City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works Interview Questions

Updated Oct 26, 2020

To filter interviews, or .
Found 15 of over 15 interviews

2.9
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works

Anonymous Employee in United States

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 months. I interviewed at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works (United States)

Interview

The first interview is with Human Resources. Upon passing the interview you are given a band number that describes how well you performed in your interview and based on that different departments can see your score and call you for an interview.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a chaotic situation that you have dealt with before?
    Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works (Los Angeles, CA) in Nov 2018

Interview

One interview with all PB departments. Then you either get a call with an offer. Mostly behavior. Definitely do your research on all departments. Look at all the projects they are doing . They want to know that you know what they do.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you were in conflict with a peer and how the situation was resolved

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works (Los Angeles, CA) in Jul 2017

Interview

I completed the initial interview on campus in February with 2 representatives from the City of LA. I received my score and was placed on the eligible list. I received an email asking if I was interested in this position, and gave availability for an interview. I was contacted shortly and invited to the interview. It was a panel interview with 6 different supervisors. 2 of the supervisors asked all of the questions. They were running an hour late by the time my interview began. The questions were pretty straight forward, but it was a bit overwhelming with the 6 different supervisors, and I didn't really get a good sense for what the job would be like.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works (United States)

Interview

I had to bring in ID and paperwork, which one guy went over. After that, I was interviewed by two senior engineers. They asked a few questions about background and experience, and then some technical/communication questions.

Interview Questions
  • What are the variables needed to solve for open channel flow? What is the name of the formula?
  • What are the above-ground lateral forces on a building?
  • How would you present a project?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

Interview

I had my second interview with Bureau of Street Lighting in downtown LA after getting score of 95 out of 100 from my first in campus interview. It was street lighting associate position, with ‘THIS IS A TRAINEE POSITION’ commented on job posting and basic, entry level requirements. Two female interviewers interviewed me for les than 10 min, it was down to earth easy and in fast pace, not even one technical question. They asked questions pretty fast and I answered. So obvious they already know whom they are going to hire or already hired. I’ve got result two days later, “we have selected the candidate whose experience most closely matches the requirements of this position”. Where in the earth a Mechanical engineering graduate who is working as an street lighting engineer is more qualify from an EIT certified Electrical or Civil engineer for this position, except they are hiring people who have good connection in the system. I am asking Personnel Department to change or remove “An Equal Employment Opportunity Employer “ motto, from their applications form and job posting.

Interview Questions
  • Don’t bother to prepare for interview.....!!!! 1- Do you know AutoCAD? 2- What is your weakness and strengths, how are you going to improve it? 3- How do you score your presentation ability from 1 to 10? 4- Tell us about your education and experience
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Alhambra, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works (Alhambra, CA) in Jan 2017

Interview

The hiring interview started off with 1 HR representative and 1 senior applications developer sitting down and asking general questions about schooling, activities, hobbies, etc. After they got through the general soft-skills questions the applications developer took over and asked a couple questions about general skill set. After that they gave me a small written test that was only a couple questions long. Mostly very easy and straightforward questions e.g. What is return value of this function? Write a function to count letters from a given string.

Interview Questions
  • Given an array with duplicate values, how would you make it a unique array?

Anonymous Employee in United States

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works (United States) in May 2016

Interview

The interview (exam) had two interviewers that asked pre written questions. A few personality questions and the remainder were technical question (general civil engineering). After the interview you are emailed your score, and based on your score you are put on the eligible list.

Interview Questions
  • Can you name the formula and variables needed to solve for discharge for a open channel?
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 months. I interviewed at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works (Los Angeles, CA) in Apr 2016

Interview

I applied online. The process took about 3 months. They called and told me there was an interview in the LA Public Works building. I was interviewed by two engineers. The interview was very directed and I was asked a mix of questions to demonstrate my technical skills. The interview lasted for half one hour. When they started talking about preparing one workstation for me and my cubicle, I realized I got the position.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us what have you done during your last job. What would you do if one contractor in a phone call wanted you to solve their problems immediately with your supervisors absent in the office? How do you response to them?

Anonymous Employee in United States

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works (United States)

Interview

I was interviewed by two other engineers. I was asked a mix of questions to demonstrate interpersonal, managerial, and technical skills. The interview lasted about half an hour. The interviewers give the interviewee a score on a scale from 1-100 to rate the interviewee's performance. Afterwards, the interviewee is placed onto a applicant list and receives information about all openings for the classification (Civil Engineering Associate) that he/she applied for.

Interview Questions
  • Describe how your education, experience and background have prepared you for the position.
9 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 11 months. I interviewed at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works (Los Angeles, CA) in Apr 2015

Interview

Typical interview questions with some basic civil engineering technical questions. It's what you'd expect in any interview. First round interview determines how you will be scored. Scoring is out of 100 so to be competitive you should shoot for a 93-95 on your interview.

Interview Questions
  • What are the forces acting on a retaining wall?
Viewing 1 - 10 of 15 Interviews