City of Houston Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 20, 2017

2.4

Jailer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

Its a very long process, You take a reading comprehension test, polygraph, Go through a background test, than an almost 900 word psychological test the you talk to a Pysch. From then on if you pass all that you get a job offer. Once psych is finished it has to have 4 signatures from backgrounds supervisor then once it get that they make you the offer

Interview Questions

• The polygraph is 4-5 hours and pyschological the same amount of time   1 Answer

Negotiation

They call you and make you the offer if your still interested and tell you the salary. If you accept you move on to the next steph which is your drug test and physical

Custodian Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in November 2011.

Interview

The interviewing process was with three supervisors however there were so many questions each supervisor had their very own set of questions .However I was able to accomplish what was asked each supervisor was well mannered and respectful.

Interview Questions

• What are your goals while working for the City of Houston?   1 Answer

Senior Data Entry Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

This position was with the Public Library and I am a rehire. I applied online early March 2017, received a phone call about two weeks later to come in for a typing test I went in and was told if my speed was what they were looking for they would call back for an interview. Two more weeks passed and I was invited for an interview the second week of April, I went into the interview there was a panel of three people all of whom you will be working closely with. They were very professional and friendly, the questions consisted of being asked tell me a time when you did......... so it is best to be specific and be yourself, study the position and ask about it. I asked what type of environment would I be going into if chosen, how long each member of the panel worked for the library and what they like the most. I received a call the following Monday from a HR rep asking me to send in college transcripts and then again on Weds to go over something on my transcript that was not clear, two weeks later I received a call and a verbal offer.

Public Health Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX).

Interview

Submitted the application online through the official websites. Got the digital interview couple days later via email. The interview contained four questions. Basically, you will answer each question facing your computer equipped with camera and microphone. Be sure you are using the appropriate web browser.

Interview Questions

• Besides the behavior question, it asked some simple professional questions.   Answer Question

Environmental Investigator III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

It was a two panel interview process. Went in applying for this particular position, but when they made an offer, it was for a different position. Very disappointing. Interview process is not difficult. I don't really have much to say.

Interview Questions

Various reasons. Main reason, different position offered, no benefits, and much much lower pay. Based on my work experience and education background, their offer was just unrealistic. Company was getting way more from me, then I was getting from them. Not competitive.

Customer Service Representative I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX).

Interview

Arrived to court house early (you pay for parking). Instructed to go to information booth and let clerk know I was there for interview. Clerk had no idea what I was talking about. Instructed me to go wait in cashier line. Wasted 15 mins of time I could have been relaxing or preparing for interview in line. 2nd clerk/cashier I interact with calls for a supervisor. Interview was about 20 minutes. Unorganized. Intimidating. Didn't think I would get the job. 3 on 1. Interviewer often twisted my words.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied early May, got an interview until towards the end of May and didn't begin working until the end of June. The interview wasn't difficult just be prepared and know the position you're applying for. I read the reviews on glassdoor and it really helped.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

they don't negotiate.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

It was a very quick interview. There was an interview panel of six individuals. I went into the interview at my scheduled time. Everyone introduced themselves and told what their role was with the City.

Interview Questions

• What did I expect to gain from this role? Describe a time that I disagreed with upper management and how did I handle that situation.   Answer Question

Staff Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

Should have had 5 member interview board instead of 4 for scoring process.
    Scoring process not explained.
    Round-robin question process.
    Asked pertinent questions for the job.
    Did not ask follow up questions to my answers.
    Only one member of panel fully understood job requirements.
    I was last candidate scheduled. Interview panel gave the impression they were going through the motions - no enthusiasm from the moment I entered the room.

Interview Questions

• Do I have successful track record at state and federal level.   3 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation on salary - was already stated.
    No negotiation on start date.

Management Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at City of Houston.

Interview

Communication with HR was smooth. Had two interviews. First was with a panel of four police, second was with just two. Standard questions about my experience in relation to the position and my familiarity with the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you made a mistake and how you learned from it and fixed it.   Answer Question
    • Describe experience with regulations and agreements   Answer Question