City of Portland (Oregon) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

City of Portland (Oregon) Interview Questions

BDS Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Portland (Oregon) (Portland, OR).

Interview

I applied online. The first interview consisted of a Skype Interview. One of the panelists was so dumb he did not know what equity was - and that is one of the city's values. This panelist kept calling me wrong.

There were plenty of technical questions, which were pretty easy for me because I an an expert on structural engineering codes.

The second interview consisted of an in-person interview panel composed of people much younger than me. The receptionist kept confusing me for someone else. All I was told by the interview panel is that they would not do things like I would suggest. The department consisted of people who knew nothing about structural engineering. It was all about using your ideas to further their own personal agenda. The facility where they were located was very disorganized. And they do not have electronic plan review - which is several years ago.

Based on the media coverage of this department, I am glad to have dodged a major bullet. What was shown in the news reports reflects actually reality of this depressing municipality. The city refused to explain the pay steps. This was pretty odd to me.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at City of Portland (Oregon).

Interview

A panel of six ask you questions (which you are given 30 minutes prior to the interview - and are able to take notes). That was it really. It seems intimidating at first but if you are confident and know what you're talking about, it should be a breeze. It helps to be likable.

Customer Relations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at City of Portland (Oregon) (Portland, OR) in April 2014.

Interview

An essay, addressing key qualifications, was required as part of the application process. This was used in lieu of the phone screen. Approx. 10 candidates were selected for a 2-hour in-person panel interview. The panel consisted of a combination of peers and internal customers. The questions were behavioral based. Next, three "finalists" were selected for the final interview. This round included three parts: A skill demonstration to evaluate written communication. Second, a panel interview with the CTO and Director with behavior questions. And, third, a direct-report panel in more of a town-hall style Q&A. The offer was extended to one of the three finalists.

Interview Questions

• "Please provide examples that demonstrate your knowledge of customer service standards, principles, practices and techniques; including marketing principles and practices. "   1 Answer

Parking Code Enforcement Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at City of Portland (Oregon) (Portland, OR) in May 2011.

Interview

Starts with a Online application. If you meet minimum requirements then you receive a notice in the snail mail inviting you to test at a hotel banquet sized room with about 200 applicants that were chosen by minimum qualifications. You are notified by snail mail if you make the cut, and informed that you will be contacted again for a secondary interview. Another 3 weeks and you get the time and date of that interview. That is a panel style interview. If you make that cut you are then added to a list of 60 equally qualified approved applicants.....neat.

Interview Questions

• What is your purpose?   1 Answer
    • If you are faced with multiple tasks, which would you prioritize first, second and third? Time sensative task, customer impact task or internal date and time sensative task.   2 Answers