Clearwater Analytics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Clearwater Analytics Interview Questions

Interviews at Clearwater Analytics

3.5

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Clearwater Analytics in December 2018.

Interview

I applied for an entry-level analyst position. The entire process took ~4 weeks
    1. Interview with HR rep. Very short. Easy. Quizzed you on the documents they sent you about Clearwater, what value Clearwater provides to its clients.
    2. Interview with 2 Clearwater Analysts (mine were from Client services). This interview was the most difficult. They ask you brain teasers, place you in tough situations to show how well you think under pressure.
    3. Interview with 2 Managers. Mostly behavioral questions and asking specifics about my resume.
    4. I was told I would do a final interview for a different position that fit my skillset better. The new position paid better and wasn't entry-level, so I was happy!
    5. Interview with 2 managers in the department I would be working in. Mostly behavioral questions, trying to gauge how my work style would fit w/ Clearwater's culture.
    Offer!
    Tips: They will give you some white papers to study in preparation for the interview. Study them (and Clearwater's website) well because they directly or indirectly hold the answer to every question they could ask you about Clearwater.

Interview Questions

• You have two poles that are fifty feet tall connected by a string 100 feet long. The string bends down to where it's almost touching the ground. How far apart are the poles?   1 Answer
    • Why are you leaving your current employer after only a year?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project you worked on that you took advantage of to learn a new skill or grow in some way.   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Clearwater Analytics in October 2018.

Interview

Basically a on paper and online Java/Javascript code exam. The on paper java was most difficult since I'm sure most of you use IDE's, but the biggest thing that made this process sour, was their application process. They ask in person for a resume, then again online, both of those I understand and are fine, but what is really bothering is that the online application you have to do basically has you rewrite your whole resume. Time consuming and annoying.

Interview Questions

• Did Java on paper, then Javascript on CodingHire.com, lot of questions about time complexity.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Clearwater Analytics.

Interview

phone interview with recruiter, coding hire, on site (4 sessions white board coding, design, project related questions) , one more coding hire. I had almost 7 interview sessions for the company and very sad that they didnt even reply when i asked for feedback after they sent the rejection mail.

Interview Questions

• basic coding questions on single dimensional and multi dimensional arrays and a problem statement to implement using OOP   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Clearwater Analytics.

Interview

Had an on campus interview where I was asked to solve mathematical problems -
    Given a cube 10x10 with subcubes of 1x1, find the number of cubes in the edge of the big cube.
    Asked to write a code for reversing a number.

Was called onsite and had 5 rounds.
    ROund 1 was mathematical.
    Round 2 was object oriented
    Round 3 was about my research work
    Round 4 was coding
    and round 5 was with the VP

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clearwater Analytics (Boise, ID) in June 2011.

Interview

First I got an email asking me to take a one-hour test on Google Docs. The questions included algebra (more the kind you can reason about than the kind that requires that you took a relevant class), logic, object-oriented programming, and database topics.

I felt I did well, and got an for a phone interview. It was mostly true false and multiple choice. The questions were again about logic, C++, Java, and databases. The interviewer said it was okay that I didn't have any databases experience, and to just guess for those questions.

After I passed that interview, they did a one-hour collabEdit coding phone interview.

I was asked to reverse a number (like 1284 to 4821) without resorting to string manipulation. I don't think I did very well. After a half hour of me struggling with that, he asked me how what he thought was an easy question: how to find the nearest common ancestor for two nodes in a binary tree.

After I solved that with his help, he asked me what motivated me to work in computer science.

Interview Questions

• How do reverse a number (like 1284 to 4821) without resorting to string manipulation?   1 Answer
    • Write an algorithm to find the most recent common ancestor of two nodes in a binary search tree.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Clearwater Analytics (Boise, ID) in October 2011.

Interview

Clearwater came to my university for a career fair and took my resume. Later that day they called and wanted to interview me the next day on campus. I had interviewed with them the previous year for an intern position, so I kind of knew what to expect. Ironically enough, the same guy interviewed me again and asked me a couple of the same questions. He didn't seem to remember interviewing me the year before.

That first interview lasted about 45 minutes and consisted solely of technical or logic questions, he didn't mention anything on my resume. The first thing he did was hand me a piece of paper with Java code on it and told me to find all the errors I could. He pulled out a stopwatch and timed me for it, too. It has been a while since I've done anything in Java, and I let him know this, so I just picked out what I thought were errors. He didn't tell me if I had missed anything.
    The next question was a math problem involving a system of equations. He asked me this exact question almost word for word last year and I had struggled with it. I remembered it this time and answered it after setting up the equations correctly.
    He then asked me to write some code on paper to do something I don't remember. I remember it wasn't too difficult, but he was concerned with some of the edge cases and run-time of the function.

About a week and a half later I got an e-mail from them saying that they wanted me to come on-site to Boise for more interviews. I figured I would take the opportunity to find out more about what it would be like to work there.

I only lived a couple of hours from Boise, so I opted to drive and they would reimburse me for gas, food, etc. I drove to Boise about a week and a half later and they put me up in a snazzy chic hotel in downtown Boise that was just around the corner from their offices. I got in late so I didn't spend much time checking out the city. My interviews started the next day at 9 am. I had three interviews in the morning each about 45 minutes long, then they took me to lunch and had one last interview in the afternoon.

