City of Houston Interview Questions | Glassdoor

City of Houston Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2017

2.4

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Houston.

Interview

About 30-45 min. Answered a set of pre selected questions and then had to perform an Excel proficiency test. The interview was very pleasant, all three interview panel people were very polit and i did not feel as if i was being attacked.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had an issue with an employee in the work place? How did you handle it?   1 Answer

Division Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

2 person panel interview, questions didn't really seek to select person best qualified but more the preferred applicant. Questions and answers- open ended questions. Very basic, didn't require much depth. I am more accustomed to higher level interviews at this level. Many of the questions were not situational and didn't require much clarification.

Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at City of Houston in December 2015.

Interview

There were 3 interviews. There was a telephone interview, followed by two in-person interviews. The first was with 3 senior people, and the 2nd was with the entire team. The first in person interview was about an hour long, and felt easy to manage. The second in person interview was overwhelming because I was interviewed by the entire team and it seemed like they were asking endless questions, some of which had already been asked at the first interview. It was draining and mentally exhausting to answer so many questions and people.

Staff Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

Should have had 5 member interview board instead of 4 for scoring process.
    Scoring process not explained.
    Round-robin question process.
    Asked pertinent questions for the job.
    Did not ask follow up questions to my answers.
    Only one member of panel fully understood job requirements.
    I was last candidate scheduled. Interview panel gave the impression they were going through the motions - no enthusiasm from the moment I entered the room.

Interview Questions

• Do I have successful track record at state and federal level.   3 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation on salary - was already stated.
    No negotiation on start date.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Houston.

Interview

The interview and email correspondence was great. Very relaxed and also organized. The process moved along quickly until it got to HR where it stalled for weeks. They had to check my degree and drug test me for the internship, which surprised me.

Financial Analyst IV Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at City of Houston in September 2015.

Interview

Typical interview. Two employees sat across from me in a conference room asking me questions from a standard list. Most questions were regarding my background. It was moderately comfortable with some small talk. They did ask me the same questions multiple times, not because they were trying to trip me up, but because the same question was on their list in more than one place and one couldn't remember the answer I had previously provided.

They told me that the next step was for me to take a timed exam to test my skills. I never was contacted about the exam, so I figured they weren't interested.

I didn't hear from them for over a month and was called back for a second interview with a more senior employee.

Customer Service Representative I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City of Houston.

Interview

I received an email about a month after i applied ....I've been applying for Customer Service positions with the city since 2011 so i was really excited to get a response back.....The interview went well. The interview panel consisted of four people......Standard Customer Service Representative interview questions....Its been about a month since the interview but i haven't heard anything back but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Interview Questions

• What would you do if your boss asked you to do something you did not want to do?   Answer Question

Curriculum Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX).

Interview

Lots of technical questions regarding the instructional design process. Pretty straightforward interview if you understand the instructional design system. The learning and development center is small but very nice. The people are extremely friendly as well.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

It was a very quick interview. There was an interview panel of six individuals. I went into the interview at my scheduled time. Everyone introduced themselves and told what their role was with the City.

Interview Questions

• What did I expect to gain from this role? Describe a time that I disagreed with upper management and how did I handle that situation.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City of Houston.

Interview

Interview was not too formal. Filled out application in blue ink. Meet with the manager, and another supervisor. Asked questions related to my job experience. Was an overall easier interview than most because I had been refered by a highly-regarded colleague.