City of San José Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 13, 2017

2.9

Laboratory Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of San José (San Jose, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

First step was to apply and answer a few questions about your background. Second, pass an exam that covers material of basic chemistry. Following that, you had to submit your transcript for the required chemistry units. I had two interviews and was asked for my references after passing the second interview.

Interview Questions

• I am not allowed to disclose interview questions as there was a waiver to sign not to disclose any of this information.   Answer Question

Senior Software Applications Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at City of San José (San Jose, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

First interview, panel interview of three people. Questions are pre-determined and mostly experience and behavior types.
    Second interview, panel of four people. Questions are mostly behavior and experience. Team is trying to determine if candidate is a good cultural fit.

Planning Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of San José (San Jose, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of San Jose PBCE department. The interview mostly deals with generic questions like what software do you know how to use, how to deal with customers, what would you do if you were unable to meet a deadline?

Interview Questions

• Experience with design review applications, knowledge of the permit process, knowledge and experience with different design software.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of San José (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online. Went through 2 rounds of interviews. One by phone and another is in person. great experience. Very laid back process. It was more like a conversation

Laboratory Technician Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at City of San José in June 2016.

Interview

The process starts with a 100+ question exam. If you pass that then there is in person interview with a panel of 3-4 supervisors asking standardized questions and taking notes on your responses. After that you'll meet with the hiring manager for more standardized questions/notes. The length of the total process took an appalling 4 months! Way too long!

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at City of San José.

Interview

The interview was conducted from a printed out set of questions. I was interviewed by two supervisors. The interview was about twenty minutes at the most. They asked me about whether I had any experience with the programs I would use during the internship. They also asked why I was interested.

Interview Questions

• They asked me if I had any experience with GIS software or Google Earth.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City of San José (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

I submitted a general application online and got a response fairly quickly. Then I scheduled an in person interview. The interview was short with some basic questions about your skills and why you want to work at the company. Overall it was an easy process but watch out for application deadlines.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your greatest weaknesses and strengths?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

My friend told me about the position so he forwarded my resume to the boss because they needed more help. The next week i get a email from the head department to schedule an interview. Interview was about my past experiences. She also asked me a transportation question (very simple common sense one). Got mail the night of and offered a postion.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of San José (San Jose, CA).

Interview

I submitted my application and answers to supplemental questions online. They called me to interview and then rescheduled the interview. I interviewed in front of panel. I received notice that I was placed on a hiring list. I interviewed again at a city department in front a smaller panel and was hired.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience overseeing a program or project? If so, please describe the program or project and your areas of responsibility.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at City of San José (San Jose, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The process was very long, I applied in April of 2015 and did not get the call until June of that same year. Once they set me up, I had to arrive 30 minutes early to complete a written exam which was relatively easy. I finished it in about 15 minutes. I then went on to a panel interview with four people.

Interview Questions

• There were no targeted selection questions (describe a time when you handled a difficult situation, etc.) but just a lot of discussion of my work experience. Instead of "describe a time when you" it was more of "have you ever.." and it was very straightforward. I would say little to no practice was needed for it if you have good enough work experience you can share.   Answer Question