City of Vancouver, Canada Interview Questions | Glassdoor

City of Vancouver, Canada Interview Questions

Updated Jun 2, 2017

3.1

Researcher Interview

Interview

I interviewed at one of the City's downtown offices. The interview was odd, and I didn't feel I did my best. However, I later found out later that they had contacted at least one of my references. After that, I got several missed calls from one of the interviewers (I was in meetings most of the day) and an email asking me to contact them. Other people around me assumed I was about to get an offer, but when I finally got hold of the person who had contacted me, I was told I was still one of their top candidates and asked to do a test (AFTER they'd already contacted my references). When I asked when the test was due (as I was about to go out of town), I was told not to bother because they had already chosen someone else! So...they were willing to waste my time even though someone else had been chosen? Imagine if I hadn't asked about when the test had to be submitted!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience with mapping software.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at City of Vancouver, Canada.

Interview

Applied online and after 4-5 months I was contacted for a panel interview. I was given 3 weeks to prepare for the interview, and there were 4 stakeholders that were on the interview panel. The questions were thorough and some were quite challenging. The HR would ask the standard questions, and everyone on the panel had a chance to ask follow-up questions, each question was scored by each interviewer on a scale so every question counted.

The interviewers were nice and respectful, just as I expected from a professional organization.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at City of Vancouver, Canada in April 2017.

Interview

Formal interview with a panel of 3 - 2 hiring managers and a program manager (I believe)
    Followed by 3 hours case study schedule in a week
    They told me both the teams are hiring for a BA and thus there are two hiring managers in the meeting, since it wasn't up to me of which team I want to go, but it's their decision to see where my skills fit in, I didn't ask follow up questions re: team culture & type of projects they are working on, etc

Interview Questions

• One of the Case Study follow up questions - if you were given one extra field, what would it be and how it would help your analysis.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation :/

Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at City of Vancouver, Canada (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2016.

Interview

Lots of lag time for just one round of interviews. Technical Test and Verbal Interview on the same day. Panel of three interviewed me, the manager of the group and two of her senior planners. Basically the people you would work with on a day to day basis. For the technical test they basically gave me a computer for an hour and gave me content to create an infographic as well as fake consultation example which I had to write a draft email for a large group of public stakeholders. The panel interview was focused largely on related experience, and not a lot of behavioural questions.

Interview Questions

• Technical Test: Make a infographic about bicycling yusing adobe illustrator   1 Answer
    • Verbal: Describe a situation where you have dealt with large scale public consultation   Answer Question

Planner I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at City of Vancouver, Canada (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in October 2015.

Interview

Got an email for an interview 2 weeks after applying online. The email scheduled me for another week and a half, so it was getting to become a long process. Panel interview with a bunch of Planner IIs and Senior Planners. Started off with the usual "tell me about yourself" then immediately went quite technical and to the meat of the job position. Good thing I prepared and studied the whole weekend beforehand. Interview went for an hour.

Lifeguard Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City of Vancouver, Canada.

Interview

Wet screening held at the Vancouver Aquatic Centre with a large group of candidates. Everyone had to do full NLS standards (distance swim with all strokes, retreive brick from dive-tank, pia carry etc.) as well as teaching and rescue simulations. Each round needed to be passed to proceed to the next. The whole process took 3-4 hours. Less than 20% of people passed the screening and were hired.

Interview Questions

• Come up with a simple, 5 minute lesson activity for a certain swim level and teach it to the other hires   2 Answers

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at City of Vancouver, Canada (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in July 2015.

Interview

There are 2 rounds of interview, in the second one there's a case study for which you'll be given a real problem to analyse and provide insight about, based on a data set accompanying the problem.

Interview Questions

• Describe one of the things you consider a failure in your professional life.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at City of Vancouver, Canada (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Standard questions you might expect in an Interview. However, too many of them were questions focused on raw experience that could have been gotten from reviewIng a resume or prescreen questions. Few behavioural based interview questions, so I'm not sure if they are getting a true and accurate representation of a candidate's knowledge, skills and abilities. I didn't get the sense they were systematic in their hiring apprach which could lead to hiring the wrong person for the job.

For the most part they seemed like good people to work for.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with...?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at City of Vancouver, Canada.

Interview

the interview had two rounds. First round 5 questions related to skills and resume. Second round was a computer test, to check excel and writing skills. it wasn't difficult, but it was only half an hour duration and it wasn't enough.

Interview Questions

• How are you in providing reccomendations? What size of files did you work on excel ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation

Supervisor, Animal Control Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at City of Vancouver, Canada (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in December 2014.

Interview

Two interviewers took turns asking questions, mostly behavioral questions were asked. The interview lasted just over one hour. It was a friendly environment, after each question both interviewers would take a minute to write your response. At the end of the interview they asked if I had any questions regarding the position I applied for.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you would do if one staff member was being excluded by the rest of the staff.   1 Answer
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you? What would you do if a staff member was not performing as much work as their co-workers?   1 Answer