CoStar Group Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

2.5

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied on the costar on my own. I received an email a few days later requesting I set up at phone interview time with the HR manager. She called me that same week and we discussed the benefits of the job and other details about how an in person interview would go, should I be selected to do one. After the phone interview she said based on our conversation she would like to set me up with an in person interview.

I took the redline to the D.C. Office which was really beautiful on the inside. Everyone I came in contact with was positive and welcoming. I sat down with the Hr manager who was really nice and went over how the 2 hour interview was going to go.

Next, I shadowed this really sweet girl and we discussed how she works everyday I got to do a mock phone call which was fun. After sitting with her for a while I met with three managers.

The first manager asked basic questions about my background and history and was a little more serious than the other two. I was asked really straight forward questions. I then me with the other two managers who were SUPER down to earth and kind. We had a very enjoyable interview. I was offered coffee or water on multiple occasions.

Although the interview ended up being almost 3 hours, it was enjoyable and informative. I left with high spirits and feeling positive about possibly working there in the future

Interview Questions

• How does your previous experience prepare you for sales?   Answer Question
    • What will motivate you to come in here and work hard everyday   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

Interviewed during an Open House day in the Washington DC location. Started with a speech from the VP of Research about the company and its history. Next, went to a side-by-side with someone currently in the Research Associate role. Finally, had an one-on-one interview with a Research Manager. Overall, average interview difficulty. They really just wanted to know more about my job history and where I felt like I was headed. I got a call exactly a week later with an offer. I accepted a day later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

If you can go to one of their Open Houses, do so. It will give you a great idea as to what the "research position" actually entails. The whole thing is about 2 hours. There will be a small presentation, a sit-in with an actual employee (you can observe how they work), and then you will have your interview.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend after applying online. I was then contacted by a recruiter for a 15-minute phone call. We discussed the scope of the role and my background before she asked a few questions.

She then forwarded my resume to the recruiting manager and we had another 15 minute phone call to go over more specifics about the job and the set up an interview.

I was the contacted by a different recruiter (DC office) who walked me through what to expect for the interview and to prep me for the questions they'd ask. He was REALLY helpful!

The wait was not long. He met me in the lobby and escorted me to a kind of communal area and he described the office to me and the atmosphere. He described some of the unofficial benefits: Gym, personal trainer who teaches classes, partial reimbursement for metro, free lunch, etc. After 15 minutes, a current research associate came down and got me for the first phase of the interview: The Side-By-Side.

The side-by-side was straightforward and helpful in gauging if the office and atmosphere is for you. You observe the associate making calls and working the system. They walk you through it. It's good to do some research on the company before this so that you can ask relevant questions and demonstrate some knowledge. She was impressed by this (the associate you shadow evaluates you). After observing, you then do a mock call. This isn't about how well you know the system. It's about your comfort on the phone! You call someone else in the office and have a script you can follow so don't stress. But don't bother interviewing in the first place if you're not comfortable on the phone. Anyways, after the call, you ask questions and talk more. Again, ask good questions.

Next is the first interview with a manager. First they ask a bit about your background and then it's all about behavioral questions. Be sure you always tie it back to the job and the role responsibilities. Give some context. Describe the actions you took and what the result was. After their questions, you ask questions. Ask questions that came up in the side-by-side. Ask about the culture. Ask about their metrics, because those are important to the job. Ask about how they got to their position or into this field. Ask about what they look for in a successful candidate. Ask about how to excel and advance at CoStar. Just make sure you demonstrate enthusiasm for the job and the company!

Then you have another interview with another manager. Same rules apply a for this one. Demonstrate that you understand the job is a lot of phone work and that you're comfortable with that. Ask a lot of questions! They let you bring a notebook to take notes and write down questions for your interviews so make sure you have a lot! Write some before you even arrive for the interview! They appreciate it. They cut out time for the questions so take advantage of it. My biggest piece of advice is DO NOT answer with generic answers. Give specific examples!

After finishing the interviews, I was escorted back to my recruiter. He explained that the managers and the girl I shadowed would convene and discuss everything and then they'd listen to my call (yes, it's recorded). Then he'd call me within the next week and let me know their decision. I interviewed on a Friday and received an offer three days later on Monday.

