City of Palo Alto, CA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 9, 2017

Interviews for Top Jobs at City of Palo Alto, CA

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Palo Alto, CA (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Submitted resume, a month later I was asked to come in for an in person interview. Panel interview with project manager, very professional and friendly. Asked a couple of questions about why and how I came to be interested in this field and previous projects I had worked on.

Program Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of Palo Alto, CA (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Typically your interview will be with a panel of 3-4 staff, including an HR person. The staff can be somewhat reserved but for the most part they are all very down-to-earth people. As with many positions, be yourself and do your homework online to know what the City requires for that position.

Interview Questions

• One question was: what would you consider an important "next" environmental concern that should be addressed now?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Minimal due to locked in union wages, although the level you are brought in can be negotiated.

Resource Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at City of Palo Alto, CA (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

The online application process is rigorous, requiring 4-5 essay question responses. A few weeks later, was contacted by a hiring manager for a phone screen that was something like 10 minutes. Then, there was a group interview panel, meaning all the potential candidates were brought in and the interview panels rotated around to the different candidates. There were two sets of panels, lasting about 40 minutes with about a dozen people each. Each person would ask a pre-written question, round robin format. They had about 2-3 dozen questions to get through in each panel. The interview was on a pre-determined date and if you couldn't make it on this date, too bad for you. A 10 minute PowerPoint presentation on a pre-assigned topic was also required.

As you can tell from the above, there was no opportunity for the candidate to ask about the position/responsibilities or to inquire about fit or culture. All they care about is checking the government boxes. If you can imagine translating the DMV process to get your driver's license to job hiring, this would be it. This is a great job for a new grad or if you like working in a post office culture. Also, a note about the Resource Planner position: from what I could gather, it is a catch-all title, jack-of-all-trades, master of none.

Interview Questions

• What data analytical tools/skills are you proficient in currently, and what additional
      tools/skills do you have an interest in learning and applying if selected for this job?
      Answer Question
    • Please describe your experience using Business Intelligence tools?   Answer Question
    • Please describe your experience in the energy and water or utility industry.   Answer Question

Interview

The interview was very brief. It felt like there was little decisionmaking occurring apart from which opening I would be a better fit for as opposed to whether I would be offered one. I believe they have an ongoing relationship to have student interns every year from Stanford. Considering that the length of the internship was only 10 weeks, I can totally understand why the whole process felt so insignificant.

Interview Questions

• What do you think would make you a good fit for a transportation planning intern?   Answer Question

Manager IT Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City of Palo Alto, CA.

Interview

Telephone screen and interview consisted of one and 8 people respectively reading from a list of questions. Telephone screen and interview consisted of one and 8 people respectively reading from a list of questions.

Interview Questions

• Re: personal interaction difficulties.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City of Palo Alto, CA (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

Job was initially posted on City website. I applied and waited about a month and then got called in for an interview at the main office. The interview was with a panel of people and others and asked about my history and talents and potential contributions. The people seem very by-the-books and don't like innovation or change...