CoStar Group Research Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CoStar Group Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2017

2.4

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview

It is a long process, great interaction with the team as well as in person interview, skype with HR and managing. You have to know about your background and how you will be an asset for the company.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for this company?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for CoStar Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA).

Interview

30 minute phone interview with corporate recruiter. Covered background, how I heard about the new Richmond office, etc. Basic phone interview to gauge fit. Followed up by in person interview 2 weeks later.

In person interview was about 2:30-3:00 hours. Interview involved three 45 minute interviews: shadowing a current Research Associate and making a mock phone call, interview with Research Manager, and interview with a Research Director.

The entire interview felt rushed. I was brought in as a group and briefed before being cycled off to one of the aforementioned interviews. During each interview I was pulled out before I could finish asking questions about the position because they were trying to rush people through the interviews. For example, I was pulled off my shadowing before making the mock phone call because I had a few questions about the back-end systems and data recording that apparently ran over the allotted time. I was interrupted during my meeting with the manager about 25 minutes in because another person had finished their allotment early. In addition, I was constantly asked about my fit to their metric based evaluations. Coming from a client-facing and metric based position, I found it disconcerting that each person gave me different numbers of expectations.

All in all, I went in with a very vested interest in the position, but the extremely young management staff signaled to me a problem with employee retention. The disjointed interview process and the inconsistent metrics ( I come from a sales and client relations background) felt very off to me. I've no problem with expectations and meeting them, but I got very mixed signals from each level of the system.

*fun note: I was at one point told that it's still a start up environment because the CEO talks to all the new hires once in a while.... A publicly traded company is not a start up.

Interview Questions

• How does your background align with CoStar's growth platform?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Columbia, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

I had an overall positive interview experience. Multiple people scheduled to interview at once. You sit through three interview sessions, and the process takes about 2 hours and 30 min. One involves shadowing someone in the research associate positon. At the end you do a mock call. The other two involve sitting down with two upper level mangers, both of whom were very laid back, open and honest.

Interview Questions

• Name one personal or professional experience that you're most proud of.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Columbia, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

Employee referral from an old classmate. Received an Email link to an online application. Phone screening the next day. In-person interview a week later. In-person interview consisted of a side-by-side sit in with an experienced employee including a mock phone call (using a script to call another person in the building, its just to see if you're comfortable talking to a stranger on the phone). Also two separate 1:1 interviews, one with a manager-level employee and one with a "director" level. Got an unofficial offer the day after the in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Have you had a lot of outgoing call experience in your previous jobs?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable working in a metric-driven environment?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your understanding of the position so far.   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me a time you were part of a team success?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

Meet with HR Manager, then you sit with a Research Associate to give you an overview if the job then you have an interview with a HR Representative. Total 1.5 to 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• Why are you qualified to do the work?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Columbia, MD).

Interview

On phone interview then a two hour in-person interview. During the two hour interview, for the first hour you sit with a researcher and they explain and show you what they do. Also they test to see if you can do basic Excel functions and make you do a mock phone call. Then the last hour is with a Research Director and a Research Manager. They also do a background check and drug test.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Costar? (during the phone interview)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend after applying online. I was then contacted by a recruiter for a 15-minute phone call. We discussed the scope of the role and my background before she asked a few questions.

She then forwarded my resume to the recruiting manager and we had another 15 minute phone call to go over more specifics about the job and the set up an interview.

I was the contacted by a different recruiter (DC office) who walked me through what to expect for the interview and to prep me for the questions they'd ask. He was REALLY helpful!

The wait was not long. He met me in the lobby and escorted me to a kind of communal area and he described the office to me and the atmosphere. He described some of the unofficial benefits: Gym, personal trainer who teaches classes, partial reimbursement for metro, free lunch, etc. After 15 minutes, a current research associate came down and got me for the first phase of the interview: The Side-By-Side.

The side-by-side was straightforward and helpful in gauging if the office and atmosphere is for you. You observe the associate making calls and working the system. They walk you through it. It's good to do some research on the company before this so that you can ask relevant questions and demonstrate some knowledge. She was impressed by this (the associate you shadow evaluates you). After observing, you then do a mock call. This isn't about how well you know the system. It's about your comfort on the phone! You call someone else in the office and have a script you can follow so don't stress. But don't bother interviewing in the first place if you're not comfortable on the phone. Anyways, after the call, you ask questions and talk more. Again, ask good questions.

Next is the first interview with a manager. First they ask a bit about your background and then it's all about behavioral questions. Be sure you always tie it back to the job and the role responsibilities. Give some context. Describe the actions you took and what the result was. After their questions, you ask questions. Ask questions that came up in the side-by-side. Ask about the culture. Ask about their metrics, because those are important to the job. Ask about how they got to their position or into this field. Ask about what they look for in a successful candidate. Ask about how to excel and advance at CoStar. Just make sure you demonstrate enthusiasm for the job and the company!

Then you have another interview with another manager. Same rules apply a for this one. Demonstrate that you understand the job is a lot of phone work and that you're comfortable with that. Ask a lot of questions! They let you bring a notebook to take notes and write down questions for your interviews so make sure you have a lot! Write some before you even arrive for the interview! They appreciate it. They cut out time for the questions so take advantage of it. My biggest piece of advice is DO NOT answer with generic answers. Give specific examples!

After finishing the interviews, I was escorted back to my recruiter. He explained that the managers and the girl I shadowed would convene and discuss everything and then they'd listen to my call (yes, it's recorded). Then he'd call me within the next week and let me know their decision. I interviewed on a Friday and received an offer three days later on Monday.

They make an informal offer over the phone and pick a start date for your month of training. They then email you the formal offer package. There is a background check and a drug test that you have to complete within 48 hours of receiving the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to get information out of someone who was being difficult/did not want to reveal it.   1 Answer
    • What is your greatest achievement?   1 Answer
    • Why CoStar?   Answer Question
    • Why commercial real estate?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to be a Research Associate?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Interview

The interview is long. They are screening to see if you are competent. Ask questions and sound enthusiastic and you should get the job easily. This position is mundane and requires you to make a ton of phone calls so be ready to be in a call center.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email to arrange a phone interview within a few days of submitting my application. I exchange a few emails and quickly arranged an phone interview with a Research Team Manager. The interview was brief and what I typically expect from an initial phone interview. We concluded the call with an agreement that I would visit the Washington D.C. office for an in-person interview on a specific date, at a very specific time.

A few days after the initial phone interview, I emailed the manager to confirm the date and time of the interview in writing. I received no response. Two days later, I emailed the manager once again to confirm the date and time of the interview. Again, I received no response.

Perhaps the manager reconsidered her initial decision to recommend me for further consideration, which is her right. However, it is unprofessional to disregard a professional inquiry. Effective leaders and managers should be mature enough to address difficult situations directly. Ignoring an uncomfortable conversation reflects poorly on the organization.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application online and was soon scheduled for a phone screen. This call was done with a recruiter in DC. At the end of the call he scheduled me for an in-person interview at their Richmond, VA office. The interview was just under 2 hours, and consisted of 2 interviews: one with a current Research Associate and another with a Manager. The former, which was more relaxed, including an Excel test and a mock phone call. The interview with the Manager was much more formal.