City of Newport News Virginia Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 11, 2017

Interviews for Top Jobs at City of Newport News Virginia

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Newport News Virginia (Newport News, VA).

Interview

Interview process was easy, single 30 minute phone interview with my supervisor and another staff member. They took a while to get back to me though, around 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a project you worked on that utilized excel   Answer Question

Facility Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Newport News Virginia (Newport News, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

One of the recreational center managers called me after I applied online. . To my surprise, there was a table and chair in the middle of the room facing an entire group of managers from all the rec. centers in the city. There was no enthusiasm or a welcoming environment. There was no personality or emotions from the group, and I felt it was more of an interrogation than an interview. They would take turns up and down the line reading questions from a prepared text, and then would stare down into their paperwork busily writing away like detectives recording a confession. No joy, no personality, and I was feeling increasingly uncomfortable. There was a brief q & a at the end, then I was lead to a computer center at the other end of the building and told to answer a page full of test questions based upon the website for the recreation site for the city of Newport News in under 8 minutes. When I was through, I was told by a young lady watching me outside of the lab that "I can go". No thanks. No have a nice day and we'll be in touch. No nice meeting you. Just leave. I've never left an interview in my life where I hoped I didn't get the job - until now!

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a confrontation with a customer?   1 Answer

911 Dispatcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City of Newport News Virginia (Newport News, VA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied through the City of Newport News website. It took about 3 weeks to hear back from someone. I came to take a test at the Newport News Police Department that was based on the duties I would have had to do as a dispatcher based on typing, memory, grammar, etc. Two weeks later, I was called to schedule an interview at the Newport News Police Department. It was a panel-like interview. I was interviewed by 3 people. They asked me questions regarding my previous positions as well as gave me scenarios related to the dispatcher position. Everything was going well until one of the interviewers asked me my age, which is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to the position. They aren't allowed to ask me demographic questions at an interview! I'm starting to think I was discriminated against because of my age because I haven't received a call back for the position!

Interview Questions

• Name a time at your current or recent position where you had to multi-task.   Answer Question

Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City of Newport News Virginia (Newport News, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by phone a month after applying to come in for in-person interview. They asked fairly standard questions about work-ethic and past internships. I was then called with an offer the following week, which allowed for some negotiations about pay.

Interview Questions

• What interests you most about working in the public sector?   Answer Question

Security Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of Newport News Virginia.

Interview

Panel interview consisted of 5 employees. Approximately 15-20 questions relating to what-if scenarios and chain of command procedures. Very positive experience during the interview. The administrator was prior military and his way of operating the division was very similar.

Interview Questions

• None that I can think of. When I was interviewed I had recently got out of the military which eased a lot of their security questions.   Answer Question

Senior Eligibility Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at City of Newport News Virginia in February 2013.

Interview

It took about 3 weeks after I applied to get an interview scheduled. It was a panel interview with 3 senior members from the office. The questions were all situational. You really have to know the benefit eligibility process for SNAP, Medicaid, and TANF benefits in order to excel in the interview.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was a mathematical equation to determine if a client would be eligible for expedited SNAP benefits using the standard utility deduction.   Answer Question

about 3 weeks after the interview I did get a job offer however, I declined b/c the salary offered was $10K less than what I currently earn. They did try to negotiate but were only able to offer me $3K more.

Comptroller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at City of Newport News Virginia (Newport News, VA) in June 2012.

Interview

Panel interview with three to five employees

Responsible for planning for and acquisition of financial resources and the planning, monitoring, Analyzing, and reporting the use of those resources to ensure resources are available when needed and used effectively and efficiently in support of the Department of Public Utilities mission.

Plans, organizes, directs and participates in the preparation of the department’s general accounting annual financial statements, cost accounting studies, auditing processes, utility rates, fees and charges development studies and makes recommendations as appropriate.

Develops, plans, organizes, directs and participates in the preparation of the department’s fixed and flexible revenue and operating budgets, strategic financial plans and forecasts, short and long-range capital improvement plans and performance measures; convenes discussion meetings with department officials to determine the utility’s resource requirements and coordinates and responds to related questions with the Department of Budget and Evaluation and Department of Finance.

Interview Questions

• What is your supervisory experience?
      What is your level of education?
      Are you a CPA?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Predetermined salary with no negotiations allowed.