City Year (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Had a pre-screening and it went well with basic behavioral questions. The following week I was contacted to come in for a 4 1/2 hour interview. Came in and sat down with 5 members of the team, but was asked unprofessional quetions like my feelings about social justice. I wasn't sure what that had to do with the the management position and was quickly put off by it. I was told that they were still in the proces of interviewing candidates, and that I would hear back the following week.

The following week came, and I never heard back so I did my due diligence and emailed HR. They did not return my inquiry. I let another week go by and emailed again and they did not return my inquiry. That was my last time reaching out, and two weeks later I noticed the position was no longer posted.

They do not care that they took 4 1/2 hours of my time to simply ignore me after the fact. It's professional to provide a candidate w/an update even though they were not selected, and City Year posesses no professional qualities in that aspect. If you have a day to waste apply here.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year (Boston, MA).

Interview

I had a phone interview with one of the recruiting managers after submitting my online application, followed by in person interview with an impact manager. The entire process took less than 1 week because they were looking to fill the position quickly.