CoStar Group Interview Questions in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

2.3

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at CoStar Group (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I started off with phone screener, which consisted more on analyzing my prior experience than technical questions. I thought it went great but apparently I was rejected according to the feedback. No big deal and I was ready to move on but apparently another team within the country was interested in me. They brought me in for an on site interview. More than half the time was spent on my prior experience but in the end I was presented with a few technical questions that I answered with my own legitimate solutions. The interviewer then politely told me they weren't looking for juniors and sent me on my way without even letting me touch a computer. I am not a junior.

I have honestly never heard of this company before and they came off unexpectedly elitist. I found out later they pretty much only take on people with 12-15 years experience. I've seen their work and hope to never find myself working on something so boring that late in my career. I got an offer at another place a few weeks later and it wasn't for a junior position.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (San Diego, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Interview was in three phases: (1) Recruiter asks basic programming questions to ensure that I had fundamental knowledge. (2) Phone interview with a tech at CoStar. More like a screening; he asked questions about the nature of my work, obviously to see how I would respond, to determine whether I was familiar with principles endemic to the position that they sought to fill. (3) On-site technical interview. Here, it was just me and another guy in front of a huge screen, he gave me a mouse and a keyboard and told me to make some very specific stuff happen. This went pretty smoothly until he questioned me on something that wasn't anywhere on the job description that they posted online and gave to the recruiter. I was completely blindsided, and failed miserably. Wind went out of my sails after that, I just wanted it to be over. We shook hands and I left.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to see me code Web API 2 (REST) and stored procedures (which was mentioned nowhere in the job description). Also asked me about unit testing and mocking. Apparently expected me to be familiar with Moq, as well (again, not mentioned in the job description).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (San Diego, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied on LinkedIn, received phone screen date 2 days later, received in-person interview 2 days after, received decision the following day. Smooth process. Recruiter was very nice and helpful, she also provided some potential interview questions which was helpful.

You start by having a meet and greet with the front desk and then paired with a research associate to shadow them make a few calls. You are then asked to do a quick excel exercise (nothing crazy) which utilizes the sum, filter and sort functions. After that, you are provided with a script and proceed to do a mock phone call to the manager in the office.

After the phone call, you are taken to a panel-style interview with a manager and another higher-up who ask you about your resume, work experience and a variety of questions (check out what people have posted, they are spot on)

Received a verbal offer the following day and paperwork to virtually sign and a drug test appointment.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, 42k + opportunities for overtime

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (San Diego, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

After applying you will receive an email requesting to schedule a Phone interview first with someone that doesn't live in CA. Then you will be asked for an in person second interview. During your in person you do a Mock call that is super easy and scripted. The in person interview is 4 hours long, give or take. You meet with a board of people who interview you. Then you take a drug test and background test. Pretty simple and straight forward

Interview Questions

• Do you like real estate?
      Do you like people?
      Do you like talking?
      Did you go to college?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (San Diego, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Phone interview with the head of research Followed up with an in-person. You meet with the team manager, and HR and there is a drug tests off-site. In about a week they call you with the confirmation.

Interview Questions

• If I had any real estate experience, was I comfortable talking on the phone.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (San Diego, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

submitted application online, got a call back for a phone interview two-three weeks later, then got asked for an in-person interview. At in person interview, did one skills test, and met with two managers. Recieved an offer the following week. Also had to clear a background check and a drug test.

People that work here are relatively young, out of college 1-5 years. Although this is a real estate reasearch company, most people don't have a real estate background, and have lame college degrees if any (ie history, women studies, etc.)

Interview Questions

• No difficult Q's. All were typical behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Due to the crappy economy, I did not negotiate my salary. Although in retrospect I should have. When I applied for this job I really didn't intend to stay at it for more than 1 yr, so I wouldn't have anything to lose by asking for a higher base. Base starts at $40K, although if you have a legit college degree (ie business, real estate, finance, acctg, planning) and related real estate experience, you should def ask for $40K to $44K.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (San Diego, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

It starts off with a phone interview. Then about a week later they call you in for an in person interview where you speak with the head of hr, then interview with a manager, and then finally by a director. If you got the job, they inform you within a couple of days.