City of Houston Interview Questions | Glassdoor

City of Houston Interview Questions

Updated Feb 28, 2017

2.5

Human Resources Interview

Interview

Applied on line. Application status changed from "received application" to "departmental reviewing". It has been 2 months and no updates. I called to follow up and was told cannot speak to hiring manager. I asked if position was still open and lady informed me she did not know. Asked her for advice on what to do. She said we are slow at hiring and just keep checking your status on line. Very frustrating and unprofessional on their part. If one is not qualified then change status to not qualified.

Police Sergeant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at City of Houston.

Interview

It is a very long and difficult process to become a hostage negotiator. One must study the department's policies, remember officer safety and concerns, and prepare for the scenarios. Additionally, an officer must have a stellar back ground and be highly recommended by supervisors. This is a very long process that takes almost a year. Once one is selected for the school, the school is three weeks. So, considering all the training, one can assume he/she must be prepared.

Interview Questions

• This is a secret. Applicants will have to figure that out on their own. It is one of the reasons the process is difficult.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst IV Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at City of Houston.

Interview

Most of my interviews were informal and the job postings were posted out of formality. They already usually know who they are hiring. Human Resources is constantly re-assigned to different departments, which slows down the hiring process.

Interview

First step was what thing a video and answering customer service questions, they pick the people that best fits their need from your answers, about a month after that I had my interview with 4 people at the same time, head of human resources the other 3 worked in my department. After interview it took about 2 months for extensive background check, started working about a month after that

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations

Senior Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in March 2009.

Interview

We have a formal process for advertising job opportunities. The process is very structured and requires applicants to submit application and resumes via an online applicaiton.

Interview Questions

• What are your expectations of the organization?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in April 2012.

Interview

I was called in for an interview and offered the job a week later! The panel consisted of 3 people and the questions were not rocket science. My advice would be to study the position you applied for and have a set of questions to ask to show interest in the job you'll be doing. It shows the interviewer that you took time to read the qualifications. Benefits and pay are decent. Learn as much as you can after starting because it will pay off in the long run when other opportunities are presented.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult co-workers?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in June 2008.

Interview

I submitted an application online, they called me for an interview , the manager was nice and questions were about back ground

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there was no negotiation

Management Analyst II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City of Houston.

Interview

Applied online and was invited for interview, interview had three young professional panel members and they were very friendly and in my opinion the interview was very easy.

Interview Questions

• what skills and experience i would bring to the job if hired   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in December 2011.

Interview

The process was very easy, there were not a lot of difficult questions. The interview panel consisted of an HR manger and a peer. There were three sets of interviews. I received the job offer within 3 weeks of the interview. I was able to begin work 30 days later.

Business Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in November 2011.

Interview

City of Houston's interview process is long. Most of the time you are waiting to know if you made it for the interview. If you get a call then you will go through the traditional interview process of two interviews. One by the department head then with the department director.

Interview Questions

• General question in regards to the resume. Also there is position test for some positions.   Answer Question