CoStar Group Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 3, 2017

2.5

110 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in January 2013.

Interview

The interview was uncomfortable. The interviewer was rude and condescending. He did not understand why I was interested in the position. He cut off a lot of my responses. I knew the interview was over before it really began.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

You first have a point of contact with a recruiter from the company. Then from a hiring manager if approved from the company. It took about a week in a half for me to get a call back. The recruiter does a lot to see if you are a great fit to move forward and schedules the second interview if a hiring manager is interested in your credentials

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company? How long have you been in sales and how many appointments do you have weekly? Do you work well with a team dynamic with a territory ?   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

I only had the phone screening. The phone screening questions were .NET and responsive front-end related. They were rapid fire. The asked me about 30 questions in 15 minutes. They continually asked me a new question while I was answering a previous question. I would get 2 words out and zip, the next question came. They felt like if they got the answer they liked then they just moved on to the next question. Not really the best way to communicate, in my opinion.

I answered over 90% of the questions correctly. They felt like a couple of my JavaScript answers weren't strong enough so they elected not to interview me in person. I found that bazaar considering I answered almost every question correctly. What, does Costar think they are the best company in the world?!?!? My references from prior CTOs are sterling and prove I have been a value asset. I found it insulting that they chose not to interview me over something minor.

Either way, I have a new job somewhere else that is more respectful!

Interview Questions

• Describe JavaScript using strict.   1 Answer
    • When do you use Group By in SQL?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in September 2012.

Interview

took about 3 hours, met with director, research manager and hr recruiter

Interview Questions

Negotiation

its a all-set position, no negotiating

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in January 2013.

Interview

It starts off with a phone interview asking you the traditional interview questions. After screening you to make sure you're not totally incompetent, they either send you to an on-campus interview session or straight through to HQ.

While their new "state-of-the-art building" is a wow-factor going in, you'll get a sense that something is amiss in the company. The research director was incredibly honest with me in saying they had a very high attrition/turnover rate within the first year. I think he said the number for research associate was 70% if not higher. There is a good reason for that. It seemed like a job you would get bored at very quickly. The pay may be high but the reason they do this is to try and incentivize better workers who won't shirk.

I was almost highly impressed by CoStar until I got through the final round of interviews. I was told I would receive a final decision within the week. I waited a week- no answer. I waited two weeks and placed a call to check in with them and they said they'd call me back which they did not. After finally a little over a month, I call for what was at least the fifth time only to be told that I was qualified for the position but that I was not "passionate enough" about the job and that I didn't give enough details about my experience. Maybe it was because I was recovering from the flu going in. But if you have enough passion for real estate, cold calling and sales, and can convince yourself that you want to stay here for more than a year- then have at it. But don't say the reviews didn't warn you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

I randomly ran into a recruiter as he walked out the building in DC. I had a quick interview via phone with him. Then I was brought to the dc headquarters for a day long interview process which included 2 interviews, lunch, a building tour, and a 'side by side' with a current researcher.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very generic and most asked you to describe a time or experience in which you dealt with a certain situation or overcoming a challenge. The hardest part for me was the simulated phone conversion test they give you. Make sure not to say "ummm" a lot.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2012.

Interview

I was selected to interview which I elected to have to pay for my flight. It was easy just study the company be ready to do a live call after you meet with a recuiter. Than you meet the manager who goes over the position. Afterwards, if you pass that you meet with the director who interviews you. The office is in a good location. Overall, the interview I thought was good.

Interview Questions

I declined the position the company refused to pay for my flight after I got the job. The company requested me to front the money for the flight. Additionally, I found the company salary is stated $40,000 eventhough, I am completing my MBA they can not come up on an offer. The job I had currently pays me more.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

I had a total of 5 interviews but that was because I ended up in a different department after an in person interview. HR is a bit messy so it took a long time including 2 phone interviews and then a couple in person interviews. You get briefed by the HR associate, then do a side-by-side with a current employee and have to do a mock call with another associate. You then meet with a team of managers who ask you a bunch of standard unoriginal questions. You may get lucky and then meet the director.

Interview Questions

• General Questions, like what led you to CoStar, what led you to commercial real estate, what is your 5 year plan and such.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Initially had a phone screen with a recruiter after I submitted a resume. Average phone screen, asked about back ground, asked about expected salary. Scheduled interview for one week later.

First, met with a current research associate and went over her day to day. Listened to a few calls that she made and then made a mock call of my own to another associate about. For the call the you are given a script to read off of. Next, met with two managers. Pretty standard interview. Reviewed my resume and background, asked why Costar, why real estate. Standard. At the end met with the VP of Research, closed with a recap and any questions I may have.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

Went in for an interview for research associate position back in May. I met with 2 different hiring managers and felt that I had great interviews and discussions with them. I was told that they "weren't hiring as aggressively" as they used to be, but that if I hadn't heard from them I should take it as a positive sign that they are preparing an offer. After not hearing back the entire month of June, I assumed that this was a good sign. Was finally emailed in July by a lady who wasn't even my recruiter and notified that they had moved on with another candidate...Don't even waste your time applying for this company. Completely unorganized hiring process and they are experts at leading candidates on