City of Seattle Interview Questions in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

58 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

1. Featured Interview

Assistant Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Interviewed at the Seattle Municipal Tower, by a panel of 3 resident engineers. I was given a script with set of questions few minutes beforehand. Questions were mostly behavioral and situational. The interviewers rotated reading the questions out, and asked supplemental questions afterwards. Overall the interview was painless, and the panel was very friendly. I was called by the hiring manager about a week later to extend me the offer.

Interview Questions

• Did you encounter someone at workplace that was rude or uncooperative? How did you deal with him/her? And did he/she cooperate?   Answer Question

Communications Strategist At Seattle City Light Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at City of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Very standardized. 3 person panel with the interview questions taped to the table, along with a pen and pad of paper. Lasted about 45 minutes and questions were pretty vague, but completely geared toward your professional abilities.

When I asked them to describe anything they'd want in the world, they said a larger PR budget.

Interview Questions

• Describe when you brought a creative vision to light.   Answer Question
    • How are you at taking something very technical and describing it to a wider audience?   Answer Question

Administrative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview was straight forward. No surprises here. Be prepared to answer more skills related questions relevant to the position you're applying for, rather than personality based questions. Great experience.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a better choice for this position than the other candidates?   Answer Question

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

An HR specialist welcomes you and gives you a list of 6-8 questions that will be discussed in the interview. You are given 5 minutes to jot down notes or ideas on the paper. Then you go into a panel interview with a mix of superiors and peers to discuss the position. Folks are friendly and sometimes ask follow up questions on top of your answers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you experienced or witnessed racism and what did you do?   1 Answer
    • What is a high visibility program or initiative you worked on and how did you cope with the extra scrutiny?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about you life/work experience and how it prepares you for this position.   Answer Question
    • Describe a scenario where you had to prioritize competing requests for your time and attention?   Answer Question

Utility Account Representative Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at City of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied in Feb.2016
    Took a skills test which included several customer service questions and an audio test. You hear the audio and then type with 10 mins to complete. Practice before hand if you are not familar. - March 2016
    Results - Passed April 2016
    Interview - May 2016
    Offer contingent on background check. May 2016
    Class starts July 15 2016.

Tips:
    Check for city jobs weekly.
    Apply
    BE PATIENT!
    Be early for interview and review questions.
    Answer questions with Star!
    DON'T OWE THE CITY.
    SMILE!!!
    If you get a status of "qualification audit" you are a finalist.
    Only 6-7 questions were asked. Not bad at all.
    Answer questions via panel with confidence!

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with attendance policy.   1 Answer

Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at City of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

10 question interview with a working test. Group panel. They give you the questions to review for 15 minutes. Everyone was nice and made you feel comfortable. Didn't have to dress up. Interview took about 30 minutes followed by a working test that consited of a shovel test shoveling a yard of sand over a 4ft wall.

Personal Recognizance Screener Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online, completed supplemental questions, awaited response that took about 30 days. The next step in the process was to complete a 15 minute test via email of 2 scenarios. The result of the scenario was provided in 24 hours.

Interview Questions

• Defendant is single, has one child living with them, receives $900 child support and works p/t at $1500 a month.
      Defendant says they pay $65 for car insurance. Medical is covered by former co-hab.
      Is defendant low-income?   Answer Question
    • Defendant comes in for a Full Financial Screening (FFS). They say that they are struggling financially.
      Says has $6500 in credit card debt but not paying.
      $1750 for Housing
      Has been unemployed for 5 months
      $250 car payment for Humvee.
      $200 car insurance.
      $150 phone bill.
      Yes they have a bank account but it has only $72.00 in it.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at City of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

The questions were pretty straight forward. The interviewers were very friendly and nice. If you are prepared, you will nail it. There were also behavior questions so that the interviews saw how you can react.

Interview Questions

• Tell a situation when you have a conflict with your teammates, and how you handle that issue?   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at City of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

Concise job description provided the ability to research and understand the position. HR staff was outstanding and so was the interview panel, who treated me very fairly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project that was unsuccessful and how you dealt with it   1 Answer

Labor Relations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

The process was quite thorough and lengthy. Because I was from out of state my first interview was via Skype. This was a panel interview with three individuals. Typical questions, nothing surprising. About a month later I was invited to come out to Seattle to interview in person. They paid for my flight, hotel, and meals. I was scheduled for three sets of interviews in one day. The first set was with various department heads. They asked me about my experience handling grievances and employee discipline. It was more of a conversation than an interview. All of them were pleasant.

My second interview was with the HR Director and another Department head. This was pretty informal as well. There were structured questions, but they didn't stick strictly to the script. Very conversational. The formal interview lasted about 30 minutes, at which time the Department head left. I remained in the room and talked with the HR Director for about an hour. It was just a conversation, getting to know each other. She was great and it was a very comfortable conversation. Had she offered me the job at this point I would have accepted.

The final interview was with three of my potential colleagues. This interview went smoothly, but it was at this point I decided that I would not work there. The employees seemed so immature and unprofessional. They explained how the HR Department was a close knit community, and because we were all in cubicles everybody listened in on everyone else's conversations. They also said that if I wasn't at my desk and I had a phone call they would place the person on hold and go looking for me rather than take a message. Another red flag was that they claimed they preferred phone calls rather than getting things in writing via email when discussing issues with union representatives. This runs contrary to everything I have ever learned and experienced. It was all very odd. To me it seemed like high drama and a gossip factory.

After all of my interviews the recruiter told me that I would get an answer in about a week. It was about 2 weeks later when I received the offer. It was very generous and they even offered to help pay for my relocation costs. I wanted so badly to take it, but my would be coworkers just rubbed me the wrong way. As luck would have it I was offered a promotion at my current job, so I turned down the offer from Seattle.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your greatest accomplishment.   1 Answer