Co-operative Bank Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Co-operative Bank Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2017

2.8

Graduate Programmer Interview

Interview

The interview process is a surprising 5 stage process. Online application, psychometric tests, video interview were all pretty straight forward. The assessment day was split into four parts. The presentation and interview were the only parts you could pre-prepare, but you were given adequate time to prepare for the other activities.

Finance Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Co-operative Bank (Manchester, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

First after submitting an online application, they asked me to write an essay on the key risks the bank will face in the future and suggest ways to manage these risks. Then after the submission of the essay, I was invited to complete three online tests: verbal, numerical and deductive reasoning.
    A few days after the online tests, I received a phone call from the employer about passing my test and invited me to attend a video interview. The video interview was mainly competencies based with a few questions about your knowledge of the company. For that interview, focus more on the ethical policies and key values of the Co-Operative Bank as they see those aspects seriously.
    After the video interview, I was invited to attend an assessment centre. The assessment centre consists of four tasks: presentation, competencies based interview, case study + role play and group discussion. The presentation is the only thing you can prepare for in advance and they will ask you to prepare printouts of the powerpoint slides for the assessment day. The aspects they assess you on for your presentation are your presentation techniques and whether you are a good fit for the company as they require you to give an example on your leadership style during your presentation. The interview is similar to the video interview but more extensive. The only part I think is a bit tricky is the case study + role play. For that task, they first give you time to read through a 15+ pages case study then you will have a meeting with an assessor who will pretend to be a client of the bank. The case study was quite easy and straightforward, but the meeting part was tricky as the clients would be asking you questions which you might not be expecting so it is best to think out of the box during the case study preparation and don't freak out when the questions are too hard.
    The group discussion task is just similar to other companies' assessment day so no need to worry about it too much, just make sure that you involve everyone in your team to participate and be polite.
    After the assessment centre, they said that they will get back to me within 2-3 weeks whether I meet their requirement and the final stage would be an interview with the hiring manager/manager of the graduate programme. At this moment, I am still waiting to see whether I made it or not.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you step out of your comfort zone and how you manage to deal with it?   Answer Question

Finance Leadership Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Co-operative Bank in March 2017.

Interview

The interview took place via HireVue and was a video interview. I was asked competency based questions relevant to the position I was applying to. The interview lasted around 30 minutes. I heard back within 3 working days but have yet to receive any feedback from the interviewer based on my performance.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you challenged somebody more senior than yourself.   Answer Question

Oversight Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Co-operative Bank (Manchester City Centre, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruitment team inviting me for an interview, went for the interview, was then contacted after the interview by the recruitment team asking me how I thought the interview went.
    I didn't hear if I had been successful so did have to chase for outcome and feedback (though not too sure if I left is long enough when waiting), unfortunately wasn't successful on this occasion but would definitely apply again.

Interview Questions

• I did expect this question "give us an example of when you have taken initiative" but I used an incorrect example that wasn't related to the role   Answer Question

Project & Change Management Leadership Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Co-operative Bank (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

After a long application process including essays, tests, a telephone interview and an assessment centre I was invited to the final stage interview for the Banking Leadership Graduate Programme.

I was informed a few days before the final interview that the scheme that I had originally applied for was no longer available but that the Project & Change Management Leadership Programme was still open. I replied that I was still eager to attend.

In the final interview in Manchester, I felt that I conducted myself in the same manner as I did at the assessment centre.

I was informed by email a few days later that I was not offered a position. Nobody at the Co-op Bank spoke to me directly on the phone.

I chased several times by email and by phone - leaving voicemail messages because nobody ever answered - over the course of months to request feedback and reimbursement of travel expenditures. I was always polite, but nobody ever got back to me.

The way in which I was treated by the Co-operative Bank was unprofessional and unethical.

Overall, I spent many hours of my time preparing for and researching each stage of the application process to make it to the final stage interview, only to be left out of pocket.

