Clinique Beauty Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Clinique Beauty Advisor Interview Questions

Interviews at Clinique

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Johnson City, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Clinique (Johnson City, TN) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied for the cosmetics beauty advisor position at Belk on August 26. I was contacted by email 2 days later and told they were giving my info to the cosmetics manager and she would call the following week to set up an interview. She called and I interviewed on September 1. It was a basic interview with her asking interview questions and discussing job duties and my availability. She said she was interviewing a couple of other people and someone would be in contact with me. I waited around for a couple of weeks before hearing from them and setting up a second interview with the assistant store manager. Upon arrival for my second interview on September 17 I was told that she had to leave sick and someone would call to reschedule. The interview was rescheduled for September 21 with the store manager because the assistant was still out. The interview went well and he may have asked me 2 questions max. He basically explained the job, store and everything I needed to know and told me I did great and would hear from someone soon. I didn't hear from him so I called him and was told to go online and fill out an application for Lancome to begin their hiring process. I got a call a couple of days later from the Lancome manager to schedule a third interview. I interviewed with her on September 26 and it went well. She asked me about my schedule and what I could do for the company etc. I was told I would hear something from the store manager. Once again I didn't hear back. I then got a call from Clinique wanting to set up a phone interview(interview number 4), which I accepted, but I was confused since I had just interviewed with Lancome. The next day I called Belk's store manager back and left a message telling him what was going on and asking if he knew what was going on. I completed Clinique's phone interview which was a scripted set of question that the woman could only read, repeat and give no feedback on. I got a call a week or more after that from the cosmetics manager that I originally interviewed with. She told me that she had been on vacation and wanted me for Clinique instead of Lancome and thats why I went through the Clinique process. She scheduled an interview with the Clinique counter manager(interview number 5). I went for that interview and the manager asked me about myself and then went on to tell me about the brand and their expectations, dress code, etc. She told me I would hear something from the cosmetics manager or store manager soon, which worried me since it had already been a month since the process started. Thankfully I saw him in the parking lot when I was leaving and he knew that I was finished with my interview and he could go check with her. I got a call the next day from him with a job offer from Clinique at $9.00/hr. and 4.5% commission, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• what can you do to meet store, counter and personal sales goals?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Clinique

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Clinique in May 2015.

Interview

I had an initial interview with a store manager at Macy's. I was told I would hear back but hadn't and recieved a phone call from clinique to schedule an interview with talent plus. I had the interview, I did not find it hard, just asking about experiences from previous jobs like most other interviews. It is weird that they dont respond but thats alright. Then I got a call to come in to interview with a different manager from Macys and now I am waiting for another interview with a Clinique manager.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Clinique (Saint Paul, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

First I interviewed with the Beauty Manager. Than the Clinique counter manager, than the district Clinique rep was there. Whole process took 1.5 hours! Went over the basic interview questions with each one. Also, some beauty questions.
    After the interviews, if they like you they submit your info to schedule a Talent Plus phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable touching other peoples faces?   1 Answer

Negotiation

During the Talent Plus interview they told me how much to ask for. They seemed to have this already negotiated with Clinique.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Clinique (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and got an automated email the next day to set up an interview time. My first interview was pretty laid back and went very well. My second interview was over the phone with talent plus. The person conducting the interview basically asks a question, you answer, they wait a couple seconds, and then go on to the next question. It was very nerve wracking and uncomfortable for me, because you get no feedback and leave feeling very unsure of how you did. It's supposedly just a "personality assessment" figure out your strengths, but many of the questions revolved around customer service and sales. Some of the questions were kind of personal also and took me by surprise. After that, I had a third in-person interview which was very casual. I got a call later that day offering me the position, and I accepted. The whole process barely took a week.

Interview Questions

• How would you make sure a client wanted to come back and see you?

Explain a situation where you worked in a team, and what your role in that team was.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clinique (Ann Arbor, MI) in April 2015.

Interview

I am a college student living in a college town and in the summer when students leave, businesses lose a lot of employees. I was recruited by the Macy's Cosmetic Manager and she seemed to really like my makeup and asked if I did it myself. When I told her yes, she encourged me to apply for a cosmetics position and that Clinique had openings. I applied online and in a few days, I received an email asking to set up an interview, where I met witht he same woman again.

The initial Macy's interview was quick and easy. She asked about my leadership and selling experience and if I was comfortable with touch customers' hands and face. After the questioning, she told me about the position and the talent plus interview. That was on a Friday and she told me that Talent Plus should call call on the following Monday. Also, she offered me the option in the case that clinique did not want to hire me, that I could have a "flex" position in the cosmetics department-- not working for any makeup brand, but helping at different counters.

