City of Philadelphia Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

City of Philadelphia Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at City of Philadelphia

2.5

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA) in November 2014.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted and told I had to set up an appointment for an "examination". I showed up well before my appointment time and one of the people before me did not show up so I was allowed to start with an earlier appointment time. Two candidates at a time went into a room with a packet of four or five questions where we were given thirty minutes to prepare what we would present to the board. Once the thirty minutes were up, each candidate was then given thirty minutes to present their answers. The other candidate was chosen to go first so I waited in a nearby hallway while he presented. After approximately twenty minutes, the other candidate exited and I was led inside to the room with the panel. I presented my answers. The panel was not allowed to comment or answer any questions. They did not speak a single word the entire time. I was told that I would be contacted within a month. I was contacted approximately 3-4 months later with an offer for the position. By this point I was already looking at other job possibilities and was less than impressed by my whole experience with the City of Philadelphia so I declined the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project you worked on.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where you showed leadership.   Answer Question
  • Something about how you would go about a project with the city vans relating to ensuring engine maintenance.   Answer Question
  • Describe a moment/even you are proud of. Doesn't have to be relating to engineering   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for City of Philadelphia

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at City of Philadelphia (Phila, PA) in September 2017.

Interview

First we have to apply for the civil service exam, once they publish on the HR portal. Upon the approval process, you will get notification to attend civil service exam.
    The is like a presentation, you will get 3 questions and 15 mins to prepare. Then we have to present these answer in front of a panel, they will value your response.
    After couple of week, you will get a notification of ranklist. this ranklist has 2 year validation.
    HR will call you according to the openings in the city.
    I got call call after one year and they asked about my experience etc..
    Got hired in water department.

Interview Questions

• Main parts and working of a centrifugal pump ?   Answer Question
    • If you are assigned for a modification of an existing boiler, how will you plan to do that ?   Answer Question
    • They will show two level of storage tanks and wanted to pump water from lower level to higher level. What are the components need for the piping ?   Answer Question