Civil Service United Kingdom Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 27, 2017

3.5

EDIP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (Telephone, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

Online tests (verbal, numerical, situational judgement), competency questionnaire, telephone interview.

The latter two look for the core Civil Service competencies as listed on the website.

Mostly quite basic - nothing too unexpected or difficult. Practice tests are provided before taking the actual tests, competency questionnaire is quite clear and easily answered, and interview topics are given before hand.

Civil Service Fast Stream Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Assessment Centre - analysis, leadership and group exercises. each task takes around 1 hour to complete. Difficult to prepare for beforehand as tasks are set on the day. Between each task you get breaks. The order of the tasks varies for each candidate. All the assessors were friendly and made the experience comfortable.

Civil Service Resourcing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Interview panel 3-1. Assessment. Presentation. Lots of random questions around strengths/weakness etc. never provided feedback after interview even though it was offered. Didn't respond to emails. Really poor experience and would not recommend you waste time as was filled internally with someone who was being made redundant which I was informed by a friend after the interview

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (Liverpool, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process took about four weeks. It consisted of answering the four competency questions most have mentioned here, which I successfully passed and was invited to interview. I spent the best part of a week prepping for an interview by putting together collateral to talk through only to turn up to a 3-1 panel and be asked the same questions I had answered online. This threw me a bit because I felt like I couldn't repeat the same answers so probably didn't answer them in as positive a manner as I know I could. However the most disappointing aspect is that I was given 5 minutes at the end to show some of my portfolio. I had no opportunity to discuss my career, my experience or my work. I was asked to send on my portfolio. I left feeling pretty let down. The panel was nice enough but in no way is this suited to a design position. Needless to say I wasn't surprised when an offer wasn't forthcoming. I feel that these traditional interview techniques are both outdated and unsuitable for certain roles. I would have felt more comfortable being tasked and asked to present back my process.

Interview Questions

• Basic competency which I answered twice over. A wasted opportunity instead of getting to know your candidate.   Answer Question

Eo Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (Manchester, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

I went through a number of online numerical, verbal reasoning and situational judgement tests, with additional tests given after a long wait to hear back.

I had a panel interview. Most staff I encountered at the interview were perfectly friendly. One interviewer seemed to be unhappy to be there, did not pay attention to some of my answers, continually asked me about things that I had previously clarified and constantly displayed pained facial expressions and body language that did not put me at ease. I do fully admit that it was not my best interview and I fluffed a question but this interviewer was not helpful.

The style of competency based interviewing is relatively straightforward however it is at risk of becoming a tool to expedite the hiring process and it sometimes feels like you are just ticking a narrow range of boxes rather than focusing on your skills and experience.

HEO Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Initial sift of online application based on one competency, didn't seem like the rest of the application had been looked at. This was a very different career area for me and so my previous experience wasn't relevant which made some of the interview questions difficult.

I do find it ironic that I was assessed on a competency of 'Delivering at Pace' when the entire process from initial application to decision took 4 months, and the time between the interview and feedback was six weeks (they had initially said this would take 2 weeks in the interview).

Interview Questions

• Specific questions based on four competencies (Collaborating and Partnering, Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating and Delivering at Pace). Questions asked for a project based example of specific aspects of these four competencies.   1 Answer

EO Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Online application and Interview

I completed an online application and was then asked to attend an interview. However, I was not given the competencies to prepare for beforehand. This doesn't seem to usually be the case but it was in this instance and made preparation quite difficult.

The interview was a case study that I was given time to prepare for beforehand and then was to present this in the first 5 minutes of the interview. After that it was the typical competencies interview, which I found quite difficult. I was questioned by a panel of 4 people and asked to go into detail for each one and apply it to my personal experiences.

The panel was very friendly but persistent and professional.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to apply the civil service competencies to my own experience.   1 Answer

GES Summer Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom.

Interview

Applied via written application form, then attended interview in person. Interview process included a simple and short maths test followed by motivational and competency questions then basic micro/macro questions. Technical level did not go beyond first year economics.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply for the scheme and this department?
      Questions surrounding civil service competencies
      What are the effects of inflation/deflation?
      What will be the impact on labour/leisure if wages increase?
      What is a public good?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

This involved online e-tray exercises, video interview, assessment centre, application form, second assessment centre for specific stream. I passed the assessment centre in Newcastle but failed on the application form for the second assessment centre which was incredibly frustrating. Some people who applied to different streams didn't have to attend another assessment centre.

Interview Questions

• The assessment centre in Newcastle consisted of a group exercise, a one-on-one exercise with an assessor and a report writing exercise all of which were timed.   Answer Question

GES Provisional Assistant Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online, and had to answer two competency questions and list university module grades. Got through the sift of applications and was invited to the Economics Assessment Centre. This involved a technical report, presentation, answering 10 short answer questions on basic economics and an interview with two government economists. Make sure your report isn't a carbon copy of the presentation.Also revise A-level economics:PED, public goods, market failure,Government Intervention, etc.

Interview Questions

• How will an increase in immigration affect the UK labour market?   Answer Question