Civil Service United Kingdom Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 23, 2017

3.5

EDIP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (Telephone, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

Online tests (verbal, numerical, situational judgement), competency questionnaire, telephone interview.

The latter two look for the core Civil Service competencies as listed on the website.

Mostly quite basic - nothing too unexpected or difficult. Practice tests are provided before taking the actual tests, competency questionnaire is quite clear and easily answered, and interview topics are given before hand.

Civil Service Fast Stream Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom.

Interview

Tests, followed by e-tray, followed by video interview and assessment, no time to prepare between stages, remember to focus on core competencies, hard to get feedback, lots of preparation is needed

Economist Fast Stream Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom.

Interview

First stage was pass Situational judgement questions, complete an E-tray, and then video interview if you pass the above. The video interview was tough as the questions don't adapt to the answers you have given before- sometimes you could shoot yourself in the foot by giving an example for one question which was more appropriate for the next.

Interview Questions

• How committed are you to learning and developing throughout your career and how do you demonstrate this?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time you have bounced back from a bad situation   Answer Question
    • How do you demonstrate your ability to adapt to change?   Answer Question

Fast Stream Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Situation Judgement Questionnaire - given a scenario and you select the most/least effective response. This is followed by an online e-tray exercise - given a scenario and you have to respond to emails in 80 minutes. This is followed by an online video interview, which requires you to tape your responses to 8 questions

Civil Service Fast Stream Interview

Interview

It is a long process with an even longer waiting time. There are several steps to pass through. The online exercises are easier than expected and do not require any specialist preparation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Series of online tests (situation based, behaviour based, e-tray) followed by video interview if you pass all three, then an intensive assessment centre in London or Newcastle, and finally, if you score highly enough, a competitive interview

Government Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom in October 2017.

Interview

Saw advert online. All a bit vague though. Ad didn't say where the role would be located or what the starting salary would be. These would depend on which department you were offered a job in if successful at interview. Initially offered an interview in London but didn't accept because it'd be a 400 mile round trip. Was advised to keep checking the website every day for more / closer interview slots. Eventually offered interview 200 mile round trip away and attended. Had to take loads of ID.

Interview Questions

• Before the interview, given 30 minutes (in a boiling hot room) to prepare a 5 minute presentation (verbal) on one of 3 topics / scenarios to deliver to the panel. Topics a bit left-field.

Panel comprised two members of staff. Questions focused on data / analysis / programming / software, e.g.

"Apart from SPSS, which software have you used to analyse data?"
      "What is big data?"
      "Tell us about open-source data you've used"
      "How would you deal with missing data?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

I had to do a series of online tests and interviews before being selected to attend the Assessment Day. The tasks were quite challenging. There was a group exercise where four candidates held a mock-meeting which was assessed. It seemed like it was a competition to out-speak and talk over other candidates to be heard.

Civil Service Fast Stream Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (Derby, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Whilst applying for the Civil Service Fast Stream I took a series of online tests, an e-tray exercise, and a video interview. The online tests involved scenarios where you had to rate situations from most likely to least likely to be the course of action you would take. It sounds easy but with there only being a subtle difference between some answers, you need to puzzle out the logic.

Interview Questions

• How did you deal with a difficult situation?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom.

Interview

I completed the application form online and once scored on competencies I was offered an interview and then had a choice to pick the best date and time for me at a set location.

The interview was a panel interview of three with each interviewee taking turns to ask questions that the other two scored (also competency based). The people interviewing me hadn't seen my application as everything is scored via competency, so I needed to give them as much information as possible about my current role, why I felt I would be the right fit for the job I was being interviewed for and what skills and transferrable skills I could bring. The interview was friendly but formal and I was made to feel completely at ease throughout the whole process. They were also fine with me having notes and mentioned if I'd brought some I was fine to refer to them throughout. I brought some but didn't need to refer to them.

I recieved a provisional job offer a few weeks after the interview (pending security checks). Due to a delay with OH Assist (the Occupational Health team Civil Service Resourcing use) it took much longer than normal to pass this stage as they didn't assess me until 6 weeks after the referral.

I applied in June, interviewed in July, was provisionally offered in August and revieved my full offer in September, due to commence employment in October. The only down side to the process is the length of time it's taken from applying to starting, however this has been a good thing for me personally as it's given me ample time to tie up all loose ends in my current role.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your current role and why you've applied for this role.   Answer Question