CoStar Group Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 3, 2017

2.5

110 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Initially had a phone screen with a recruiter after I submitted a resume. Average phone screen, asked about back ground, asked about expected salary. Scheduled interview for one week later.

First, met with a current research associate and went over her day to day. Listened to a few calls that she made and then made a mock call of my own to another associate about. For the call the you are given a script to read off of. Next, met with two managers. Pretty standard interview. Reviewed my resume and background, asked why Costar, why real estate. Standard. At the end met with the VP of Research, closed with a recap and any questions I may have.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Phone contact follwed by in house interview. Very friendly and compassionate people.
    After the interview came to understand that they lack the vision and power to bring in Sr. Level individuals - its almost like they are afraid to. Salary offered is lower than market -(which is unexplainable since they claim to be a Billion dollar company. Average Benefits. Advice: Talent Acquisition has to be GUSTY and BOLD in today world. In today's world employee's make the company.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied on the costar on my own. I received an email a few days later requesting I set up at phone interview time with the HR manager. She called me that same week and we discussed the benefits of the job and other details about how an in person interview would go, should I be selected to do one. After the phone interview she said based on our conversation she would like to set me up with an in person interview.

I took the redline to the D.C. Office which was really beautiful on the inside. Everyone I came in contact with was positive and welcoming. I sat down with the Hr manager who was really nice and went over how the 2 hour interview was going to go.

Next, I shadowed this really sweet girl and we discussed how she works everyday I got to do a mock phone call which was fun. After sitting with her for a while I met with three managers.

The first manager asked basic questions about my background and history and was a little more serious than the other two. I was asked really straight forward questions. I then me with the other two managers who were SUPER down to earth and kind. We had a very enjoyable interview. I was offered coffee or water on multiple occasions.

Although the interview ended up being almost 3 hours, it was enjoyable and informative. I left with high spirits and feeling positive about possibly working there in the future

Interview Questions

• How does your previous experience prepare you for sales?   Answer Question
    • What will motivate you to come in here and work hard everyday   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

Went in for an interview for research associate position back in May. I met with 2 different hiring managers and felt that I had great interviews and discussions with them. I was told that they "weren't hiring as aggressively" as they used to be, but that if I hadn't heard from them I should take it as a positive sign that they are preparing an offer. After not hearing back the entire month of June, I assumed that this was a good sign. Was finally emailed in July by a lady who wasn't even my recruiter and notified that they had moved on with another candidate...Don't even waste your time applying for this company. Completely unorganized hiring process and they are experts at leading candidates on

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

Interviewed during an Open House day in the Washington DC location. Started with a speech from the VP of Research about the company and its history. Next, went to a side-by-side with someone currently in the Research Associate role. Finally, had an one-on-one interview with a Research Manager. Overall, average interview difficulty. They really just wanted to know more about my job history and where I felt like I was headed. I got a call exactly a week later with an offer. I accepted a day later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

If you can go to one of their Open Houses, do so. It will give you a great idea as to what the "research position" actually entails. The whole thing is about 2 hours. There will be a small presentation, a sit-in with an actual employee (you can observe how they work), and then you will have your interview.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend after applying online. I was then contacted by a recruiter for a 15-minute phone call. We discussed the scope of the role and my background before she asked a few questions.

She then forwarded my resume to the recruiting manager and we had another 15 minute phone call to go over more specifics about the job and the set up an interview.

I was the contacted by a different recruiter (DC office) who walked me through what to expect for the interview and to prep me for the questions they'd ask. He was REALLY helpful!

The wait was not long. He met me in the lobby and escorted me to a kind of communal area and he described the office to me and the atmosphere. He described some of the unofficial benefits: Gym, personal trainer who teaches classes, partial reimbursement for metro, free lunch, etc. After 15 minutes, a current research associate came down and got me for the first phase of the interview: The Side-By-Side.

The side-by-side was straightforward and helpful in gauging if the office and atmosphere is for you. You observe the associate making calls and working the system. They walk you through it. It's good to do some research on the company before this so that you can ask relevant questions and demonstrate some knowledge. She was impressed by this (the associate you shadow evaluates you). After observing, you then do a mock call. This isn't about how well you know the system. It's about your comfort on the phone! You call someone else in the office and have a script you can follow so don't stress. But don't bother interviewing in the first place if you're not comfortable on the phone. Anyways, after the call, you ask questions and talk more. Again, ask good questions.

Next is the first interview with a manager. First they ask a bit about your background and then it's all about behavioral questions. Be sure you always tie it back to the job and the role responsibilities. Give some context. Describe the actions you took and what the result was. After their questions, you ask questions. Ask questions that came up in the side-by-side. Ask about the culture. Ask about their metrics, because those are important to the job. Ask about how they got to their position or into this field. Ask about what they look for in a successful candidate. Ask about how to excel and advance at CoStar. Just make sure you demonstrate enthusiasm for the job and the company!

Then you have another interview with another manager. Same rules apply a for this one. Demonstrate that you understand the job is a lot of phone work and that you're comfortable with that. Ask a lot of questions! They let you bring a notebook to take notes and write down questions for your interviews so make sure you have a lot! Write some before you even arrive for the interview! They appreciate it. They cut out time for the questions so take advantage of it. My biggest piece of advice is DO NOT answer with generic answers. Give specific examples!

After finishing the interviews, I was escorted back to my recruiter. He explained that the managers and the girl I shadowed would convene and discuss everything and then they'd listen to my call (yes, it's recorded). Then he'd call me within the next week and let me know their decision. I interviewed on a Friday and received an offer three days later on Monday.

They make an informal offer over the phone and pick a start date for your month of training. They then email you the formal offer package. There is a background check and a drug test that you have to complete within 48 hours of receiving the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to get information out of someone who was being difficult/did not want to reveal it.   1 Answer
    • What is your greatest achievement?   1 Answer
    • Why CoStar?   Answer Question
    • Why commercial real estate?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to be a Research Associate?   1 Answer

Research Associate I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process went very quickly. Had a phone interview and was asked to come in for an in-person two days later. I interviewed with two different people for 45 minutes each and then shadowed someone for 45 minutes. Honestly don't understand why the process was so long seeing this job could be done by anyone.

Research Photographer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

Two phones calls, about 10-15 minutes each, then a job offer. It wasn't as much of an interview as it was the interviewer explaining the job and asking if you're interested.

The job description was misleading, and it wasn't until week two of training in Washington DC that they admitted to us that the job was nothing like what we were told it would be. It must be hard finding new employees, if you have to resort to blatant lies when recruiting people.

Interview Questions

• Does this sound like a job that you would enjoy?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

I had a total of 5 interviews but that was because I ended up in a different department after an in person interview. HR is a bit messy so it took a long time including 2 phone interviews and then a couple in person interviews. You get briefed by the HR associate, then do a side-by-side with a current employee and have to do a mock call with another associate. You then meet with a team of managers who ask you a bunch of standard unoriginal questions. You may get lucky and then meet the director.

Interview Questions

• General Questions, like what led you to CoStar, what led you to commercial real estate, what is your 5 year plan and such.   1 Answer