CoStar Group Researcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.4

189 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Multifamily Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Atlanta, GA) in August 2017.

Interview

A recruiter called me, asked a couple of brief questions. Asked if I had any intentions to get my masters or continue my education. I told him that I did plan on going back eventually and he then told me about reimbursement that they offered. I followed up with this when I was asking questions towards the end of the interview, neither of the women interviewing me knew much about it when I asked and was given a very small amount when they told me how much the reimbursement would be. So beware if a recruiter from here tells you they pay for you to get your masters, I don't know of any program that it would even cover a 5th of the price. First off they had the time I was supposed to be there mixed up, so someone else had to fill in for the person who was supposed to interview me. I also shadowed a person in the position I was applying for, I think that it is a very misleading title. This job is basically a telemarketing position. And they expect so many calls per day, which seems to be what they base your performance on it. Why they say they prefer people with an Economics or business degree is beyond me. What they really should say qualifies you is prior work at a call center. An aspect of the interview that I found was odd was when I was asked about working in groups in college, they asked if there were ever a leader of the groups. My response was that there was never a leader in any of the groups I had been in, or at least not in the sense that they micromanaged what everyone else did. I went to a top 20 university so when we had a group project we would each decide which part we would do without assigning a person to decide for us. I'm unsure of the response they were hoping for, as they said they didn't see how anything got done if no one person was in charge. I'm not sure why intelligent people not needing a boss in a group project was a hard concept for them. It really gave the sense to me that there is a lot of room for independent work in the company. When they called to tell me they went with someone else, they told me that it was because I didn't have much experience with making phone calls at any of my previous positions. The recruiter also mentioned about how I had asked about them paying for a masters position and how that worked in their company, and apparently that didn't take well with the interviewers. So I guess the recruiters use that to lure people into interviewing but they don't want anyone to use it. It seems like a very mindless position, honestly read the reviews on here. I wish I had before I took the interview and wasted my time on what is essentially a telemarketing position.

Interview Questions

• If we called a previous employer, how would they describe you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Columbia, MD) in July 2017.

Interview

I received a call to screen for the Research Associate position, but after I told HR that I had applied for this and another position with CoStar in DC the conversation changed. I was told that the Dc position was more fitting for me and if I did not get it to call back. Well I did not get the DC position and called back only to find the Research Associate positions were filled. However , HR told me to call back in 3 weeks. I also received an email thanking me for interviewing that I did not have. I never received the opportunity to discuss my resume! Later other Research Associates positions were posted and I applied and received another call interview date. With this call HR apologized for setting up the interview. They lied and say I SAID I was overqualified. Why would I SAY that and apply again? I never had the opportunity to discuss this position at all with them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Baltimore, MD) in June 2017.

Interview

First let me say I know many people that have worked at Costar and they all had negative things to report. I applied because they start you off at 50K. I figured I can stand on my head for about 6months to a year for 50K, then leave them. So I knew the job is not a happy one,, I've done my research.
    Now onto the interview process, Lame, unprofessional, and pretty transparent.

First was called by a recruiter after applying through the website. Recruiter said it would be about 30days before I'd hear anything, recruiter made that very clear. So I moved on. Then about 30days later,, another different recruiter contacted back, said they would like to line up interviews So we did a typical 20-30minutes phone screen. Since recruiter # 1 already pre-screened me, recruiter # 2 just pretty much wanted to confirm my availability. So then it was all about when can you meet with us. They were now in a rush and only wanted to interview between certain 4hour blocks of time on a specific day. I explained I couldn't take an interview during that time frame because of my existing job. Recruiter # 2 said she would reach out to hiring managers and see if they could accommodate meeting me on my regular day off which is a Monday. A week,,, just crickets, called recruiter, said was checking.... Then around the 2wk mark called to inform me I was not being considered further, they hired someone who was able to meet with them during "their interview time slots" .. so I moved on again... - A month later I get an email thanking me for interviewing - which I never actually did.
    I then reach out to recruiter # 2 via email,, which consequently got ignored, send a follow up email,,, ignored again, Third email combined with a voice mail was the charm. Spoke to recruiter who was practically reading from a script, gave alot of conflicting bogus fluff and prescribed answers.
    All in all,,, they are not professional, I reiterate ; I knew alot about how miserable folks that work there are, but I thought the lame management would reveal itself after hire, NOT in the process of onboarding and / or dealing with a potential candidate. - All in all I feel I dodged a bullet... and case in point is all the negative reviews here by current and former Research Associates. --- It's a serious flag when a prospective employer will NOT work with an applicant with any degree of flexibility when it comes to scheduling an interview. Folks changing jobs can't just interview at the drop of a hat or at the whim of the hiring manager. It's a delicate process to be treated with some respect,, CoStar quite obviously doesn't care about this, they're just hiring bodies to fill chairs.

