City of New York Interview Questions in New York, NY | Glassdoor

2.6

31 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Assistant Landscape Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

They informed me that I was selected for an interview. The interview was scheduled and I attended. It was a group interview and it felt more like a conversation. Really appreciated the opportunity to discuss my work experience. Heard back from them about two weeks later and was presented a conditional offer. I accepted but still waiting for final approval and signatures for this position to become official.

User Experience Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Emailed them, got called into a panel interview. Arrived to a panel of people who interviewed me for two hours. Frankly I realized 30mins into the interview that everyone on the panel wasn't sure how to gauge a UX person. They were asking me system admin questions and I wasn't sure why. Luckily I'm pretty solid with linux but we didn't discuss UX needs of the role.

Interview Questions

• What can UX do for old systems?   1 Answer

Organizing Operations Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

2 round interview - first with the organizing manager and director, second with the deputy commissioner. All were very nice but the first interview was way more thorough than the second.

Interview Questions

• A lot of what "would you do if" scenarios - lots of management style questions   Answer Question

Tests and Measurement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview was pretty good. I was interviewed by three people and they all asked me about 4 questions each while they wrote down everything I was saying. They asked me about my experience and why I want to work for them. Being in the field of organizational psychology, it was my dream job to create and develop exams for the city. I thought the interview went well but after not hearing from them for a month, I accepted that I did not get the job. I reached out to them by email and phone and no response. Interviews are difficult as you do not know what type of person they are looking for and who else you are competing with to get the position. Maybe I talked too much, talked too little, said the wrong thing, was misunderstood or did not fit with their department culture.
    I would suggest to at least let the candidates know they did not get the job instead of ghosting them.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online, was approached for an interview 3-4 months after submitted the application. First round was a phone interview. The hiring manager was very friendly, and very upfront about both the process and functions of the office.

Interview Questions

• Thoughts about possible projects that I would want to create.   Answer Question

Assistant Corporation Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Torts

Pretty basic interview went over resume, writing sample and qualifications. i interviewed in early Sept and still waiting (I know they called all three of my references) so i'm not sure if i didn't get an offer or if they are just slower to give back a response. Was interviewed by two people within the torts division.

Policy Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied for this position online. The application consisted of questions regarding standard info about yourself and then two short essay questions: what is a public issue you care about and what is a focus of this administration that you are drawn to. Got contacted for a phone interview 2 weeks later.Really standard behavioral questions. They offered me the internship on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Why this administration? Why this office? Walk me through your resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Borough Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied for position online and was called to set up a time for a phone interview with Director. Call took approximately 15 minutes. After a few weeks of waiting, I received an email stating that the position was offered to another candidate and thank you for applying.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something about yourself.   1 Answer
    • What are my future goals.   1 Answer

Senior Policy Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied through online portal at the Mayor's office of Sustainability. Was asked to come on for first interview. I was interviewed by Chief of staff and another person. They had a fixed set of questions that were related to job description followed by a 15 minutes written test.

Urban Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

It was very informal. We mainly discuss about my portfolio and previous experiences. They asked me about previous experience with community outreach, about experience dealing with developpers and private application. Also, why i wanted to work for DCP? And city of New York? Why tge public sector?