They gave me a quick tour of the office before my interviews started. Their development team is on one floor of a building in downtown. All around their office they have parts of the Agile Manifesto written on the walls, since they're such an Agile company, I guess. The atmosphere is pretty casual with most of the guys in jeans and tshirts. The only female there was the receptionist that was showing me around. Their office is divided up into teams of about 6 or 8 and each team has two large rooms for their use. One of those rooms has everyone's small workstation set up, no walls or cubicles to divide the developers from each other. The other room for each team consists of white boards on all the walls where they hold their team meetings (but without chairs or desks). Then they have a large conference room called the Colosseum where they hold meetings for the entire development team, I guess.

Each of the on-site interviews were conducted by pairs of developers. Each pair was given a specific set of things to ask about like "math, logic and SQL" or "object-oriented design" or "algorithms" or "presentation". Each interview (except the presentation) was focused entirely on white-board programming and problem solving. They give you a problem or ask you to write a function or class and you do it on the white board.

The questions weren't terribly difficult. I didn't have any SQL experience, so they didn't ask me the question they had planned for that. Also, I'm not great at OO design, so I struggled a little bit through those questions. One of the OO questions was to design a class to model AND and OR gates in a circuit. The other was an intentionally vague question about how to model roads and vehicles with classes. Neither of those went too well.

Most of the questions had been ones I had seen on this site. It seems that they have a small pool of questions they use for every interview.

I was able to ask a couple of questions about what it was like working there. They said it's a really good work/life balance. Basically you put in your hours from 9 to 5 and then go home and forget about the job. They said it's very rare to put in more than 40 hours a week. All of their development from what I understood is done in Java and they are currently working on making their products more scalable. I think they were looking for someone with more database and object-oriented experience.

I found out just a couple days after that they were going to look for another candidate for the job.

Interview Questions

• I have some cars. You have some cars. If I give you one of my cars, we'll have the same number of cars. If you give me one of your cars, I'll have twice as many cars as you. How many cars do we each have?   2 Answers
    • Given a cube made up of n x n x n smaller cubes, write a function that finds the number of smaller cubes with at least one face showing.   2 Answers
    • I like to bike into the mountains on my lunch break. I only have 1 hour to do so, though. If I can bike uphill at 20 km/hr and downhill at 30 km/hr, how far can I go or how long can I ride before I have to turn around to make it back in exactly an hour?   1 Answer
    • Given a binary search tree, write a function that displays the nodes at each level in order.   2 Answers
    • Given an unsorted array of n numbers and some number sum, write a function that checks if there are two numbers in the array that add up to the given sum.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

Application

I interviewed at Clearwater Analytics (Boise, ID) in March 2014.

Interview

I had 3 interviews with Clearwater. The first was a basic interview at my school. The second was an over the phone and over the web interview. The last was an interview on location. The first interview was very easy and involved solving 3 problems: reverse the digits in a number without string manipulation, fibonaccii or factorial question, and lastly was determing if a number is a heavy integer. In the second interview, I was asked to merge two sorted arrays and a question on creating an algorithm using specific objects (this one tested geometry and spacial skills). The third (onsite) interview was a test of algorithmic skills in greater detail.

Interview Questions

• Design a system that can be used to store and validate thousands of different passwords from different users. Each user will have a different password validator and you must be able to store these and create new ones for each new user without having to compile the source code again.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Clearwater Analytics.

Interview

The interview process here is fairly tough and has a lot of steps involved. I interviewed multiple times and each time I had a coding test and series of problem solving riddles.

Interview Questions

• There are twenty-six coins lying on a table in a totally dark room. Ten are heads and sixteen are tails. In the dark you cannot feel or see if a coin is heads up or tails up but you may move them or turn any of them over. Separate the coins into two groups so that each group has the same number of coins heads up as the other group. (No tricks are involved.)   1 Answer

Software Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Clearwater Analytics in February 2018.

Interview

Several phone interviews. Most used their coding site. They ended up being kind of rude when saying no. I was left with a very bad taste in my mouth for the company. It seems like they like to hire mid to late caree rather than try o actually grow their own talent.

SQL Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Clearwater Analytics (Boise, ID).

Interview

Decent first 2 interviews, horrible final interview with CEO. CEO made it a point to 'fluster' me (even confirmed that was his intent), after getting through 2 panel interviews involving technical questions as well as demonstration of logical problem solving and coding examples. CEO was arrogant, rude, disrespectful, and completely unprofessional. Had they offered me a position, I would have turned it down.

Interview Questions

• various coding examples and logic problems   1 Answer

Client Service Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

I was contacted within a week of applying and set up an initial phone interview. They asked me to read a few documents and had me learn a case study before the interview. The questions were very straightforward. I then came in for two in-person interviews at their office. One was with a group of younger employees who were working similar positions; the second interview was with higher ups in the company. They asked a few brain teaser questions but the rest was just standard interview procedure. All the people I met with in person were extremely kind, but the email communication with the HR representative was not so great. They took days or weeks to respond to my messages and even misspelled my name once.