CoStar Group Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

2.9

33 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Phone contact follwed by in house interview. Very friendly and compassionate people.
    After the interview came to understand that they lack the vision and power to bring in Sr. Level individuals - its almost like they are afraid to. Salary offered is lower than market -(which is unexplainable since they claim to be a Billion dollar company. Average Benefits. Advice: Talent Acquisition has to be GUSTY and BOLD in today world. In today's world employee's make the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

Went in for an interview for research associate position back in May. I met with 2 different hiring managers and felt that I had great interviews and discussions with them. I was told that they "weren't hiring as aggressively" as they used to be, but that if I hadn't heard from them I should take it as a positive sign that they are preparing an offer. After not hearing back the entire month of June, I assumed that this was a good sign. Was finally emailed in July by a lady who wasn't even my recruiter and notified that they had moved on with another candidate...Don't even waste your time applying for this company. Completely unorganized hiring process and they are experts at leading candidates on

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

If you can go to one of their Open Houses, do so. It will give you a great idea as to what the "research position" actually entails. The whole thing is about 2 hours. There will be a small presentation, a sit-in with an actual employee (you can observe how they work), and then you will have your interview.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

I only had the phone screening. The phone screening questions were .NET and responsive front-end related. They were rapid fire. The asked me about 30 questions in 15 minutes. They continually asked me a new question while I was answering a previous question. I would get 2 words out and zip, the next question came. They felt like if they got the answer they liked then they just moved on to the next question. Not really the best way to communicate, in my opinion.

I answered over 90% of the questions correctly. They felt like a couple of my JavaScript answers weren't strong enough so they elected not to interview me in person. I found that bazaar considering I answered almost every question correctly. What, does Costar think they are the best company in the world?!?!? My references from prior CTOs are sterling and prove I have been a value asset. I found it insulting that they chose not to interview me over something minor.

Either way, I have a new job somewhere else that is more respectful!

Interview Questions

• Describe JavaScript using strict.   1 Answer
    • When do you use Group By in SQL?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

The building is new and glamorous. The HR telephone interview is of great use, however, when it boils down to sit and meet the managers for the final interview you may be left empty and uncertain. I thought that the HR telephone interview was better, more informal and indicative towards receiving full feedback. The HR professional obviously scheduled the whole interview process and should receive a golden star for their effort on recruiting. When you ask them questions about the overall organization of the company, they get defensive about it. This is not a place that one can grow experience, rather seems a repetitive job, even know the job can be done anywhere, telecommuting is not permitted. Again, this is a job that requires 90% phone work and most of the time depending on which region you do make the phone calls, you won't get a response so you skip the callers and move on. Boring, but did not see the creative edge to this job. It's something that one can do at home considering but it's not an option. Managers think that you may know exactly what the job entails by HR which is not true, the HR is there to prepare to kick butt on the interview. You will know what the job entails whenever you do get to sit down with a Researcher and observe their work, that's the bottom line. Overall, managers may ask bad questions, although it wont be mentioned in your critique if you want to know why you did not get hired. It seems offering good answers to questions and then being told otherwise is a huge issue on the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to become a Research Associate.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in June 2016.

Interview

The process was pretty smooth. It's a two-part interview and takes up a total of 2.5 hours. The first hour is spent shadowing a research Associate at their desk. You watch them conduct a phone interview and how they collect information for their database. The RA will ask you to make a mock phone call but it's not very difficult seeing as though you are given a script to read from and the call is placed to an employee within the office. The second part of the interview is a sit down panel style discussion with Research team managers. They will ask you general questions about your resume, your work ethic, your duties as a RA, and try to guage you general interest and commitment to CoStar and commercial real estate. It's important to remain enthusiastic and excited about CoStar and commercial real estate.

Interview Questions

• Why commercial real estate? Why CoStar? Where do you see your self a year from now? If you could have any job a year from now what would it be? How are your time management skills?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fairly smooth. It was like any other standard interview that one has gone to. I was asked a series of questions so that they could see why I was interested in the job as well as the company. They also asked about how I possibly wanted to further my career.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Pretty straight forward. Started off with a half hour phone interview with a recruiter. Went over my resume, asked for specific examples, asked why I was interested in the job. Was invited for an in person interview at the office. There are three parts to the interview. First is very informal, lasted about half an hour, and was kind of a last minute prep with the recruiter. From there a current employee picks you up and you shadow them for half an hour. There is a quick Excel exercise, and you have to do a mock phone call, but you can just read off the script. From there you are taken to the third part, which is you and two managers. They are big on why you want to start a career in Commercial Real Estate, and why CoStar. Honestly if you knock those two out of the park and do below average on the rest you still might get the job, that's how much they weigh those questions. Overall good experience, everyone was nice and the office was pretty cool too.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was pretty quick and from the time I submitted my resume to final decision took about 2 weeks. The first interview was a quick screening interview via phone that took about 20 minutes and from there I was asked to come in for an in-office interview. There were three other candidates and the whole interview took about 3 hours. Started off with an HR overview of the job, shadowing of a real research associate, and then finally a one-on-one interview with a Research Manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

This interview process was very long and extensive.

- 45 minute phone screening
    -In person interview done in 3 parts : HR / Recruiting Overview, side by side with a Research Associate (Mock phone call and simple excel exercise where they ask you to sort), and a panel interview( Two people from management).

Though the process was long, it was pleasant for the most part. The only issue I had was with the lack of professionalism when it came to letting the people you've interviewed know that you didn't see them fit for the position. They assure you that they will let you know their decision in the coming days but you don't hear from them unless they are sending an offer. All thank you and follow up letters are ignored. Even the recruiter who made empty promises and called/emailed you often to make sure you get to the interview doesn't respond. Jobs I didn't even get interviews for have the decency to send letters. A simple email takes two-seconds to write. It ruins the whole experience and leaves a negative outlook on the company.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in commercial real estate?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to quickly adjust to a changing situation. How did you handle that?   Answer Question