City of Austin Texas Interview Questions | Glassdoor

City of Austin Texas Interview Questions

Updated Apr 3, 2017

2.9

Contract Specialist Interview

Interview

Applied online. Duration took approximately 9 weeks to receive a call from HR. I was asked to provide a date to schedule a 3 person panel interview over a conference call. When the time came for the conference call interview, the host was not at all gracious. No small talk. The host explained I had 30 minutes to describe why I'm qualified for the job...go! As I'm describing my experiences and qualifications, the host is counting down every 10 minutes until the interview was over. No discussion till the end of the 30 minutes. Not a good first experience with the City of Austin. Withdrew my application as this is not the environment I wish to pursue my career goals.

Interview Questions

• Host and panel interviewers asked (3) questions at the end of my interview that were industry related.   Answer Question

Performance Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of Austin Texas (Austin, TX).

Interview

I applied online; did a 30-minute phone screening and was invited back for a panel interview. After that, I was invited back to do a presentation and required to do a background check and submit references. Just prior to my presentation date, I noticed the job was re-posted online. I did a great presentation and then nothing. After a month of radio silence, I was sent a generic message saying I wasn't chosen for the position. Just seemed like a big waste of time, energy, and effort.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your background and how you meet the job qualifications.   Answer Question

Management Interview

Interview

I had multiple interviews with the City. The final interview was in-person, which was mostly good, until one interviewer asked repeatedly for my personal political opinion on an issue. Significant time was spent on both my and the organization's end throughout the application process. Despite this mutual investment and my attempts at following up, the department never provided notification that another applicant was selected.

Marketing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Austin Texas (The Woodlands, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted for a telephone interview as one of 18 applicants narrowed down from a total applicant pool of 80+. A panel of three people conducted the interview and I felt they were relaxed and gracious. I received a follow up call a few weeks later notifying me that I did not make the next round. I found that very considerate.

Interview Questions

• What was a challenging project that I worked on and how did I overcome the obstacles (paraphrasing).   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kyle, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at City of Austin Texas (Kyle, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

The job interview was a very positive experience. I was able to articulate all of my previous experience which resulted in an offer for employment. I am very grateful for the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• What is your relevant experience?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at City of Austin Texas.

Interview

I applied online and received a call to interview after the posting closed. I was interviewed by a panel of individuals (HR Manager, Hiring Director, Compliance Officer, and Operations Rep). The panel of individuals were welcoming and the entire interview took about 1 hour. The questions are very specific and targeted to the EMS Billing Industry. I recommend preparing and researching the company prior to the interview to refine your answers and have to ability to answer with confidence. I was called back to meet with the Chief and Hiring Director.

Interview Questions

• What modifier is used for multiple patient car accidents?   1 Answer

Business Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City of Austin Texas.

Interview

The entire process took about an hour in a small room. I interviewed with the HR manager and two people from the team. The three interviewers did their best to make me feel comfortable. They asked about my interest in the position, my background/past experience, and 10 questions related to the job. Overall, I had a pleasant experience. The questions were difficult so be prepared.

Business Process Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of Austin Texas (Austin, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online 5/30/16, the application close date was 5/31/16. I was contacted by phone the following week to schedule an in-person interview and a separate MS Excel Assessment test at a testing location. I interviewed in person 6/21/16 with 3 people in 1 room and completed my assessment test 6/22/16.
    The interview felt a bit stuffy and robotic, I was asked 9 pre-written behavioral/experience questions which were each individually graded so they stressed it was important to answer each as completely as possible, not assuming a relatable part of a previous answer from another question would be taken into account. It was pretty weird since a lot of the questions were relatable so I had to say a lot of the same things over and over. I think 2 of the 3 people in the room hadn't even read my resume prior to the interview.
    Overall, I thought the interview went decently. I took the Excel test the following day and got 54/55 correct. I sent follow up e-mails thanking each of the people I interviewed with the same day I completed my Excel test. I didn't hear a word from anyone...then nearly 2 months go by and i receive a phone call late Friday afternoon (8/12/16) from the team's HR person saying they were sorry they didn't contact me sooner, there was a City wide hiring freeze and that I was in-fact their top candidate, here is their offer which was non-negotiable and was calculated using a formula based on duration of previous work experience. It didn't seem to take into account the quality/difficulty of work, role level, employer prestige, or performance accomplishments as it was on the lower end of the posted hourly range.
    I declined the offer - The offer was lower than almost every other job I'd been applying to (~8% lower the lower end of my spectrum) and the work itself didn't seem as challenging/interesting as I thought it was going to be so I didn't think I'd gain much professional development from the opportunity and would probably get really bored really fast.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a disagreement with a colleague.   Answer Question

Call Center Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at City of Austin Texas (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

easy. they're just looking for warm bodies with a brain. Turn over is so high, they are constantly looking for new victims. Worst experience ever! Do not fall for this. They tell you they are renogtiating contract but your pay NEVER increases. They are liars!!!!!!

Interview Questions

• Can you put up with someone being rude and ugly to you on the phone?   1 Answer

Negotiation

HIV Outreach Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City of Austin Texas (Austin, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

This was a panel-style interview and consisted of a group of about four individuals asking questions. I was expecting the interview to be more knowledge-based, but all of the questions were management-related.

Interview Questions

• What is your management style/philosophy in directing members of your staff, and how has this facilitated the completion of projects?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a short term plan you developed for your department/team/group. What development steps did you take and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • How do you motivate your employees/team members to do their best work?   Answer Question