City of Salem Oregon Interview Questions | Glassdoor

City of Salem Oregon Interview Questions

3.3

Engineer IV Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City of Salem Oregon in October 2016.

Interview

I spoke with the Building Department division manager and eventually the city manager. There was an initial phone interview, then a 1-on-1 interview with my direct supervisor, and then an interview with the City Manager.

Interview Questions

• The questions were mostly, "Why do I want this position?", etc. I'm a long-time engineering professional, so the resume basically speaks for itself.   1 Answer

Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at City of Salem Oregon (Salem, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

Filled out application online. About 1 week after job closed I was emailed and asked to submit a supplemental questionnaire. About 2 weeks later I received a phone call to schedule an interview. When I arrived I was seated in the office area and one of the interviewees came and escorted me to a conference room. There was a panel of three people taking turns asking questions. A total of six questions were asked and the interview was scheduled for about 30 minutes. I was told at the interview 400 applications were received and that they were interviewing 26 candidates with no second interviews. The employees were very nice and one member escorted me to the front of the library when the interview concluded.

Senior Accounting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Salem Oregon (Salem, OR) in May 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by the City of Salem for an interview in April 2001. We did a phone interview and I was invited for a second interview. I was employed by a staffing agency and worked for the City on a temporary basis. I saw a job opening and applied. I just happened to know Barbara Brown, a former employee of Ulven Forging which is where my husband works. Dave Hauser, the Chief Accountant spoke with my former supervisor from Mary F Brown EA and decided to make me a job offer. He was an excellent supervisor.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question I was asked was who is your customer?   1 Answer
    • How would you proceed to perform a duty you have never done before?   1 Answer

Police Corporal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at City of Salem Oregon (Salem, OR).

Interview

Very thorough application, written test (easy) followed by a interview. Interview was supposed to be geared for those without police experience, but clearly was not. Also the interview was clearly biased for those who lived in the area.

Interview Questions

• Don't remember, but the process has also changed dramatically in the last 10 years.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None.

Police Officer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at City of Salem Oregon.

Interview

Not entirely sure of what the current process is, but there is a written (video based last time I saw) a oral interview with usually six questions that they hand to you on cards, a physical, followed by placement on a list. When your spot on the list comes up, a conditional offer is made with a background, medical, psych, etc. Oregon is a no polygraph for employment state, so there is no polygraph.

Interview Questions

• Usually some scenarios are given, and despite what they say, having a basic knowledge of officer safety, use of force, etc helps.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Civillian Employee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at City of Salem Oregon (Salem, OR) in November 2012.

Interview

I was called and had been selected from an interview. I was first interviewed by phone, then the second interview was front of panel of 3. Afterwards, I went through a background check before being offered the position