They make an informal offer over the phone and pick a start date for your month of training. They then email you the formal offer package. There is a background check and a drug test that you have to complete within 48 hours of receiving the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to get information out of someone who was being difficult/did not want to reveal it.   1 Answer
    • What is your greatest achievement?   1 Answer
    • Why CoStar?   Answer Question
    • Why commercial real estate?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to be a Research Associate?   1 Answer

Research Associate I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process went very quickly. Had a phone interview and was asked to come in for an in-person two days later. I interviewed with two different people for 45 minutes each and then shadowed someone for 45 minutes. Honestly don't understand why the process was so long seeing this job could be done by anyone.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

You first have a point of contact with a recruiter from the company. Then from a hiring manager if approved from the company. It took about a week in a half for me to get a call back. The recruiter does a lot to see if you are a great fit to move forward and schedules the second interview if a hiring manager is interested in your credentials

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company? How long have you been in sales and how many appointments do you have weekly? Do you work well with a team dynamic with a territory ?   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

I only had the phone screening. The phone screening questions were .NET and responsive front-end related. They were rapid fire. The asked me about 30 questions in 15 minutes. They continually asked me a new question while I was answering a previous question. I would get 2 words out and zip, the next question came. They felt like if they got the answer they liked then they just moved on to the next question. Not really the best way to communicate, in my opinion.

I answered over 90% of the questions correctly. They felt like a couple of my JavaScript answers weren't strong enough so they elected not to interview me in person. I found that bazaar considering I answered almost every question correctly. What, does Costar think they are the best company in the world?!?!? My references from prior CTOs are sterling and prove I have been a value asset. I found it insulting that they chose not to interview me over something minor.

Either way, I have a new job somewhere else that is more respectful!

Interview Questions

• Describe JavaScript using strict.   1 Answer
    • When do you use Group By in SQL?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

The building is new and glamorous. The HR telephone interview is of great use, however, when it boils down to sit and meet the managers for the final interview you may be left empty and uncertain. I thought that the HR telephone interview was better, more informal and indicative towards receiving full feedback. The HR professional obviously scheduled the whole interview process and should receive a golden star for their effort on recruiting. When you ask them questions about the overall organization of the company, they get defensive about it. This is not a place that one can grow experience, rather seems a repetitive job, even know the job can be done anywhere, telecommuting is not permitted. Again, this is a job that requires 90% phone work and most of the time depending on which region you do make the phone calls, you won't get a response so you skip the callers and move on. Boring, but did not see the creative edge to this job. It's something that one can do at home considering but it's not an option. Managers think that you may know exactly what the job entails by HR which is not true, the HR is there to prepare to kick butt on the interview. You will know what the job entails whenever you do get to sit down with a Researcher and observe their work, that's the bottom line. Overall, managers may ask bad questions, although it wont be mentioned in your critique if you want to know why you did not get hired. It seems offering good answers to questions and then being told otherwise is a huge issue on the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to become a Research Associate.   1 Answer

Research Associate II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Pretty straightforward, phone interview and in-person. The in-person consists of you meeting with a director, manager, and a research associate. Not very challenging, just prepare and you will do fine.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Could not negotiate at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in June 2016.

Interview

The process was pretty smooth. It's a two-part interview and takes up a total of 2.5 hours. The first hour is spent shadowing a research Associate at their desk. You watch them conduct a phone interview and how they collect information for their database. The RA will ask you to make a mock phone call but it's not very difficult seeing as though you are given a script to read from and the call is placed to an employee within the office. The second part of the interview is a sit down panel style discussion with Research team managers. They will ask you general questions about your resume, your work ethic, your duties as a RA, and try to guage you general interest and commitment to CoStar and commercial real estate. It's important to remain enthusiastic and excited about CoStar and commercial real estate.

Interview Questions

• Why commercial real estate? Why CoStar? Where do you see your self a year from now? If you could have any job a year from now what would it be? How are your time management skills?   Answer Question