Clark Construction Group Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

2.6

Executive Assistant (Bethesda, MD) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Clark Construction Group (Bethesda, MD) in December 2016.

Interview

I found listing on SimplyHired.com but thought it was strange from the beginning (and still do) as the job continues to post as NEW every hour on the hour, and has been for over two months now. I think they are just weeding through a LOT of candidates in search of who-knows-what! Did go in for an interview, and first HR person I met with had all names of current candidates written on white board in office that I could easily see. There was also a stack of resumes on desk. Then when I interviewed with VP, half of interview spent with VP listing all of Clark's projects. Kinda strange vibe going on.

Interview Questions

• They were worried that the commute would be too much for me as I did not live in Bethesda, and they told me Bethesda traffic could be pretty bad. How do you respond to this? I seriously think employers should leave commuting issues to the interviewees. If interviewee did not think it was a viable commute, they would not be there!   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clark Construction Group (Bethesda, MD) in November 2016.

Interview

From the day I applied to the day I had my interview was about 2 weeks. I submitted my application online. About a week later I was emailed to take there virtual interview where the screen gives you a question and you answer it by talking into the webcam. The responses are recorded and you have 60-90 seconds to answer the four questions. Then I was emailed two days after to go to the headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland for an all day event/interview (8:30am to 4:30pm). They paid for my flight and hotel stay.

In the morning, all the candidates were split into two groups. One half went to tour a job site in Washington D.C. and the other half started their interviews. Then at noon, everyone met back up at the headquarters for lunch. After lunch, the group that had interviews switched and toured the job site in the afternoon, and the group that toured the job site had their interviews in the afternoon. There were 4 interviews all lasting 45 minutes each. They were one on one interviews with various employees that had the same position in your career path (office engineer, superintendent, project manager, etc.). The interviews were more conversational instead of the interviewer asking questions and you're the one answering. It was very back and forth and relaxing. Be prepared to talk about your resume, why clark, why construction. Any experiences you have try to tie them into construction management and/or general contracting.

After the interviews, they bring you back upstairs and the HR recruiters tell you that we will let you know something in 2 weeks, whether we offer you or not you will hear something back.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clark Construction Group (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

Met at a career fair. Was contacted soon after for web recording interview. Then invited down for full day. Half the day was spent doing interviews. Then we visited job sites to get a sense for what they were working on.

Interview Questions

• They mainly asked about my experiences. More a get to know you conversation to make sure you're a good fit.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Clark Construction Group (Bethesda, MD) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online and via school career fair and was invited to complete the initial video-recorded answers to basic questions about myself and why I was applying. I was then invited down to a day at the Bethesda Headquarters. All of us there for the interviews met with our personal HR rep and some older employees. We then split up into rooms where we had 4 45 minute interviews with a variety of employees, generally on the younger side. The essentially just wanted to have conversations with us to get a picture of if you're an intelligent human being capable of doing the job, as well as if you're really interested in the position and would excel. After the 4 interviews, we had lunch, and then took the Metro on out to a job site to get a full tour of everything going on there. When we got back to the HQ, we were told we'd hear back within two weeks, which I did.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions about yourself, resume, experiences, why Clark Construction etc   Answer Question

Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Clark Construction Group (Bethesda, MD) in November 2016.

Interview

Clark came to college career fair and reached out the following week for a first stage interview. This interview was done online. Questions were asked and timed answers were recorded. After the first stage, Clark offered a onsite interview where I got to visit their main office in DC. I have four interviews in the office and then they took me to a construction site. On the site, I had two more interviews.

IT Help Desk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Clark Construction Group (Bethesda, MD) in May 2016.

Interview

You will interview with multiple people involved on the Help Desk. For example: The Help Desk Supervisor, his direct boss, who also oversees the Help Desk, and probably someone from the Networking Team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Clark Construction Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Initial video interview screening with a recording software. 3 behavioral questions.