Interview Questions

• Typical dribble ; Tell me about a time when, what do you know about our company etc, etc   Answer Question

Tenant Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

Initially no one responded to my initial contact until I sent an email to another office location. After an initial phone call from an employee of Costar I made an appointment for an interview. After I hung up I realized that I was wasting my time based on what he had to say on the phone. Then, weeks I got another call from a female employee who discussed the position further and talked me into coming to their office for an interview. It was the biggest mistake I could have made. I went to the interview and waited for employees to come to take me upstairs. When I saw them I knew this was not going to work. They were very young and that is usually a good indication that the company has no interest in older employees. I met with the two females who came down to meet me briefly and then was interviewed by a gentleman who asked questions and had me role play. It all seemed to go very well. I then was escorted out by him but not before he asked me if starting in four weeks would work for me. Of course, that led me to believe that he was offering the job. I waited a few days and decided to contact one of the employees who had met me initally and I sent her an email asking what the intentions were. She replied shortly and informed me that they were overwhelmed with applicants and were impressed with me but obviously not enough to hire me. Now today, I see a new ad on Indeed for the position that she clearly stated they had an enormous amount of applicants for. To top everything off, I was obviously lied to on more than one occasion by their employees. It may be a trillion dollar company financially but their professional presentation is horrible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

3 parts as described in other reviews and not stressful. Very comfortable environment. They make you read a mock phone call just to see if youre comfortable on the phones. Gorgeous view from the Richmond location.

Research Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

As CoStar Group matures in the Richmond marketplace, hopefully they will be less age-centric and realize that mature leaders with experience would be an asset in driving their KPI and metrics.

Interview Questions

• Phone Screen Questions: Would you work 8a-8p M-F to cover West Coast time through EOY? We have a firm salary cap for Mgrs. at $85,000? Have you applied with CoStar Group before?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

Went in for an interview for research associate position back in May. I met with 2 different hiring managers and felt that I had great interviews and discussions with them. I was told that they "weren't hiring as aggressively" as they used to be, but that if I hadn't heard from them I should take it as a positive sign that they are preparing an offer. After not hearing back the entire month of June, I assumed that this was a good sign. Was finally emailed in July by a lady who wasn't even my recruiter and notified that they had moved on with another candidate...Don't even waste your time applying for this company. Completely unorganized hiring process and they are experts at leading candidates on

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview

It is a long process, great interaction with the team as well as in person interview, skype with HR and managing. You have to know about your background and how you will be an asset for the company.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for this company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA).

Interview

30 minute phone interview with corporate recruiter. Covered background, how I heard about the new Richmond office, etc. Basic phone interview to gauge fit. Followed up by in person interview 2 weeks later.

In person interview was about 2:30-3:00 hours. Interview involved three 45 minute interviews: shadowing a current Research Associate and making a mock phone call, interview with Research Manager, and interview with a Research Director.

The entire interview felt rushed. I was brought in as a group and briefed before being cycled off to one of the aforementioned interviews. During each interview I was pulled out before I could finish asking questions about the position because they were trying to rush people through the interviews. For example, I was pulled off my shadowing before making the mock phone call because I had a few questions about the back-end systems and data recording that apparently ran over the allotted time. I was interrupted during my meeting with the manager about 25 minutes in because another person had finished their allotment early. In addition, I was constantly asked about my fit to their metric based evaluations. Coming from a client-facing and metric based position, I found it disconcerting that each person gave me different numbers of expectations.

All in all, I went in with a very vested interest in the position, but the extremely young management staff signaled to me a problem with employee retention. The disjointed interview process and the inconsistent metrics ( I come from a sales and client relations background) felt very off to me. I've no problem with expectations and meeting them, but I got very mixed signals from each level of the system.

*fun note: I was at one point told that it's still a start up environment because the CEO talks to all the new hires once in a while.... A publicly traded company is not a start up.

Interview Questions

• How does your background align with CoStar's growth platform?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Columbia, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

Employee referral from an old classmate. Received an Email link to an online application. Phone screening the next day. In-person interview a week later. In-person interview consisted of a side-by-side sit in with an experienced employee including a mock phone call (using a script to call another person in the building, its just to see if you're comfortable talking to a stranger on the phone). Also two separate 1:1 interviews, one with a manager-level employee and one with a "director" level. Got an unofficial offer the day after the in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Have you had a lot of outgoing call experience in your previous jobs?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable working in a metric-driven environment?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your understanding of the position so far.   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me a time you were part of a team success?   Answer Question