City of Santa Monica California Interview Questions | Glassdoor

City of Santa Monica California Interview Questions

Updated Sep 20, 2017

2.8

Cultural Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Santa Monica California.

Interview

Interview with two members of the team. Wasnt too bad, just went over my resume, why I was interested, and what I could contribute to their team. I am still writing at this point to reach the 30 word minimum

Interview Questions

• Knowledge and participation in sports   1 Answer

Police Records Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Santa Monica California (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

Do not even bother wasting your time, they already know who they are hiring before you even apply or take the first test. First you do a written test, then a computer test, then an interview to get on a list, then final round. But they also use employment agency's, despite having their own HR department violating the "merit rules" because the employment agency applicants, do all the steps in one day, and then are offered the job the same day. While the rest of us waste months and take time off work to complete all the steps. City of Santa Monica is a haven for the people who have family members or friends who work there, they are offered insane salaries for jobs that a robot could do. The only way to get in, is to know someone and their whole "official recruitment" is just for show, to "comply" with state law.

Interview Questions

• How has your experience and education prepared you for this position?
      What would you do if you found a dollar bill on the ground in the stock room?
      Describe an experience when you were helping an irate customer, how did you handle it?
      What would you do if a friend was in a car accident and asked you to look up the information about the other car involved?
      How do you work with people who are chatty and are not happy to be at work?
      Do you have a problem wearing a uniform? are you comfortable working overtime etc.   1 Answer

Cultural & Community Services Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Santa Monica California (Santa Monica, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was asked a lot of recreational questions, mainly about my knowledge of sports and how to manage children while on the play ground. Also, they asked what I could bring to the table. They want someone who serves as a role mole for the elementary school.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if a child false started during a race?   1 Answer

GIS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at City of Santa Monica California (Santa Monica, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Very laid back, they asked about experience wor king with GIS and explained what I would be working on if I got the position. Mostly wanted to see if I fit in well with the group and how my knowledge and experience would work with their project.

Staff Assistant II Interview

Interview

2 part interview test, and behavioral. Must have had a typing test from an official test taking place which was not specified in application so that was quite frustrating. Applied for the position several times even though I was overly qualified, obvious nepotism as this is a low skills job they give it to the people they know since it pays substantially well to other part time jobs.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Motor Coach Cleaner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at City of Santa Monica California (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

Take the test, take interview 1 by non-city employees, then take interview 2 with your department manager. I can take up to a year to go through the selection process.

Interview Questions

• Would you clean up vomit on a bus?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Pay scale is determined by a union contract.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at City of Santa Monica California (Santa Monica, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

First, the applicant applies either online or in person with a hard copy application. If found qualified, the applicant is invited back for a written test which tests simple math abilities, grammar, reading comprehension, etc. When the applicant passes, they are invited back for a skills test with Microsoft Work and Excel, as well as a typing test. When those tests are passed, the applicant has a panel interview. Afterwards, the applicant is placed on a waiting list that is valid for 1 year. When a position opens up within a department, the applicant (depending on his placement on the waiting list) will get called for an interview with the dept. If the dept likes the applicant, an offer is made.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of the kind of customer service you've provided patrons in your previous employment.   2 Answers

Negotiation

No. The only way to negotiate your salary is to prove you have more than enough experience to qualify for a higher salary. Salaries are broken down into 5 year plans, each year a 5% increase from the previous year, until you cap out at the 5th year. You can negotiate to start off at the 2nd or 3rd year rate, rather than starting off at the 1st year rate, but the process must be backed by the dept director who is hiring you.

QA Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Santa Monica California.

Interview

Moderate .test process and interview process. Test consists of general apti, technical apti and testing subjective written test.Interview round : two technical rounds. Prepare puzzles, quant,English synonyms, numbers, trains problems

Planning Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City of Santa Monica California in July 2010.

Interview

The interview was with a board of planners from other agencies. The set of questions were very standard to basic planning duties. The responses from the HR department were not friendly or helpful. I travelled a long way for the interview and was not treated with very much respect by the City itself.

Interview Questions

• How important is community outreach to the planning field and why?   Answer Question