CoStar Group Research Associate Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

CoStar Group Research Associate Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated May 14, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

Interviewed during an Open House day in the Washington DC location. Started with a speech from the VP of Research about the company and its history. Next, went to a side-by-side with someone currently in the Research Associate role. Finally, had an one-on-one interview with a Research Manager. Overall, average interview difficulty. They really just wanted to know more about my job history and where I felt like I was headed. I got a call exactly a week later with an offer. I accepted a day later.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for CoStar Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

If you can go to one of their Open Houses, do so. It will give you a great idea as to what the "research position" actually entails. The whole thing is about 2 hours. There will be a small presentation, a sit-in with an actual employee (you can observe how they work), and then you will have your interview.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend after applying online. I was then contacted by a recruiter for a 15-minute phone call. We discussed the scope of the role and my background before she asked a few questions.

She then forwarded my resume to the recruiting manager and we had another 15 minute phone call to go over more specifics about the job and the set up an interview.

I was the contacted by a different recruiter (DC office) who walked me through what to expect for the interview and to prep me for the questions they'd ask. He was REALLY helpful!

The wait was not long. He met me in the lobby and escorted me to a kind of communal area and he described the office to me and the atmosphere. He described some of the unofficial benefits: Gym, personal trainer who teaches classes, partial reimbursement for metro, free lunch, etc. After 15 minutes, a current research associate came down and got me for the first phase of the interview: The Side-By-Side.

The side-by-side was straightforward and helpful in gauging if the office and atmosphere is for you. You observe the associate making calls and working the system. They walk you through it. It's good to do some research on the company before this so that you can ask relevant questions and demonstrate some knowledge. She was impressed by this (the associate you shadow evaluates you). After observing, you then do a mock call. This isn't about how well you know the system. It's about your comfort on the phone! You call someone else in the office and have a script you can follow so don't stress. But don't bother interviewing in the first place if you're not comfortable on the phone. Anyways, after the call, you ask questions and talk more. Again, ask good questions.

Next is the first interview with a manager. First they ask a bit about your background and then it's all about behavioral questions. Be sure you always tie it back to the job and the role responsibilities. Give some context. Describe the actions you took and what the result was. After their questions, you ask questions. Ask questions that came up in the side-by-side. Ask about the culture. Ask about their metrics, because those are important to the job. Ask about how they got to their position or into this field. Ask about what they look for in a successful candidate. Ask about how to excel and advance at CoStar. Just make sure you demonstrate enthusiasm for the job and the company!

Then you have another interview with another manager. Same rules apply a for this one. Demonstrate that you understand the job is a lot of phone work and that you're comfortable with that. Ask a lot of questions! They let you bring a notebook to take notes and write down questions for your interviews so make sure you have a lot! Write some before you even arrive for the interview! They appreciate it. They cut out time for the questions so take advantage of it. My biggest piece of advice is DO NOT answer with generic answers. Give specific examples!

After finishing the interviews, I was escorted back to my recruiter. He explained that the managers and the girl I shadowed would convene and discuss everything and then they'd listen to my call (yes, it's recorded). Then he'd call me within the next week and let me know their decision. I interviewed on a Friday and received an offer three days later on Monday.

They make an informal offer over the phone and pick a start date for your month of training. They then email you the formal offer package. There is a background check and a drug test that you have to complete within 48 hours of receiving the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to get information out of someone who was being difficult/did not want to reveal it.   1 Answer
    • What is your greatest achievement?   1 Answer
    • Why CoStar?   Answer Question
    • Why commercial real estate?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to be a Research Associate?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

The building is new and glamorous. The HR telephone interview is of great use, however, when it boils down to sit and meet the managers for the final interview you may be left empty and uncertain. I thought that the HR telephone interview was better, more informal and indicative towards receiving full feedback. The HR professional obviously scheduled the whole interview process and should receive a golden star for their effort on recruiting. When you ask them questions about the overall organization of the company, they get defensive about it. This is not a place that one can grow experience, rather seems a repetitive job, even know the job can be done anywhere, telecommuting is not permitted. Again, this is a job that requires 90% phone work and most of the time depending on which region you do make the phone calls, you won't get a response so you skip the callers and move on. Boring, but did not see the creative edge to this job. It's something that one can do at home considering but it's not an option. Managers think that you may know exactly what the job entails by HR which is not true, the HR is there to prepare to kick butt on the interview. You will know what the job entails whenever you do get to sit down with a Researcher and observe their work, that's the bottom line. Overall, managers may ask bad questions, although it wont be mentioned in your critique if you want to know why you did not get hired. It seems offering good answers to questions and then being told otherwise is a huge issue on the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to become a Research Associate.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in June 2016.

Interview

The process was pretty smooth. It's a two-part interview and takes up a total of 2.5 hours. The first hour is spent shadowing a research Associate at their desk. You watch them conduct a phone interview and how they collect information for their database. The RA will ask you to make a mock phone call but it's not very difficult seeing as though you are given a script to read from and the call is placed to an employee within the office. The second part of the interview is a sit down panel style discussion with Research team managers. They will ask you general questions about your resume, your work ethic, your duties as a RA, and try to guage you general interest and commitment to CoStar and commercial real estate. It's important to remain enthusiastic and excited about CoStar and commercial real estate.

Interview Questions

• Why commercial real estate? Why CoStar? Where do you see your self a year from now? If you could have any job a year from now what would it be? How are your time management skills?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Brief,concise interview for 30 minutes and see the floor. Shadow employee for an hour. See the building and have any questions answered. Very useful and efficient interview process. Took a couple hours but the time went by fast trying to soak everything in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fairly smooth. It was like any other standard interview that one has gone to. I was asked a series of questions so that they could see why I was interested in the job as well as the company. They also asked about how I possibly wanted to further my career.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Pretty easy process. First, I had a phone interview and then I went in for an in person interview. I met with a research associate, manager, and then a research director.

Interview Questions

• How does the company make money?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

First step is short phone interview with recruiter, basic questions, why real estate? why costar? Next is in person interview at HQ with 3 different parts. 1st part is quick meet and greet with recruiter. 2nd is side by side with senior research associate, short mock phone call and excel exercise( filter, sort, sum). 3rd is panel interview with two mangers . From time of application to time of offer was less than 2 weeks, very fast process.

Interview Questions

• Why Costar?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had to works as a team and what was your responsibility, the end goal, and results.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Pretty straight forward. Started off with a half hour phone interview with a recruiter. Went over my resume, asked for specific examples, asked why I was interested in the job. Was invited for an in person interview at the office. There are three parts to the interview. First is very informal, lasted about half an hour, and was kind of a last minute prep with the recruiter. From there a current employee picks you up and you shadow them for half an hour. There is a quick Excel exercise, and you have to do a mock phone call, but you can just read off the script. From there you are taken to the third part, which is you and two managers. They are big on why you want to start a career in Commercial Real Estate, and why CoStar. Honestly if you knock those two out of the park and do below average on the rest you still might get the job, that's how much they weigh those questions. Overall good experience, everyone was nice and the office was pretty cool too.