City of New York Interview Questions in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 19, 2017

2.5

Assistant Corporation Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Torts

Pretty basic interview went over resume, writing sample and qualifications. i interviewed in early Sept and still waiting (I know they called all three of my references) so i'm not sure if i didn't get an offer or if they are just slower to give back a response. Was interviewed by two people within the torts division.

Policy Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied for this position online. The application consisted of questions regarding standard info about yourself and then two short essay questions: what is a public issue you care about and what is a focus of this administration that you are drawn to. Got contacted for a phone interview 2 weeks later.Really standard behavioral questions. They offered me the internship on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Why this administration? Why this office? Walk me through your resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Borough Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied for position online and was called to set up a time for a phone interview with Director. Call took approximately 15 minutes. After a few weeks of waiting, I received an email stating that the position was offered to another candidate and thank you for applying.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something about yourself.   1 Answer
    • What are my future goals.   1 Answer

Senior Policy Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied through online portal at the Mayor's office of Sustainability. Was asked to come on for first interview. I was interviewed by Chief of staff and another person. They had a fixed set of questions that were related to job description followed by a 15 minutes written test.

Urban Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

It was very informal. We mainly discuss about my portfolio and previous experiences. They asked me about previous experience with community outreach, about experience dealing with developpers and private application. Also, why i wanted to work for DCP? And city of New York? Why tge public sector?

Digital Media Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

It was a panel interview with 4 people for the DEP. They had a form with a bunch of questions and just filled it out. I don't think they read my resume beforehand because they asked if I had a blog/website which I listed at the top of my resume and in my cover letter. I was also called in 10-20 mins after my scheduled time. Most questions were pretty standard. They didn't seem to understand the job I was applying for, like they were unfamiliar with certain programs I'd use. What a bunch of stiffs.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever work with someone difficult? And how did you deal with that?
      How would you handle a difficult situation?
      How do figure out which social media platform is most effective? (Or something to that degree)
      Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Resume review. Questions about my previous jobs. Life Goals. Why I wanted to work there. What skills did I have. What weaknesses did I have. What did I study in school.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Administrative Law Judge Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Interviewed by Chief and Deputy Chief Administrative Law Judge. Panel was polite and engaging. They explained I would have to take a 3 day unpaid training course and receive CLE credit and take a test. They told me that after completing the class I would be invited to attend paid training. I completed the three day training but was excluded from attending the paid training. I experienced racial and gender discrimination during the 3 day unpaid class and excluded from further opportunities.

Interview Questions

• They Asked me if I had judge experience in the miltary   1 Answer

City Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I sent my resume through the New York City Jobs online portal. I then received notice for an initial phone interview two weeks later. This took around half an hour and was mainly about my experiences on my resume and interest in the opening. I was then able to get a second in-person interview three weeks after. This included an evaluation of a site plan. It took two more weeks for them to inform me of their decision.

Test Monitior Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City of New York (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process involved group hiring. The 1 on 1 consisted of taking your paperwork and preparing your files to be call on testing date to administer city test. It was very easy.

Interview Questions

• What borough would like to work in? Have you work for city before? What is your availability?   1 Answer

Negotiation

For this position a negotiation phase was non applicable.