Civil Service United Kingdom Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2018

3.4

EDIP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (Telephone, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

Online tests (verbal, numerical, situational judgement), competency questionnaire, telephone interview.

The latter two look for the core Civil Service competencies as listed on the website.

Mostly quite basic - nothing too unexpected or difficult. Practice tests are provided before taking the actual tests, competency questionnaire is quite clear and easily answered, and interview topics are given before hand.

Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Long, difficult process. The assessment centre was very intense. I thought the writing exercise was the hardest. I also found the group exercise quite intimidating. Fake it till you make it

Interview Questions

• Prepare 5 min talk on information given and be prepared to answer question   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom.

Interview

The application involved answering about 6 competency questions (250 words each). Interview was a panel interview of 4 people. Involved presentation and exercise.
    Downpoint of applying for civil service roles as an external applicant is that for not being an existing civil servant you are penalized by starting employees of at the bottom range of the salary. However, existing civil servants are given a 10% increase on their current salary for the new role. Not having same rules apply for both internal and external applicants for salary seems rather unfair and wrong. If civil servants were applying to the private sector, they would not be penalised in this way.

Interview Questions

• Competency questions, why you want the role, why the public service and why this organisation.
      Questions on presentation and on exercise to do on the day.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom.

Interview

1. Self-Assessed Reasoning Tests - Verbal: 40 questions, 20 minutes. Numeric: 18 questions, 22 minutes.

2. Practice for the On-line Selection Tests - Verbal: 32 questions, 16 minutes. Numeric: 15 questions, 19 minutes.

3. On-line Selection Tests
    These are the tests that we use to decide whether you are a candidate for the Fast Stream. There are three tests to do:

Verbal Reasoning Test: 40 questions. 20 minutes.
    Numerical Reasoning Test: 20 questions, 25 minutes
    Fast Stream Competency Questionnaire: 31 pages of 4 questions each, not timed but allow 40 minutes.

4. The e-Tray Exercise.

5. Fast Stream Assessment Centre. Short-listed candidates will be invited to this event. It is a one-day assessment centre consisting of a series of written and group exercises and interviews held in London. A briefing document which explains the day and provides example exercises, will be made available from the Download Forms section of Maps and Forms.

6. Final Selection. There is a further stage, a Final Selection Board or Assessment (Sift), but only for the Diplomatic Service, Houses of Parliament and Science & Engineering options along with the Technology in Business and European Fast Stream schemes.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a situation in which you dealt with ethnic minorities   Answer Question

Assistant Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)).

Interview

So far I have only done the first interview (the economic assessment centre); I have the FSAC still to go.

It involved writing a technical report and policy brief on the electricity and gas industry and then answering short-format economics questions.

Then I: presented on my policy brief, answered questions on my technical report, and discussed the economics questions.

It was really fun, actually.

Interview Questions

• The asked me about the short format exam style questions. I had done a MSc. and found that the stuff I couldn't answer were 'A-level' style questions: what is the difference b/w Keynesian and Neoclassical Long Run Aggregate Supply curves and what are supernatural profits.

There was nothing about competency or my experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

30 minute competency-based interview. Asked one question on each of the three competencies listed in the job description. After each, they followed up by asking me to critically examine my behaviour. For example, "How would you have done things differently".

There were no surprise questions. If you prepare answers for typical questions addressing these competencies, you should be good.

Interview Questions

• Can you think of a time you had to influence a manager or superior?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)) in February 2013.

Interview

Very lengthy, first online tests, then competency based interview over the phone. Asked things such as when was the last time you dealt with disappointment at work. Tell us a time when you had to make a difficult decision?
    Tell us a time when you had to deal with a difficult relationship at work?

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom in April 2016.

Interview

Telephone Interview. Very simple, they give you a guide that outlines what is required in the interview upon becoming successful for the interview stage. This includes a list of civil service competencies that you are expected to show, e.g. building capacity for all, making effective decisions, managing a quality service, changing and improving, collaborating and partnering.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

Online application, numerical & verbal reasoning test & competency test. The final stage is a phone interview. For the telephone interview the questions are all competency based. It is really important to be aware of the competency framework which can be found on the internet. The interview questions are all based on these, so beforehand you should prep an example for each one of the 10 competencies. My interviewer was lovely. They are not there to catch you out but may ask you further questions if your answer isn't through enough. It's really important to show you are passionate about working in the civil service & be very clear on why you want to work there. There's so much information out there, including the civil service Facebook page where you can ask people on the civil service what their typical day is like and other questions to gain an insight into what it's like to work in the civil service.

Interview Questions

• What attracted you to the civil service? Tell me about a time when you collaborated in a team, tell me about about a time when you came up with a new idea to improve something, tell me about a time when you had to be adaptable, tell me about a time when you had to build a close working relationship with someone.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation about the salary as it is a competitive internship

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middlesbrough, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (Middlesbrough, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Very short, entirely competency-based interview, comprising three scenario questions, to be answered strictly in narrative STAR method style, referencing Civil Service's own Competency Framework. No questions relating to previous experience or knowledge of employer's services. It was unclear if interviewers considered example scenarios I provided (from a previous non Civil Service administrative job) to be relevant to this position, or which areas of the official competency framework the answers were supposed to address.