CoStar Group Research Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CoStar Group Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2017

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

3 parts as described in other reviews and not stressful. Very comfortable environment. They make you read a mock phone call just to see if youre comfortable on the phones. Gorgeous view from the Richmond location.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for CoStar Group

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview

It is a long process, great interaction with the team as well as in person interview, skype with HR and managing. You have to know about your background and how you will be an asset for the company.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for this company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA).

Interview

30 minute phone interview with corporate recruiter. Covered background, how I heard about the new Richmond office, etc. Basic phone interview to gauge fit. Followed up by in person interview 2 weeks later.

In person interview was about 2:30-3:00 hours. Interview involved three 45 minute interviews: shadowing a current Research Associate and making a mock phone call, interview with Research Manager, and interview with a Research Director.

The entire interview felt rushed. I was brought in as a group and briefed before being cycled off to one of the aforementioned interviews. During each interview I was pulled out before I could finish asking questions about the position because they were trying to rush people through the interviews. For example, I was pulled off my shadowing before making the mock phone call because I had a few questions about the back-end systems and data recording that apparently ran over the allotted time. I was interrupted during my meeting with the manager about 25 minutes in because another person had finished their allotment early. In addition, I was constantly asked about my fit to their metric based evaluations. Coming from a client-facing and metric based position, I found it disconcerting that each person gave me different numbers of expectations.

All in all, I went in with a very vested interest in the position, but the extremely young management staff signaled to me a problem with employee retention. The disjointed interview process and the inconsistent metrics ( I come from a sales and client relations background) felt very off to me. I've no problem with expectations and meeting them, but I got very mixed signals from each level of the system.

*fun note: I was at one point told that it's still a start up environment because the CEO talks to all the new hires once in a while.... A publicly traded company is not a start up.

Interview Questions

• How does your background align with CoStar's growth platform?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Columbia, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

Employee referral from an old classmate. Received an Email link to an online application. Phone screening the next day. In-person interview a week later. In-person interview consisted of a side-by-side sit in with an experienced employee including a mock phone call (using a script to call another person in the building, its just to see if you're comfortable talking to a stranger on the phone). Also two separate 1:1 interviews, one with a manager-level employee and one with a "director" level. Got an unofficial offer the day after the in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Have you had a lot of outgoing call experience in your previous jobs?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable working in a metric-driven environment?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your understanding of the position so far.   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me a time you were part of a team success?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Columbia, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

I had an overall positive interview experience. Multiple people scheduled to interview at once. You sit through three interview sessions, and the process takes about 2 hours and 30 min. One involves shadowing someone in the research associate positon. At the end you do a mock call. The other two involve sitting down with two upper level mangers, both of whom were very laid back, open and honest.

Interview Questions

• Name one personal or professional experience that you're most proud of.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

Meet with HR Manager, then you sit with a Research Associate to give you an overview if the job then you have an interview with a HR Representative. Total 1.5 to 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• Why are you qualified to do the work?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone call interview and then an in-person interview. You meet with Human Resources first and then you have a mock call and get shown how things work in the office followed by an interview with a research manager.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses? Why CoStar? Are you comfortable in a metrics-based environment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

Interviewed during an Open House day in the Washington DC location. Started with a speech from the VP of Research about the company and its history. Next, went to a side-by-side with someone currently in the Research Associate role. Finally, had an one-on-one interview with a Research Manager. Overall, average interview difficulty. They really just wanted to know more about my job history and where I felt like I was headed. I got a call exactly a week later with an offer. I accepted a day later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

If you can go to one of their Open Houses, do so. It will give you a great idea as to what the "research position" actually entails. The whole thing is about 2 hours. There will be a small presentation, a sit-in with an actual employee (you can observe how they work), and then you will have your interview.

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Columbia, MD).

Interview

On phone interview then a two hour in-person interview. During the two hour interview, for the first hour you sit with a researcher and they explain and show you what they do. Also they test to see if you can do basic Excel functions and make you do a mock phone call. Then the last hour is with a Research Director and a Research Manager. They also do a background check and drug test.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Costar? (during the phone interview)   Answer Question