City of Houston Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 20, 2017

2.4

Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

The phone interview was very short, and actually rather curt from the interviewer. Seeing that he wasn't really interested in my professional background, I ended the interview after 10 minutes.

In addition, the interviewer was extremely unprofessional in his emails with me. Only sending one sentence and one word emails is a sure fire way to send a bad impression to candidates.

I was so offended, I even went and sent the emails to the city HR department and complained. Will NEVER consider work for the city again after this.

Interview Questions

• - How would your former managers rate you?
      - What's your manager's name?
      - Can you even speak Japanese?
      - Are you stupid?   Answer Question

Senior Data Entry Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

This position was with the Public Library and I am a rehire. I applied online early March 2017, received a phone call about two weeks later to come in for a typing test I went in and was told if my speed was what they were looking for they would call back for an interview. Two more weeks passed and I was invited for an interview the second week of April, I went into the interview there was a panel of three people all of whom you will be working closely with. They were very professional and friendly, the questions consisted of being asked tell me a time when you did......... so it is best to be specific and be yourself, study the position and ask about it. I asked what type of environment would I be going into if chosen, how long each member of the panel worked for the library and what they like the most. I received a call the following Monday from a HR rep asking me to send in college transcripts and then again on Weds to go over something on my transcript that was not clear, two weeks later I received a call and a verbal offer.

Lifeguard Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Not really interviewed but you have to pass a swim test. Be able to swim 300 meters straight. Know how to perform CPR and how to use a first aid kit.

Interview Questions

• Can you swim 300m straight?   1 Answer

Public Health Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX).

Interview

Submitted the application online through the official websites. Got the digital interview couple days later via email. The interview contained four questions. Basically, you will answer each question facing your computer equipped with camera and microphone. Be sure you are using the appropriate web browser.

Interview Questions

• Besides the behavior question, it asked some simple professional questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process was one on one and lasted about 30 minutes. They were very friendly and asked a lot of behavioral and situational types of questions. Overall the interview was great.

Interview Questions

• How many jelly beans do you think are in this container?   Answer Question

Environmental Investigator III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

It was a two panel interview process. Went in applying for this particular position, but when they made an offer, it was for a different position. Very disappointing. Interview process is not difficult. I don't really have much to say.

Interview Questions

Various reasons. Main reason, different position offered, no benefits, and much much lower pay. Based on my work experience and education background, their offer was just unrealistic. Company was getting way more from me, then I was getting from them. Not competitive.

Customer Service Representative I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX).

Interview

Arrived to court house early (you pay for parking). Instructed to go to information booth and let clerk know I was there for interview. Clerk had no idea what I was talking about. Instructed me to go wait in cashier line. Wasted 15 mins of time I could have been relaxing or preparing for interview in line. 2nd clerk/cashier I interact with calls for a supervisor. Interview was about 20 minutes. Unorganized. Intimidating. Didn't think I would get the job. 3 on 1. Interviewer often twisted my words.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Administrative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX).

Interview

2 interviews of 3 panel members. They asked a series of questions relative to the position's requirements. Very comfortable and laid back. Each interview was roughly 30-60 mins long. Best thing is to be yourself.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at City of Houston in November 2012.

Interview

One on one interview with supervisor, we went over my resume, my education. He told me what it was like working for the City and then showed me around. I was able to talk to current employees in a conference room and ask them any questions I had. It was a really easy and comfortable interview process.

Interview Questions

• Where I see myself in 5 years, what kind of employee you are, what are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied early May, got an interview until towards the end of May and didn't begin working until the end of June. The interview wasn't difficult just be prepared and know the position you're applying for. I read the reviews on glassdoor and it really helped.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

they don't negotiate.