Hopefully writing about my experience will discourage others from wasting their time, effort and money.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you challenged someone more senior than you.   Answer Question

Customer Service Advocate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockport, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Co-operative Bank (Stockport, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online through Co-op careers by filling out application form and attaching my CV. Having been short-listed I was invited to complete an Online Assessment which involved a personality test (there were five rounds, in each round you were given four words and had two options to chose 'most like' yourself and 'least like yourself) and a Contact Centre Assessment.

The Contact Centre Assessment was a virtual test in which guidance was given at the start (worth doing the practice before hand to understand the task). It consisted of a customer phoning in with a query and you had to use the software provided to access their policy and provide them with the correct information. This online assessment lasts approximately 20 mins.

As I was successful with the online assessment I was invited to a face-to-face interview (Stockport location) – approx. an hour long. The interview itself was relaxed and the interviewer was kind and easy to talk to. The interview consisted of questions regarding your current role, and competency based questions on life examples. The end of the interview involved generic questions regarding any holidays booked and here is where you can ask your own questions you have about the role (worth doing as it shows you have researched the company, organisation and have a genuine interest to work there). It also involves the pay so negotiate if you wish as the salary ranged from £15300 - £19200.

After the interview my identification was photocopied and I was informed that I would be phoned in a week's time whether I was successful or not.

TIPS:

The company are huge on their ethical values so ensure you have knowledge of these as these form part of the interview questions.

If you verbally accept the job offer prepare for a lot of documentation to fill out and send. There is PeopleChecking, which is vigorous. You will need to ensure you have work or academic references to cover the three year period prior to your start date. You are also required to join the 'New Starter Portal' where there are various tasks that you will need to complete prior to your start date – there are various modules to complete. An offer letter and your contract are sent via email too.

The whole process has taken 6 weeks, from applying to start date.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your current job role   Answer Question
    • Explain a time you have gone out of your way for a customer   Answer Question
    • Explain a time you have delivered excellent customer service   Answer Question
    • What was something you disliked about your previous job role?   Answer Question
    • What ethical value are you most like?   1 Answer

Graduate Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Co-operative Bank (Manchester, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

1) CV and Cover Letter submission.
    2) 45 minute telephone interview with recruiter. It mainly consisted of questions regarding their values (so have them written down in front of you with examples of scenarios that demonstrate each value).
    3) Invited to an Assessment Centre in Manchester. This involved 3a) Reading a scenario pack and presenting your findings to an assessor pretending to be a regional manger. 3b) Undergoing a group exercise. It was a pretty dull exercise and the room was absolutely packed with assessors which was a bit "meh". I felt like half the amount would have been appropriate. 3c) A very long and tedious interview with very repetitive questions. You also had to present a pre-prepared presentation.

During the Assessment Centre I felt very uncomfortable and embarrassed that my dyslexia kept on getting mentioned in front of the other candidates. At other Assessment Centres with alternative firms it was not heavily expressed. So I guess if the Co-operative Bank reads this, please show more discretion.

Two weeks later I was called and offered to attend a final interview in Manchester. I declined due to alternative offers elsewhere.

Alternative offers elsewhere.

Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Co-operative Bank (London, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Telephone interview after online tests, questions were general competency based (problem solving, group work, building relationships) with nothing unexpected however person taking the call did not seem to know anything about me (did not know what degree I was studying for or the position I was interviewing for)

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to work in a group   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you had to convince someone more senior than you of your point of view   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Co-operative Bank (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

This was an interim role for a six month contract with the bank. In contrast to many of the interviews I've had before, this was conducted exclusively over the telephone, rather than face to face. In fact, there was no follow up meeting in person, as the process concluded after the telephone interview.

Interview Questions

• There was a strong emphasis on experience and competency based questioning. For example, I was asked about experience I had of leading a team of other business analysts, and what my style of management was.   Answer Question

Customer Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Co-operative Bank (London, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

Started with online assessment, very basic. Next I had the telephone interview and was asked three basic questions. The personnel who took the telephone interview spoke very politely and she told me I passed soon after I finished. I was booked an appointment for a interview with the branch manager. The interview was again easy, the branch manager and the area manager conducted the interview who were very friendly, the start date is few months later. Very happy with the process, unlike other banks who put you in a lot of stress.