CoStar Group Research Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 5, 2017

2.5

154 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

Human Resource Manager was very informative about the company and the interview process, current research associate was exceptional about explaining job responsibilities and deliverables, Hiring Manager was hostile and emphasized they needed positive people in the workplace which really set up a red flag.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a positive attitude?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for CoStar Group

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview

You first shadow a research associate, who explains the process of contacting brokers. After, you are expected to engage in a mock phone call. This is followed by the interview, which consists of typical interview questions and lasts around half an hour.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Initially had a phone screen with a recruiter after I submitted a resume. Average phone screen, asked about back ground, asked about expected salary. Scheduled interview for one week later.

First, met with a current research associate and went over her day to day. Listened to a few calls that she made and then made a mock call of my own to another associate about. For the call the you are given a script to read off of. Next, met with two managers. Pretty standard interview. Reviewed my resume and background, asked why Costar, why real estate. Standard. At the end met with the VP of Research, closed with a recap and any questions I may have.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Columbia, MD) in July 2017.

Interview

I received a call to screen for the Research Associate position, but after I told HR that I had applied for this and another position with CoStar in DC the conversation changed. I was told that the Dc position was more fitting for me and if I did not get it to call back. Well I did not get the DC position and called back only to find the Research Associate positions were filled. However , HR told me to call back in 3 weeks. I also received an email thanking me for interviewing that I did not have. I never received the opportunity to discuss my resume! Later other Research Associates positions were posted and I applied and received another call interview date. With this call HR apologized for setting up the interview. They lied and say I SAID I was overqualified. Why would I SAY that and apply again? I never had the opportunity to discuss this position at all with them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Baltimore, MD) in June 2017.

Interview

First let me say I know many people that have worked at Costar and they all had negative things to report. I applied because they start you off at 50K. I figured I can stand on my head for about 6months to a year for 50K, then leave them. So I knew the job is not a happy one,, I've done my research.
    Now onto the interview process, Lame, unprofessional, and pretty transparent.

First was called by a recruiter after applying through the website. Recruiter said it would be about 30days before I'd hear anything, recruiter made that very clear. So I moved on. Then about 30days later,, another different recruiter contacted back, said they would like to line up interviews So we did a typical 20-30minutes phone screen. Since recruiter # 1 already pre-screened me, recruiter # 2 just pretty much wanted to confirm my availability. So then it was all about when can you meet with us. They were now in a rush and only wanted to interview between certain 4hour blocks of time on a specific day. I explained I couldn't take an interview during that time frame because of my existing job. Recruiter # 2 said she would reach out to hiring managers and see if they could accommodate meeting me on my regular day off which is a Monday. A week,,, just crickets, called recruiter, said was checking.... Then around the 2wk mark called to inform me I was not being considered further, they hired someone who was able to meet with them during "their interview time slots" .. so I moved on again... - A month later I get an email thanking me for interviewing - which I never actually did.
    I then reach out to recruiter # 2 via email,, which consequently got ignored, send a follow up email,,, ignored again, Third email combined with a voice mail was the charm. Spoke to recruiter who was practically reading from a script, gave alot of conflicting bogus fluff and prescribed answers.
    All in all,,, they are not professional, I reiterate ; I knew alot about how miserable folks that work there are, but I thought the lame management would reveal itself after hire, NOT in the process of onboarding and / or dealing with a potential candidate. - All in all I feel I dodged a bullet... and case in point is all the negative reviews here by current and former Research Associates. --- It's a serious flag when a prospective employer will NOT work with an applicant with any degree of flexibility when it comes to scheduling an interview. Folks changing jobs can't just interview at the drop of a hat or at the whim of the hiring manager. It's a delicate process to be treated with some respect,, CoStar quite obviously doesn't care about this, they're just hiring bodies to fill chairs.

Interview Questions

• Typical dribble ; Tell me about a time when, what do you know about our company etc, etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

3 parts as described in other reviews and not stressful. Very comfortable environment. They make you read a mock phone call just to see if youre comfortable on the phones. Gorgeous view from the Richmond location.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

Went in for an interview for research associate position back in May. I met with 2 different hiring managers and felt that I had great interviews and discussions with them. I was told that they "weren't hiring as aggressively" as they used to be, but that if I hadn't heard from them I should take it as a positive sign that they are preparing an offer. After not hearing back the entire month of June, I assumed that this was a good sign. Was finally emailed in July by a lady who wasn't even my recruiter and notified that they had moved on with another candidate...Don't even waste your time applying for this company. Completely unorganized hiring process and they are experts at leading candidates on

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview

It is a long process, great interaction with the team as well as in person interview, skype with HR and managing. You have to know about your background and how you will be an asset for the company.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for this company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA).

Interview

30 minute phone interview with corporate recruiter. Covered background, how I heard about the new Richmond office, etc. Basic phone interview to gauge fit. Followed up by in person interview 2 weeks later.

In person interview was about 2:30-3:00 hours. Interview involved three 45 minute interviews: shadowing a current Research Associate and making a mock phone call, interview with Research Manager, and interview with a Research Director.

The entire interview felt rushed. I was brought in as a group and briefed before being cycled off to one of the aforementioned interviews. During each interview I was pulled out before I could finish asking questions about the position because they were trying to rush people through the interviews. For example, I was pulled off my shadowing before making the mock phone call because I had a few questions about the back-end systems and data recording that apparently ran over the allotted time. I was interrupted during my meeting with the manager about 25 minutes in because another person had finished their allotment early. In addition, I was constantly asked about my fit to their metric based evaluations. Coming from a client-facing and metric based position, I found it disconcerting that each person gave me different numbers of expectations.

All in all, I went in with a very vested interest in the position, but the extremely young management staff signaled to me a problem with employee retention. The disjointed interview process and the inconsistent metrics ( I come from a sales and client relations background) felt very off to me. I've no problem with expectations and meeting them, but I got very mixed signals from each level of the system.

*fun note: I was at one point told that it's still a start up environment because the CEO talks to all the new hires once in a while.... A publicly traded company is not a start up.

Interview Questions

• How does your background align with CoStar's growth platform?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Columbia, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

Employee referral from an old classmate. Received an Email link to an online application. Phone screening the next day. In-person interview a week later. In-person interview consisted of a side-by-side sit in with an experienced employee including a mock phone call (using a script to call another person in the building, its just to see if you're comfortable talking to a stranger on the phone). Also two separate 1:1 interviews, one with a manager-level employee and one with a "director" level. Got an unofficial offer the day after the in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Have you had a lot of outgoing call experience in your previous jobs?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable working in a metric-driven environment?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your understanding of the position so far.   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me a time you were part of a team success?   Answer Question