Clearbanc Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Clearbanc Interview Questions

Interviews at Clearbanc

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I interviewed with Clearbanc in Q1, 2019. There were some positive things I appreciated about them, but overall the process was not a positive experience.

The positives:
    - I began my application when I came across their job postings at Glassdoor. Once I submitted my application, they were quick to get back to me to setup an initial round of interview.
    - Overall, the vibe I got from visiting their office is that it is a fast-paced environment.
    - Lunch on the day of the interview.

And now the negatives:
    - I received absolutely no clarity on who was going to interview me, or what type of questions they might ask. Maybe this is by design? All I was told was I would spend 5 hours in the office with them.
    - The time was long. I ended up spending 8 hours in the office. In the end I was tired and wanted to leave so badly :P
    - After my interview, my recruiter promised to give me an answer within 2 business days (explicitly said "2 days at the most"), but I waited for 10 days before I got any update.
    - Although most of the interviewers were nice, once of them was not a great listener. He never looked at me or show any emotion while I was answering his questions. I had no idea how difficult it is to try to talk to someone who shows 0 interest ("shows". I cannot say he wasn't paying attention. I don't know) -- in the end, I was literally struggling for words because I was so discouraged during the conversation.

Overall, I think Clearbanc interview process has its merits, but it is also disorganized and disrespectful of my time.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Clearbanc (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2019.

Interview

The interviewer did not look at me once when she was going through the list of questions she had on her laptop. At the end of her reciting all the questions, hearing my answers, she closed her laptop, and said "I don't think you are a good fit for the company".

It was to my surprise that such a straightforward answer was delivered. I also thought it was unprofessional of her that during the interview process, that she paid no eye contact to me.

I kept my composure, and asked her to elaborate more. She then asked me, so you are still interested? She went on and asked me to do a sales role play with her. The process was not welcoming or friendly at all. There seems to be a very specific way of doing and saying things that she was looking for. She expected that I say and ask exactly how she'd want me to ask the "probing" questions.

I am not a fresh university \ college graduate. She can see that I have a few years of sales experience. She went on and asked me "how do you feel about having a manager who is younger than you"? I find this question bounder line agist.

At the end of the interview, she asked me to "really" think about if I still want this job, and contact her if I do, in almost a condescending way. I have not contacted her, nor have I thanked her for her time. This was an eye opening experience for me. I question the kind of company culture they have based on this interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Sales role play: The interviewer says I am Lobslaws. Our current bottle water supplier is Smartwater. We have a problem that Smartwater is always late with their shipment. I hate talking to Salespeople. You are with Fiji Water. Your goal is to get me sign the contract with Fiji today.   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Clearbanc (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

It was a really positive experience as the process took just under a week!

I had two in-person interviews. The first one was with the Analyst Team Manager and the Talent Acquisition Specialist. The interview felt more like a friendly conversation rather than an interview. The interviewers were able to portray the strong family culture that Clearbanc possesses, provided me with a great amount of information about the job and Clearbanc and answered all my questions thoroughly. That instantly sold me on the job.

The second interview was with the VP of Sales. He explained the job expectations really well and seemed to really care about my growth goals if I decide to join Clearbanc. He also makes it seem more like a friendly conversation rather than an interview.

All in all, I think that the interview process really portrayed the family, friendly and performance based culture instilled at Clearbanc which made me accept the offer without hesitation.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Clearbanc.

Interview

It was a great interview experience. I applied online via video submission and got a call from the recruiter right away. It was conversational and had the chance to introduce myself and learn more about Clearbanc. Came into the office one week later, this interview lasted 2 hours and was also conversational. Discussed my work experience, and knowledge of e-commerce. After that, had a take-home case. Came back the next day to present it and walk the team through my thought process.

Everyone was nice and welcoming throughout, and I gave me the chance to ask a lot of questions.

Interview Questions

• Why Clearbanc?
      Why a startup?
      How will your previous experience help?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Clearbanc (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by the head of operations to come in for my first in-person interview with 2 members of Clearbanc's sales team. The next week, I was invited once again to meet with Clearbanc's Co-founders, Andrew and Michele. They had then invited to hang out with the rest of the employees at one of their company wide meetings.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself/What's your story?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Clearbanc.

Interview

VP Product reached out via LinkedIn through a mutual connection and scheduled a time to chat with him. When it came time for the call, their recruiter called me instead of the VP who had initially reached out to me.

Moved onto the next phase which was an in-person that was originally scheduled with the VP Product and another PM for 30 minutes to work on a case in person, and was changed again last minute to 2 PMs on the team, and extended to 1 hour to allow for more time to ask questions.

I arrived and was promptly greeted by one of the PMs. The hour comprised of working on a case along with providing some background about myself. Discussion went well, the problem statement was well presented.

They were hiring for the mobile team, and ended up optimizing their hiring for someone with more experience. The team did not offer me any feedback regarding why else beyond experience I might've been turned down when I reached out to ask.

The overall interview experience was confusing, as the people I was supposed to meet changed last minute twice through the two steps. No materials or data were given to me outside of a quick 5 minute explainer on how the company operates along with a pretty specific problem statement.

Interview Questions

• We want more of our customers to top up their investments   Answer Question

Business Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Clearbanc (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2019.

Interview

Went for an in person interview at the Toronto location, went fairly well. Typical interview questions, wasn’t that hard. Followed by a role play exercise. After the interview concluded, the interviewer told me to “sleep on it” and email her the next day if I wanted to pursue the job and come in for the next interview. I told her that wasn’t necessary as I was interested, but I followed her instructions and sent her an email the day after the interview confirming I was interested, and she never replied! So... I sent another email, and again, no reply. This company will lead you on, and quite frankly lie directly to your face. Is it that hard to reply to an email? I guess so. Extremely unprofessional.

Business Development Representative Interview

Interview

I was contacted for the Business Development Representative position after submitting my application and a video of myself. The experience was quite negative as the interviewer was rude and condescending.

Senior Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Clearbanc (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2019.

Interview

I had been connected to Clearbanc via a mutual connection to look at a new role they were hiring for. I met with them 3 times, the first two informally and the 3rd more formally.

The company seems like a positive place to work for however I had a negative experience during the interview process.

In the coordination for the interviews it was unclear who I was going to be meeting (as the invites and who attended weren't consistent) and it was unclear whether the meetings were meant to be formal, informal and key discussion points.

I also ended up going back 2 additional times primarily it seemed because they couldn't coordinate everyone at once (I met 4 people in total) and spent 7-8 hours in total in transit and meetings with them.

I didn't receive follow ups when noted. Overall I feel it was somewhat less respectful of my time then I would have expected from a company like Clearbanc. The process felt disorganized and lacked detail.

I suspect this may be because they are just starting this role hence there was no official hiring manager so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and will say this could be a one off.

Sales Role Interview

Application

I interviewed at Clearbanc in May 2019.

Interview

A very disorganized, unprofessional and confusing process. Interviewer was late, and acted in a passive aggressive way throughout the entire interview.

Got the impression that they are interviewing people by the masses, no sense of getting to know you or understand your past background and experiences whatsoever.

Interviewers ask you a series of scripted and very basic, open ended questions. They proceed to type what you say verbatim. Also, you do not meet or speak with any decision makers until much later in the process.