CoStar Group Research Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CoStar Group Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Feb 24, 2017

2.4

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process with CoStar is unorganized. It is a three-pronged interview and the interviewers (young people) often contradicted each other. I'm not sure how clear the CoStar vision is, especially because they cannot seem to all get on the same page.

Interview Questions

• What makes you think you can excel as a research associate for CoStar?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CoStar Group

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview

Day long interview, met with 3 research managers and HR. My first phone interview was missed by a recruiter. He was very disorganized and I almost passed on it because he couldn't get anything right. However, when I had the on-site interview I really liked the interviewer. After a day long intro, I got a call about 3 days later with a job offer and I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

The building is new and glamorous. The HR telephone interview is of great use, however, when it boils down to sit and meet the managers for the final interview you may be left empty and uncertain. I thought that the HR telephone interview was better, more informal and indicative towards receiving full feedback. The HR professional obviously scheduled the whole interview process and should receive a golden star for their effort on recruiting. When you ask them questions about the overall organization of the company, they get defensive about it. This is not a place that one can grow experience, rather seems a repetitive job, even know the job can be done anywhere, telecommuting is not permitted. Again, this is a job that requires 90% phone work and most of the time depending on which region you do make the phone calls, you won't get a response so you skip the callers and move on. Boring, but did not see the creative edge to this job. It's something that one can do at home considering but it's not an option. Managers think that you may know exactly what the job entails by HR which is not true, the HR is there to prepare to kick butt on the interview. You will know what the job entails whenever you do get to sit down with a Researcher and observe their work, that's the bottom line. Overall, managers may ask bad questions, although it wont be mentioned in your critique if you want to know why you did not get hired. It seems offering good answers to questions and then being told otherwise is a huge issue on the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to become a Research Associate.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (San Diego, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied on LinkedIn, received phone screen date 2 days later, received in-person interview 2 days after, received decision the following day. Smooth process. Recruiter was very nice and helpful, she also provided some potential interview questions which was helpful.

You start by having a meet and greet with the front desk and then paired with a research associate to shadow them make a few calls. You are then asked to do a quick excel exercise (nothing crazy) which utilizes the sum, filter and sort functions. After that, you are provided with a script and proceed to do a mock phone call to the manager in the office.

After the phone call, you are taken to a panel-style interview with a manager and another higher-up who ask you about your resume, work experience and a variety of questions (check out what people have posted, they are spot on)

Received a verbal offer the following day and paperwork to virtually sign and a drug test appointment.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, 42k + opportunities for overtime

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in June 2016.

Interview

The process was pretty smooth. It's a two-part interview and takes up a total of 2.5 hours. The first hour is spent shadowing a research Associate at their desk. You watch them conduct a phone interview and how they collect information for their database. The RA will ask you to make a mock phone call but it's not very difficult seeing as though you are given a script to read from and the call is placed to an employee within the office. The second part of the interview is a sit down panel style discussion with Research team managers. They will ask you general questions about your resume, your work ethic, your duties as a RA, and try to guage you general interest and commitment to CoStar and commercial real estate. It's important to remain enthusiastic and excited about CoStar and commercial real estate.

Interview Questions

• Why commercial real estate? Why CoStar? Where do you see your self a year from now? If you could have any job a year from now what would it be? How are your time management skills?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Brief,concise interview for 30 minutes and see the floor. Shadow employee for an hour. See the building and have any questions answered. Very useful and efficient interview process. Took a couple hours but the time went by fast trying to soak everything in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fairly smooth. It was like any other standard interview that one has gone to. I was asked a series of questions so that they could see why I was interested in the job as well as the company. They also asked about how I possibly wanted to further my career.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Pretty easy process. First, I had a phone interview and then I went in for an in person interview. I met with a research associate, manager, and then a research director.

Interview Questions

• How does the company make money?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

First step is short phone interview with recruiter, basic questions, why real estate? why costar? Next is in person interview at HQ with 3 different parts. 1st part is quick meet and greet with recruiter. 2nd is side by side with senior research associate, short mock phone call and excel exercise( filter, sort, sum). 3rd is panel interview with two mangers . From time of application to time of offer was less than 2 weeks, very fast process.

Interview Questions

• Why Costar?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had to works as a team and what was your responsibility, the end goal, and results.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group in December 2015.

Interview

The interview process works thliek this:
    First informal phone interview. 1h 20m
    Second is in person interview. 3 hours
    This part of interview they inform you about costar then you go to a mock research call, then finally an interview with the research mangers.in the final part of the interview they ask you about you resume and I believe they test you on how well you deal with interruptions,but this is speculation. Over all great experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time.... Very generic questions. In my case those type of questions ended relatilvy quickly and we discussed past experiences that would help me achieve my goals at costar.   Answer Question