City of Alexandria Virginia Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.6

Entry Level Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Alexandria Virginia (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

An hour with 2 staff and the supervisor. It was mix of technical questions and behavioral questions. Some questions were multi-part so you had to pay attention and answer completely. I'd suggest brining a pen and pad of paper to write the key points of the question as it is asked. They would usually ask follow up questions after my answer. The interview process feels a little cold or unwelcoming.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of Alexandria Virginia.

Interview

Two interviews...the first with one person, the 2nd with a panel and a required writing sample on a topic provided. They asked me to discuss what I thought "dual-diagnosis" meant and how it may be valid in my job function.

Interview Questions

• Questions about managing challenging clients or families. Also about supervisory style.   1 Answer

Budget Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Alexandria Virginia.

Interview

Phone Interview - Panel of about 3 to 4 employees.

Interview was not warm or engaging. It felt more like a math test with four strict professors. The purpose of a interview is to give the employer valuable insight into your personality and abilities, and it allows you the chance to discern whether your credentials and career goals match up with what the company seeks. Interviews should not just be 7 hard questions and a phone line of silence.

After that experience, I didn’t mind, not getting a call back. That interview was way too intense and uncomfortable for 55k.

Interview Questions

• Difficult behavioral questions, that did not relate to the position.   Answer Question

Administrative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at City of Alexandria Virginia (Alexandria, VA) in June 2014.

Interview

Panel interview with a test. Structured questions: past experience, examples of handling work load, strengths, weaknesses, etc.
    Questions were to see if I could take over from the work my boss was doing, not for what the position was about. Beware of those positions that say: "other tasks as required." Ask examples and set a limit because filing should not be one of them if you're past that in your career.
    Waited about a week and a half to get a phone call telling me it was down to 2 people so they needed references. I was offered the job eventually and my mistake was not negotiating the salary. I settled for what they offered me. Never settled for that. At my following job I asked for a $5k increase and they didn't even fight it. Negotiating the salary does not affect your hiring.

Interview Questions

• Example of when you were detailed-oriented   1 Answer

Negotiation

Nothing. I settled for what they offered. Never do that. Always try to negotiate.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Alexandria Virginia in May 2014.

Interview

The turnaround is quick in regards to follow up interviews. They easily negotiated the salary and start date. However; the on boarding is unorganized, you will go months without certain certifications.

Interview Questions

• The DCHS department questions were not challenging enough.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very quick, flexible on pay grade changes.

GIS Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at City of Alexandria Virginia (Alexandria, VA) in May 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by the Division Chief via email and he asked me to come in and interview for the position within a couple days of our initial emails. At the office, he greeted me warmly and we held a casual conversation about my previous experience and interests in the field. The interview took around twenty minutes and at the end, he offered me an internship position with his department.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in GIS/what do you think the importance of GIS is?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate the times/days I would work.

Generic Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City of Alexandria Virginia (Alexandria, VA) in May 2011.

Interview

Generic process, interview panels

Therapeutic Recreation Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at City of Alexandria Virginia (Alexandria, VA) in February 2008.

Interview

Hiring and interview process can be lengthy;however, it is worth the wait. Can take anywhere from 3 to 6 months for the entire process. Currently the process is shorter and a variety of advertising methods are used

Interview Questions

• Did not find any questions difficult or unexpected. Questions are related specifically to the position and skills necessary to be successful in the job.   Answer Question