Civil Service United Kingdom Interview Questions in London, England | Glassdoor

3.5

52 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Trainee Heath and Safety Inspector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

Had relevant experience although none was required, passed the verbal reasoning test 93% but didn't pass the situation judgement test which I found ambiguous and answered based upon experiences of those situations with successful outcomes. The practice test and feedback report didn't say your answer verses their expectation of what the right answer was, which is culture related. It was bar charts of how you performed in categories which were defined in a 30 page booklet. Bureaucracy at its best.

Interview Questions

• Video and text scenarios with four action statements, each of which you had to assign either counterproductive, ineffective, a good action or effective.   Answer Question

Government Economic Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online for the GES Provisional Temporary Assistant Economist Scheme. For this, there was an online application form to fill in and email to the back to the recruitment office. It included: Personal details, Details of education (including every module at University, to ensure at least 50% of the degree is in Economics), 2 short personal statements (demonstrating using initiative, time management skills and building relationships), Work experience details and 2 academic references. Following this, I was invited to the EAC (Economic Assessment Day). This involved a 30 min written technical report, 30 mins exam (short answer questions), 10 minute presentation on your report and finally, 1 hours interview. The presentation is given in a style that non-economists may understand, but in the interview you are encouraged to speak as though talking to economists. I found that the knowledge needed for this Assessment Day is below University standard. I would advise for the exam and the interview, it is necessary to revise A level economics. I found the interview quite difficult because I lacked preparation on this front. Having not studied A level theory for 4 years, I was at a disadvantage. Though the questions asked are basic, the interviewers are looking to test that you have a solid foundation of economics. Statistics and knowledge of econometrics is not necessary. Be prepared to answer questions on supply and demand, monopolies and perfect competition, etc.

Interview Questions

• What are the economic arguments for and against government intervention in health care?   Answer Question

Civil Service Fast Stream Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Assessment Centre - analysis, leadership and group exercises. each task takes around 1 hour to complete. Difficult to prepare for beforehand as tasks are set on the day. Between each task you get breaks. The order of the tasks varies for each candidate. All the assessors were friendly and made the experience comfortable.

Civil Service Resourcing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Interview panel 3-1. Assessment. Presentation. Lots of random questions around strengths/weakness etc. never provided feedback after interview even though it was offered. Didn't respond to emails. Really poor experience and would not recommend you waste time as was filled internally with someone who was being made redundant which I was informed by a friend after the interview

HEO Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Initial sift of online application based on one competency, didn't seem like the rest of the application had been looked at. This was a very different career area for me and so my previous experience wasn't relevant which made some of the interview questions difficult.

I do find it ironic that I was assessed on a competency of 'Delivering at Pace' when the entire process from initial application to decision took 4 months, and the time between the interview and feedback was six weeks (they had initially said this would take 2 weeks in the interview).

Interview Questions

• Specific questions based on four competencies (Collaborating and Partnering, Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating and Delivering at Pace). Questions asked for a project based example of specific aspects of these four competencies.   1 Answer

EO Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Online application and Interview

I completed an online application and was then asked to attend an interview. However, I was not given the competencies to prepare for beforehand. This doesn't seem to usually be the case but it was in this instance and made preparation quite difficult.

The interview was a case study that I was given time to prepare for beforehand and then was to present this in the first 5 minutes of the interview. After that it was the typical competencies interview, which I found quite difficult. I was questioned by a panel of 4 people and asked to go into detail for each one and apply it to my personal experiences.

The panel was very friendly but persistent and professional.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to apply the civil service competencies to my own experience.   1 Answer

Government Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Role was for Data Scientist, but the civil service department it is situated in would be allocated on successfully passing.

Applied through Civil Service Careers website. Had to complete a timed numerical test on application - these were questions to test your knowledge of statistical techniques and probabilities.

Having passed the test I was invited to an interview and informed in advance that I would be required to complete a presentation on the day. On arrival, was presented with a question sheet explaining a that 1 of 3 questions had to be selected and I had 30mins to prepare a brief 5min presentation on the problem to discuss with interviewers

Then taken through to a 2 person panel interview, both current analysts in different departments but in statistical/analytical jobs. Gave presentation and then completed a competency based interview.

Informed that I was successful in interview but would be held on a reserve list for near future opportunities.

Interview Questions

• Select one of the 3 topics on the question sheet and prepare a 5min presentation on how you would conduct a data analysis project to answer this.   Answer Question
    • Can you give an example of a statistical analysis technique you have applied in your current role?   Answer Question

Civil Service Fast Stream Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Long process with many stages. First was online form followed by online tests, then an e-tray activity which was pretty difficult, then a video interview which consisted of 8 questions. After all this, I was invited to the test centre. The test centre was pretty intense and quite difficult and unfortunately I didn't pass this stage.

Interview Questions

• Do you think it's important to have a mixture of cultures/backgrounds/religions/races in the work place?   Answer Question

Fast Streamer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Online interview- there are 8 questions, some regarding yourself and why you fit the role. Learn about Civil Service, very important note. A very tough scheme to get into, hopefully you all will get better luck.

Fast Stream Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

After the exercises (including an e-tray exercise), there is now a video interview. 8 questions are asked and you then record your answer using your webcam. You usually have 10-15 seconds to think about the response before the recording starts and you then have about 2 minutes for the answer. Most of the questions are asking you to give examples from your life related to the competency criteria (Level 3 of the Civil Service Competency Criteria), so have plenty of different examples ready.