Talent Plus called on Tuesday instead and just asked for an intweview time, which was for the next day, Wednesday. The Talent Plus inteview took about 45 minutes and was very straight forward asking about prefessionalism and business/selling experience. A week passed and I heard nothing, so I assumed I did poorly.

The clinique account executive, who oversees about 25 clinique stores in my region, called me a week later, the following Wednesday telling me that I passed the Talent Plus interview and that they would love to have me, but it was Macy's and not her who officially hired me. She told me to accept $10/hour, the usual pay for incoming college students and to wait a few days because she siad they were going to hire me 100 percent.

3 days later, Saturday, the Macy's Cosemetic Manager called me back and told me that the account exect loved me and gave me an offer.

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clinique.

Interview

I applied online and got an email to come in for a face to face interview four days later. I set my time to interview a week later. The woman who interviewed me was pretty easy going and told me the next step was a talent plus interview. I got a call the next day to set up and appointment for my talent plus phone interview. I researched likely questions all night and came up with various answers. Having absolutely no retail experience I had to be pretty clever. I have the phone interview Thursday and heard back from HR the next Thursday. I was told I did an excellent job and she told me that I was a prime candidate for hiring. She was really easy going and told me what pay to tell them I wanted and everything. At about 4:30 that night I got a phone offer from Macy's. I'm super excited to work for such a great company!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

How much I was paid. Always tell them you prefer more than less.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Clinique (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied through Macy's website and I believe a day later I got an automated email saying that I need to set up a time to interview with Macy's salon & cosmetics manager. I had my interview a few days later and it went pretty well. He was just asking questions off his paper, questions like "Tell me about yourself", "Where have you worked before", etc. Right after my interview with him, we went upstairs and I had a second interview (on the same day) with Clinique's counter manager. She was very nice and asked similar questions as the other manager did, but more makeup questions. She told me that I had a very clean look. After my interview with her, I went through a third interview with Clinique's district manager. She was in charge of all Cliniques within the district and I drove 45 minutes to the city to meet with her. Again, similar questions. The third manager told me more about how Clinique works and talked about the training, dress code, etc. She told me if I got the job someone will call me within the week.

The same day I got a call from the counter manager and got the job! I trained the next two days and was working behind the counter in 2 days! Very fast process and simple. Great managing.

My advice for anyone who is applying is to not wear TOO much makeup. Of course, it depends on what company you work for. MAC would be great for smokey eyes and bold lips, but Clinique I went with a very natural look and both managers really liked that. I also did my research before the interview!

Interview Questions

• - What products do you like from Clinique?

- Where did you work before?

- Why do you want to work at Clinique?

- Is your schedule flexible?

- What was one time you dealt with a difficult situation @ work?

- Can you handle a job that changes everyday (different costumers, personalities, etc)

- At your previous jobs, did you always meet your sale goals?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clinique (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

There are 3 interviews. One initial in-person one with the business manager, one phone interview that is done with an Estee Lauder company rep (this is a personality test), and a final one with the business manager and possibly account executive to give you the job. The first interview is really general and meant to determine how you deal with people. The only Clinique-related question is really "why Clinique." The third (second in-person) is more specific and they get into role-playing and all that, then they offer you the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Clinique and what do you know about the company? Tell us about a challenge you've had to overcome at work. What was the last piece of criticism you received from a manager and how did you handle it? Tell us about a time you've run into conflict with a manager and how that conflict was resolved. The store is empty but you have a $2000 goal to make; how do you do it? What's your favorite Clinique product and why? Now go ahead and try to sell me that same product. How would you close the sale? What is the best kind of customer and the worst kind of customer? What would you say to a customer who came in only to make a return?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clinique (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied at Macy's online job. And I had personal interview w/ HR took only 5 mins. And after 2 days I had talent plus. And it's been a week now. Not hearing anything from HR. Where can I call to know my application status? Should I call HR Macy's to follow up? Thanks!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Gaffney, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clinique (East Gaffney, SC) in October 2015.

Interview

I first had a brief phone interview with a lady from Belk. Two days later I had an interview with a department manager, three days later I had an interview with the assistant store manager, three days later I had an interview with the counter manager. It's been a week since I've had my Talent Plus interview and I've heard nothing.
    I called the Clinique manager yesterday and she said that the HR department should be giving me a call.
    It's just so frustrating to go through so many positive interviews and have the managers use terms like "when you get started" and "when you go to training"....and then end up hearing nothing a week later.

Interview Questions

• It's great that you love makeup, but are you passionate about meeting sales goals?   Answer Question