City of Houston Interview Questions | Glassdoor

City of Houston Interview Questions

Updated Jun 12, 2018

2.5

Police Sergeant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at City of Houston.

Interview

It is a very long and difficult process to become a hostage negotiator. One must study the department's policies, remember officer safety and concerns, and prepare for the scenarios. Additionally, an officer must have a stellar back ground and be highly recommended by supervisors. This is a very long process that takes almost a year. Once one is selected for the school, the school is three weeks. So, considering all the training, one can assume he/she must be prepared.

Interview Questions

• This is a secret. Applicants will have to figure that out on their own. It is one of the reasons the process is difficult.   Answer Question

Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at City of Houston in December 2015.

Interview

There were 3 interviews. There was a telephone interview, followed by two in-person interviews. The first was with 3 senior people, and the 2nd was with the entire team. The first in person interview was about an hour long, and felt easy to manage. The second in person interview was overwhelming because I was interviewed by the entire team and it seemed like they were asking endless questions, some of which had already been asked at the first interview. It was draining and mentally exhausting to answer so many questions and people.

Jailer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

Its a very long process, You take a reading comprehension test, polygraph, Go through a background test, than an almost 900 word psychological test the you talk to a Pysch. From then on if you pass all that you get a job offer. Once psych is finished it has to have 4 signatures from backgrounds supervisor then once it get that they make you the offer

Interview Questions

• The polygraph is 4-5 hours and pyschological the same amount of time   1 Answer

Negotiation

They call you and make you the offer if your still interested and tell you the salary. If you accept you move on to the next steph which is your drug test and physical

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in April 2012.

Interview

I was called in for an interview and offered the job a week later! The panel consisted of 3 people and the questions were not rocket science. My advice would be to study the position you applied for and have a set of questions to ask to show interest in the job you'll be doing. It shows the interviewer that you took time to read the qualifications. Benefits and pay are decent. Learn as much as you can after starting because it will pay off in the long run when other opportunities are presented.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult co-workers?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process was one on one and lasted about 30 minutes. They were very friendly and asked a lot of behavioral and situational types of questions. Overall the interview was great.

Interview Questions

• How many jelly beans do you think are in this container?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Houston.

Interview

The interview and email correspondence was great. Very relaxed and also organized. The process moved along quickly until it got to HR where it stalled for weeks. They had to check my degree and drug test me for the internship, which surprised me.

Administrative Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

The position I applied for was posted in February and I received a call last week for an interview that was today (3/27/13). It was a panel a three. It wasn't intimidating at all. They talked about the position and questioned me on my skill and why that position. Afterwards, I took a writing test.

If everything goes well, they will call me to speak with the supervisor over the position before they make a hiring decision.

Interview Questions

• how would i handle an angry coworker?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in December 2013.

Interview

Screening with a recruiter to assess skills. Then an in person interview with supervisor. In person interview was about 45 minutes in length. Common questions were asked. Always good to have your own questions. Interview them as much as they interview you. I received my offer of employment about 3 days later. They will conduct a background check and there is a drug screening as well.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online, then had an employee referal, which sped up the interview process. I then interviewed with a manager, then with a panel. I was hired, but the process is lengthy.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX).

Interview

2 interviews of 3 panel members. They asked a series of questions relative to the position's requirements. Very comfortable and laid back. Each interview was roughly 30-60 mins long. Best thing is to be yourself.