CoStar Group Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 24, 2017

2.5

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

You first have a point of contact with a recruiter from the company. Then from a hiring manager if approved from the company. It took about a week in a half for me to get a call back. The recruiter does a lot to see if you are a great fit to move forward and schedules the second interview if a hiring manager is interested in your credentials

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company? How long have you been in sales and how many appointments do you have weekly? Do you work well with a team dynamic with a territory ?   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

I only had the phone screening. The phone screening questions were .NET and responsive front-end related. They were rapid fire. The asked me about 30 questions in 15 minutes. They continually asked me a new question while I was answering a previous question. I would get 2 words out and zip, the next question came. They felt like if they got the answer they liked then they just moved on to the next question. Not really the best way to communicate, in my opinion.

I answered over 90% of the questions correctly. They felt like a couple of my JavaScript answers weren't strong enough so they elected not to interview me in person. I found that bazaar considering I answered almost every question correctly. What, does Costar think they are the best company in the world?!?!? My references from prior CTOs are sterling and prove I have been a value asset. I found it insulting that they chose not to interview me over something minor.

Either way, I have a new job somewhere else that is more respectful!

Interview Questions

• Describe JavaScript using strict.   1 Answer
    • When do you use Group By in SQL?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

The building is new and glamorous. The HR telephone interview is of great use, however, when it boils down to sit and meet the managers for the final interview you may be left empty and uncertain. I thought that the HR telephone interview was better, more informal and indicative towards receiving full feedback. The HR professional obviously scheduled the whole interview process and should receive a golden star for their effort on recruiting. When you ask them questions about the overall organization of the company, they get defensive about it. This is not a place that one can grow experience, rather seems a repetitive job, even know the job can be done anywhere, telecommuting is not permitted. Again, this is a job that requires 90% phone work and most of the time depending on which region you do make the phone calls, you won't get a response so you skip the callers and move on. Boring, but did not see the creative edge to this job. It's something that one can do at home considering but it's not an option. Managers think that you may know exactly what the job entails by HR which is not true, the HR is there to prepare to kick butt on the interview. You will know what the job entails whenever you do get to sit down with a Researcher and observe their work, that's the bottom line. Overall, managers may ask bad questions, although it wont be mentioned in your critique if you want to know why you did not get hired. It seems offering good answers to questions and then being told otherwise is a huge issue on the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to become a Research Associate.   1 Answer

Research Associate II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Pretty straightforward, phone interview and in-person. The in-person consists of you meeting with a director, manager, and a research associate. Not very challenging, just prepare and you will do fine.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Could not negotiate at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in June 2016.

Interview

The process was pretty smooth. It's a two-part interview and takes up a total of 2.5 hours. The first hour is spent shadowing a research Associate at their desk. You watch them conduct a phone interview and how they collect information for their database. The RA will ask you to make a mock phone call but it's not very difficult seeing as though you are given a script to read from and the call is placed to an employee within the office. The second part of the interview is a sit down panel style discussion with Research team managers. They will ask you general questions about your resume, your work ethic, your duties as a RA, and try to guage you general interest and commitment to CoStar and commercial real estate. It's important to remain enthusiastic and excited about CoStar and commercial real estate.

Interview Questions

• Why commercial real estate? Why CoStar? Where do you see your self a year from now? If you could have any job a year from now what would it be? How are your time management skills?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Brief,concise interview for 30 minutes and see the floor. Shadow employee for an hour. See the building and have any questions answered. Very useful and efficient interview process. Took a couple hours but the time went by fast trying to soak everything in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fairly smooth. It was like any other standard interview that one has gone to. I was asked a series of questions so that they could see why I was interested in the job as well as the company. They also asked about how I possibly wanted to further my career.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Pretty easy process. First, I had a phone interview and then I went in for an in person interview. I met with a research associate, manager, and then a research director.

Interview Questions

• How does the company make money?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

First step is short phone interview with recruiter, basic questions, why real estate? why costar? Next is in person interview at HQ with 3 different parts. 1st part is quick meet and greet with recruiter. 2nd is side by side with senior research associate, short mock phone call and excel exercise( filter, sort, sum). 3rd is panel interview with two mangers . From time of application to time of offer was less than 2 weeks, very fast process.

Interview Questions

• Why Costar?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had to works as a team and what was your responsibility, the end goal, and results.   Answer Question

Territory Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

Interview process was very professional and thorough. First received an email after submitting my application online. A week later I got an email requesting available times to set up a phone interview. A few days later, the recruiter promptly called me at the specified time, and was extremely nice. She answered every question I had, and from there she asked me to come in for an in person interview a few days later. I even emailed her additional questions late that night after speaking with her, and she responded within 24 hrs with again, through answers. The in person interview consisted of a brief overview with the recruiters, then a one on one with a current employee that involved critiquing a call and making a scripted call, then I met with the director whom was very nice and personable, and lastly met with a manager who was also very friendly and laid back. It was mainly conversational about my experience and my desired career path.
    Received an offer the evening that I had the in person interview!

Overall great experience!