City of Philadelphia Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at City of Philadelphia

2.6

Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at City of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2014.

Interview

Phone interview mostly just outlining the job description to make sure that candidates were interested, followed by an in person interview. Met with my future boss and discussed what projects I'd be working on. Finally I was also given a given a tour of the building I would be working in.

Interview Questions

• Discussed how I would address some challenges of certain projects.   1 Answer

Planning Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at City of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2012.

Interview

Communicated after recommendation from alumni email. Went in the next day for a short interview with executive manager of department, and his assistant.

Interview Questions

• "In practice, how do you effectively work with and solve problems for our community members and businesses? Concretely, what tools and strategies do you use?"   Answer Question

Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at City of Philadelphia in February 2013.

Interview

Apply online.
    Take exam, computerized. Multiple choice.
    If pass and ranked in the top tier, proceed.
    Phone interview, high level questioning
    Panel interview of 3/4 individuals who ask behavioral and job specific questions.
    Accept or deny offer.

Social Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at City of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2014.

Interview

team interview with one social worker and several others not familiar with professional ethics or values. Peppered with questions, then told all the negative things about the job in order to scare off anyone with half a brain. No relevant discussion about the meat of the work or understanding about the intricacies of how the job fits with the professional background of the interviewee.

Interview Questions

• Are you ok with looking at dead bodies?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There were zero negotiation possible.

Clerical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at City of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA) in November 2013.

Interview

My recruiter contacted me via telephone two days in advance and scheduled me for an interview. The location was close by so I did not mind the travel. The interviewers were very professional and courteous and they assured me of the duties and challenges that I may encounter.

Interview Questions

• If you were to come across a disgruntled client whose emotions became overwhelming, how would you address the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

It is a temporary, full time position so there wasn't much to negotiate. Salary has not been discussed but I do know that there will be rigorous training. I welcome challenges and encourage progression.

Clerk Typist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview was very short but effective. I spoke with 2 individuals who explained what I would be doing and asked a few questions. There were two interviews but the main one was a group interview. They gave you a lot of information and asked if you would be comfortable doing multiple task. Overall it was very relaxed and informative.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond if an employee stated they didn't like you personally?   1 Answer

Clerk Typist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at City of Philadelphia (Phila, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

Scheduled interview with supervisor and management for an exam i took last year. Generally, the process takes months for new hires, but you must pass the exam to be considered for the position.

Industrial Hygienist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2018.

Interview

Very formal question focused on what you and your work ethic. I did not get an interview until 2 months after submitting my application. The interview was with 2 people, which can be intimidating.

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at City of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA) in May 2013.

Interview

Civil Service Exam - a panel interview in which you are given a set of questions to answer, given time to write out your answer/ideas in a room separate from the interviewers, and then meet the panel and answer the questions orally. The questions here are more on general engineering practices.

You'll get put on a list based on how well you do in the interview, and it will take several months for you to rise to the top of that list to get a department specific interview, depending on when a position opens up. This second interview is with whoever your prospective managers will be, and covers more specific day-to-day questions about the specific job opening.

Interview Questions

• Given a specific situation (say, a retaining wall that has given out near a bus route, and school will let out soon), what are the best engineering steps to take for this situation.   Answer Question

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA) in November 2014.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted and told I had to set up an appointment for an "examination". I showed up well before my appointment time and one of the people before me did not show up so I was allowed to start with an earlier appointment time. Two candidates at a time went into a room with a packet of four or five questions where we were given thirty minutes to prepare what we would present to the board. Once the thirty minutes were up, each candidate was then given thirty minutes to present their answers. The other candidate was chosen to go first so I waited in a nearby hallway while he presented. After approximately twenty minutes, the other candidate exited and I was led inside to the room with the panel. I presented my answers. The panel was not allowed to comment or answer any questions. They did not speak a single word the entire time. I was told that I would be contacted within a month. I was contacted approximately 3-4 months later with an offer for the position. By this point I was already looking at other job possibilities and was less than impressed by my whole experience with the City of Philadelphia so I declined the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project you worked on.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you showed leadership.   Answer Question
    • Something about how you would go about a project with the city vans relating to ensuring engine maintenance.   Answer Question
    • Describe a moment/even you are proud of. Doesn't have to be relating to engineering   Answer Question