Site Visit with both an behavioral interview and a formal interview component, tour of a construction site and an explanation of project management positions in the field. Office formal interviews with a number of engineers from other departments (project engineers, budgeting, etc.).

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Clark Construction Group (Bethesda, MD) in December 2015.

Interview

A very involved interview process that gives some great insight into the culture of the company. The first stage involves a video screen. It's not a live Skype chat, but a video recording where you are shown some prompts and then record your responses. There are 4 prompts (what are your greatest strengths?, why did you choose your major?, etc.). You have 30-seconds to prepare your answer for each one and are given 60-90 seconds to respond. It can feel a little awkward talking to yourself, but this kind of screening is becoming more common so it's best to embrace it.

The next stage is a full-day interview at Clark HQ in Bethesda, MD. I interviewed with a group of 5 other candidates, all still in school. We met at HQ at 8:30 AM for an orientation to the company and to meet a few employees. Then, we split into 2 groups. One group went to tour a job site, and the other stayed in the office for four 45-minute 1:1 interviews. We then reconvened at HQ for a round-table lunch where we could meet more employees and ask questions. The groups then switched places in the afternoon.

I toured a job site in Arlington in the morning. We had a quick meeting in the field office where we met the project staff and could ask questions about the work they do. Then we were given a tour of the job site which was really cool. It definitely gave you a sense of how hectic managing a project can be. After the tour, we went back to HQ for a round-table lunch with more opportunity to ask questions, and then I went into the four 1:1 interviews.

The four interviews are certainly a bit draining, but I found them to be an incredible opportunity to ask what it's really like to work at Clark. I got great insight into the interviewer's career progression at the Clark, where they started, how they are evaluated, challenges the company is facing and how they are addressing those challenges. By the time the interviews ended at 4:30 PM, I was exhausted but had a notebook stuffed with valuable information.

About two weeks after the interview, I was presented with an offer which I accepted. They're pretty firm on starting salary, preferring for you to prove your value to the company before adding additional compensation, which makes sense. I was able to negotiate the signing bonus, however, so there is some flexibility with that piece.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   1 Answer
    • In our line of work, we often have to manage subcontractors over whom we have no direct control. If you were having a problem with a subcontractor, how would you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clark Construction Group (Bethesda, MD) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview was very smooth. I got an email from them for the first video record interview. There were 4 questions and its about 1 minute each to answer those question. After a week, they flew me into Bethesda for a final round interview. 4 Interviews in the morning. Site tour in the afternoon. 2 (20 mins) interviews during the site tour. Total 6 interviews from 8:30-4:30.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage your time to work with your busy work schedule?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Clark Construction Group (Bethesda, MD) in November 2015.

Interview

Spoke with them at my college job fair, left my resume and was later contacted about doing an interview. The first interview was a virtual one where recorded questions were asked and I gave an answer that was recorded for review by the Clark team. These questions were very typical of standard interview questions. About a week later I was contacted by the Clark Recruiting Team, telling me I had made it to the next round for an interview at the headquarters in Bethesda. They offered to pay for a hotel, flight, etc... But I was local so I decided to just drive over to Bethesda the morning of the interview, which started promptly at 8:30. I was not aware before hand that I would be one of ten interviewees that day, but I quickly realized once I saw the other candidates there that this is a very competitive process, because Clark is the best of the best in the industry. The day at the office consisted of four 45 minute interviews with young project engineers, which were not technical, but instead very personal and mostly talked about general things and the kind of things that make me click. We then had lunch after the round of interviews and then had a job site visit where there was another interview with one of the employees at the job site. By the time we left the job site it was close to 4pm so the day was nearly over. We were told as we were leaving the HQ in Bethesda around 4:30 that we would hear back within to weeks whether or not we would be offered a position. After a week and two days I was called by Clark and told they were making me an offer, which would be emailed to me the following day with all the details. The offer was great and I accepted within 5 days, even though I had 2-3 weeks to decide.

Interview Questions

• Why Clark? What do you bring that others don't? What kind of experience do you have?   Answer Question